User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BNR stage 3 vs GT30 turbos

Default BNR stage 3 vs GT30 turbos

In case people are wondering, here is how they perform on standard "pump" gas (no meth, no E85)

both were e-tuned by atvfreek (who's tuning me) and both live in same area (thread here: BNR S3 and GTX3071 comparison - Mazdaspeed Forums)

but, here is the dyno graph for those whom are interested:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BNRGT.jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	11893

mod list for BNR:
    Catted full exhaust
    FMIC
    Cobb SRI + TIH
    HPFP internals

GTX3071:
    3.25" MAF + BT inlet
    HPFP
    DNP manifold
    catless DP
    FMIC
    ported intake manifold

anyways, just thought i would throw this out there as a FYI to people looking at/for options
    the biggest limiting factor on both cars is that normal petrol just isnt knock resistant enough to allow them to push more power (also the injectors down allow more than about 400whp)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Wonder what TH could do with the power curve with these turbos? As even bigger turbos are simular ... @Cton time for GTX lol

@RedDjinn
    No, i wont go big turbo. my goals are based on '100% stock turbo'
    But lets sat my turbo dies tomorrow, i would go BNR S3.

With the extra mods on that GT30 it is very similar seems the S3 is more daily then high rpm monster. Very interesting but this just confirms my interest in the S3 is more to my liking since it would be cheaper then a GT series turbo and im not after more then 350whp, just something that is reliable and obviously quick but nothing insane

i wanna see a GT3071R vs GTX3071!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    With the extra mods on that GT30 it is very similar seems the S3 is more daily then high rpm monster. Very interesting but this just confirms my interest in the S3 is more to my liking since it would be cheaper then a GT series turbo and im not after more then 350whp, just something that is reliable and obviously quick but nothing insane
    a GT30 with extra fuelling (meth/extra injectors) will do substantially better than a BNRS3...
    but if you dont want to go that complicated, in terms of power:$$$ a S3 is very hard to go past

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    i wanna see a GT3071R vs GTX3071!
    Garrett GTX Turbo Comparo Part 2 » PERRIN Performance Official Blog <-- close enough?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

BNR S3 looks like my next turbo

BNR is my next turbo
    Just awaiting a few last mods and then tune time

BNR seems to have it on paper as a daily/circut track car - hits harder, sooner, and more torque. win, win and win.

Great thread find! Cheers!

How do we go comparing these power results in the states to our dyno results here in AUS? Just wondering because these numbers seem rather large even with the BNR S3 its 340whp which is about 240kw@ the front wheels that is immense power and then the GT30 is 300kw @ wheels... Im not doubting they can attain these numbers in the States but they must have happy dynos or the dyno's i've been on are rather harsh...
    Like a modified Golf R only missing Meth Injection cracked 204kw @ all 4 and my friends stage 3 Focus RS got 235kw @ fronts, i personally cracked 190 on this dyno if they are saying in the states that i can get over 350whp with a BNR S3 and 2XS goodies i'll be very impressed, and shocked, i'm only expecting 210kws@ wheels

I know numbers are number and how the thing drives and feels is more important but we are talking over 10% extra power then i would expect, is the Cobb AP really that much better then a Custom Mazedit Tune?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

How do we go comparing these power results in the states to our dyno results here in AUS? Just wondering because these numbers seem rather large even with the BNR S3 its 340whp which is about 240kw@ the front wheels that is immense power and then the GT30 is 300kw @ wheels... Im not doubting they can attain these numbers in the States but they must have happy dynos or the dyno's i've been on are rather harsh...
    Like a modified Golf R only missing Meth Injection cracked 204kw @ all 4 and my friends stage 3 Focus RS got 235kw @ fronts, i personally cracked 190 on this dyno if they are saying in the states that i can get over 350whp with a BNR S3 and 2XS goodies i'll be very impressed, and shocked, i'm only expecting 210kws@ wheels

I know numbers are number and how the thing drives and feels is more important but we are talking over 10% extra power then i would expect, is the Cobb AP really that much better then a Custom Mazedit Tune?
    Well we can find out soon when Sam (has 3071) finishes his tune with Justin and hops on an AUS dyno!

I might be able to find out sooner i might be able to trial a friends Cobb and then running a Stage 2 map and see how it feels compared to my Mazedit but i gotta get my car running properly first lol

James whats up with ur car? You got HPF tune yeah? Did you notice a difference with the TIP?

Ok as far as numbers go, you cant compare dynos too much,
    But, ill say that ive seen one of Tunehouses customers MPS make about 240KW at the wheels with their upgraded turbo....
    And my car is making more than your hoped for 210kw with a BNR S3. and im on the stock turbo.
    But yeah, 300kw in a fwd? pointless. good for bragging. thats about all.

That uses the gt/x30 76 frames and they still state at the end the garrett suggests 5% more efficient the GTX over the GT,
    The GTX3071 on the other hand is claimed to be 15% more efficient then the GT3071.
    How much more efficient is the GT3076 over the GT3071? If the GTX3071 fills that gap well and its more responsive as claimed its a no brainer! From what Im aware the S3 BNR requires some fittment modifications anyway. Assuming that BNR is the option for those who aren't really into modding their car excessively and for stock parts retension why put S3 in and have it potentially un efficient due to its oem surrounding parts?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    a GT30 with extra fuelling (meth/extra injectors) will do substantially better than a BNRS3...
    but if you dont want to go that complicated, in terms of power:$$$ a S3 is very hard to go past

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Garrett GTX Turbo Comparo Part 2 » PERRIN Performance Official Blog <-- close enough?
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    James whats up with ur car? You got HPF tune yeah? Did you notice a difference with the TIP?
    Hey Alex its got a boost leak or something my long term furl trims vary from 10.9% - 20.8% at idle and it varies once i was idling on a car park ramp and the % decreased from 20 to about 12 over 5 min and then as soon as i took off and stopped again was at 18, i've got no idea what it is might be downpipe related or turbo related... Saying that when driving they are at 6-8% or partial and 3-4 on WOT so again no idea :S

I had the tip installed first with CAI from HP-F i made 183 with them parts a decatted (2nd one) exhaust and tune, adding a Fuel Pump and FMIC took me to 190 but it's been having issue for the past 8 months. Mid range is fine but its squeals like kettle from about 60% throttle or more had it checked for boost leaks and its fine so i'm still stumped.
    Last edited by Bakis; 08-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    That uses the gt/x30 76 frames and they still state at the end the garrett suggests 5% more efficient the GTX over the GT,
    The GTX3071 on the other hand is claimed to be 15% more efficient then the GT3071.
    How much more efficient is the GT3076 over the GT3071? If the GTX3071 fills that gap well and its more responsive as claimed its a no brainer! From what Im aware the S3 BNR requires some fittment modifications anyway. Assuming that BNR is the option for those who aren't really into modding their car excessively and for stock parts retension why put S3 in and have it potentially un efficient due to its oem surrounding parts?

Cuz the BNR s3 is a reworked K04 and insurance companies like the fact its still somewhat standard!!!! so im paying -$1000 for insurance!! where for a garrett 3076 i paid $1500
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Not really a logical answer Mate or politically correct

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Cuz the BNR s3 is a reworked K04 and insurance companies like the fact its still somewhat standard!!!! so im paying -$1000 for insurance!! where for a garrett 3076 i paid $1500
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

When comparing to an yank dyno take off at least 50 hp as their dynos read and act a bit differently to ours. Ones here are more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Not really a logical answer Mate or politically correct
    still saved me $500 per year .. thats all that matters hehehe
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast