User Tag List

Thread: Noisy Rear Diff

Default Noisy Rear Diff

Has anyone had any issues with diff wine on their 6.

My rear diff has a whine between 75-80kmh, got the dealer to have a look while it was in there today. When I picked it up, they agreed that there was a whine in the rear diff, so they had advised Mazda Australia and would get back to me me when they heard back

Hmmm, I have a whine around the same the speed, can't remember what gear will have to check tomorrow, though I've noticed the whine only in 4th or 5th and was assuming mine was gearbox oil related??? Anyone else with an answer?

I get the noise in any gear, it is worse under load, but is still there with the clutch in.

Blog Entries

If they replace it you will have the same problem in a few months.

Easiest fix for this is to get a TBE exuast so you do not hear it lol

It's a common problem. I think every MPS6 owner has asked about diff whine at some stage.

Like shin says if you get it replaced the whine will only come back when you get a few km's on the new one.

You could wait a few months and it will probably go away. It's not doing any damage.

Or if it really bothers you you could put an MPS3 switch in like I have to turn the diff off when you don't need it.

It is pretty annoying, it seems I spend most of my time doing the exact speed where the noise is worst.

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    If they replace it you will have the same problem in a few months.

Easiest fix for this is to get a TBE exuast so you do not hear it lol
    Have been thinking about that, just have to justify it to the Minister for Finance

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    It's a common problem. I think every MPS6 owner has asked about diff whine at some stage.

Like shin says if you get it replaced the whine will only come back when you get a few km's on the new one.

You could wait a few months and it will probably go away. It's not doing any damage.

Or if it really bothers you you could put an MPS3 switch in like I have to turn the diff off when you don't need it.
    My biggest problem with it is that I don't think it is acceptable for a new car to have a diff whine, I'd cop it after 100,000ks, but not 5000ks.

Bit suprised at the dealers response also.

I don't have diff whine

I don't have rear diff whine either..

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    I don't have rear diff whine either..

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post

MPS3 Switch...tell me more...

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post
    MPS3 Switch...tell me more...
    You might have read about the resonant vibration that some MPS6's have and how my car has had half the driveline replaced, but Mazda still can't resolve it. I've been in contact with guys in Australia, US, Canada, Germany and Singapore who all have the same 6th gear vibration that peaks just over 100 km/h.

Earlier this year my car spent 5 weeks at Mazda for them to "diagnose" the cause of the vibration. Still no solution. I couldn't bear the vibration anymore, especially on long trips. I was ready to sell the car.

Instead, I installed a switch to turn off the rear diff which stops the vibration. It's very simple to do, a wire spliced into the handbrake lever sensor, grounded at the other end and a switch in the middle.

I call it an MPS3 switch because it puts the car into FWD mode. It's a totally bandaid solution to Mazda's incompetence, but I get to keep my sanity and my car.

And just for clarification, this vibration is not the same thing as the diff whine.
    Last edited by kmh001; 25-04-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Gone to Volvo

I love this mod! If you have time, can you please write it up (with pics if you have the time) and put it in the DIY section. Feel free to add whichever disclaimers you want!

I get no diff whine either

It also reduces your 1/4 mile times a little if you do it after launching

I can now join the diff whine whining club...did the one knotch on the handbrake test and away went the noise

16. Default

Yea same whine I have to

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

I got a new diff installed and mounts - pretty happy about that (under warranty)

Adding some info to this, last year I changed diff mounts to the CP-e rear and Turbine tech front. All vibration and other diff problems went away but whine increased mainly around 110-120 kph 5-6th gear. After having the mounts in for almost a year and 15,000 kms the whine has all but disappeared, whilst the other annoying diff problems, vibrations etc have also gone. I'm assuming as the mounts have worn in they are not as stiff therefore less whine but stiff enough to keep everything together.

+1 for diff whine at 75kph to 80 kph.

I'm used to it now and hardly notice it anymore. I asked my dealer to look into it and got a 'the last 6MPS we had in had it and we replaced the diff and it made no difference'.

I aggree that you would expect better of a quality vehicle but I'm over it now.