User Tag List

Thread: K&n Sri no air straightner for maf?

Default K&n Sri no air straightner for maf?

Hi all just a few questions in regards to the maf air straightener. Ok so I'm thinking about getting a k&n Sri (part no 69-6011TS) off of eBay for my 2006 Mps, now I'm confused to why the k&n Sri supposedly doesn't come with an air straightener? Can't I just use the stock one or won't it fit with the k&n maf adapter? I know the aem and other intakes come with a straightener but really want the k&n Sri because of the heat shield but think its a little dodgy that they don't come with an air straightener.

Cheers guys

Plenty of US guys on MSF running them with no issues... Id say go for it if you are set on that one
    Last edited by dazza; 10-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.

None on the CPE big maf I'm running

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

See the thing is I'm just running a stock tune and I thought the reason for the straighteners was so that the maf would get more accurate readings. I remember I took the air straigtener out of my old proton Gti's afm when I put a adapter and pod filter on and it made it run like balls, put the straightener back in and it was running great again, note that this was a universal super cheap adapter pod btw nothing fancy like the typhoon intake so I'd assume k&n would have religiously tested the air fuel readings to say it's safe and designed to work with the standard ecu settings.
    Last edited by Trevnutz; 10-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.

@SMOKEY had some recent feedback about MAF air straighteners from Corksport.

From what I've been reading I have only heard positive reviews for the K&n intake. In regards to smokey Yeah I think I saw that about his air straightener coming loose or something

My intake didn't come with air straightener n used to get cel every now n then. Got a second hand one from wreckers n no cel since then

Go for the Corksport turbo inlet and sri and airbox combo...I'm running it without the straightener and no problems at all. Good thing as well is it has a dry flow filter so no need to oil it up everytime you clean it and such.

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    Go for the Corksport turbo inlet and sri and airbox combo...I'm running it without the straightener and no problems at all. Good thing as well is it has a dry flow filter so no need to oil it up everytime you clean it and such.
    Ditto minus airbox.
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Had both a Mazdaspeed CAI and Cork sport SRI when I had my Gen 1 3MPS. The car ran better when the intakes had air straighteners fitted, even though they were both okay without.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Does the standard mps airbox even come with an air straigtener? My old
    gti had a built in air straightener in the afm housing it was a silver square honey comb peice that u could take out of the afm?

Yes - my corksport air straightener fell out, and was floating about in my pod until I discovered it as part of an unrelated job. Was sucking up into the intake at times and blocking it causing flat spots.

Glued it back in place but have since taken it out,

Reading and confirmation from Tyler at corksport shows that the car runs better without it, makes more power and more smoothly. It's only required for custom tunes in cold climates - like snow cold.

So don't stress.

Is that a yes in regards to the stock system having a straightner? Wow that's lucky doesn't sound good at all. I'll see when I install my sri when it arrives. Not stressing to much just my OCD kicking in lol. Cheers for the replies guys!

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Yes - my corksport air straightener fell out, and was floating about in my pod until I discovered it as part of an unrelated job. Was sucking up into the intake at times and blocking it causing flat spots.

Glued it back in place but have since taken it out,

Reading and confirmation from Tyler at corksport shows that the car runs better without it, makes more power and more smoothly. It's only required for custom tunes in cold climates - like snow cold.

So don't stress.
    Do the Gen 2's need the straightner or they throw CELs, i have the Corksport here ready to throw on and a tube of superglue, if the new models don't need it i'll rip it out, if anyone can confirm...and it wil be Ecutecked afterwards

No issues. Leave it out.

Smokey is correct, the gen 1's and 2's don't need the air straightener unless you want it in cold climates and custom tuning. You'll be fine without the Air Straightener on the CS Stage 2 SRI

im about to put in a 3.25" MAF housing in my 6, and i want to remove any issues with tuning while calibrating the MAF sensor, so im putting in a honey comb air straightener, i think it adds to the accuracy of the MAF which is arguably the most important sensor in the MPS to have accurate.

my 2c