User Tag List

Thread: Hi All, Needing some advice on my MPS?

Default Hi All, Needing some advice on my MPS?

Hi guys,

I am new on the forum but have joined as wanting to research clutch wear on the MPS.

I have now had my car for 15 months and am rather happy with all aspects of the MPS.
    Although i have just learnt that my clutch is on its way out at only 32,514km and is going to cost a packet through a dealer.

I have been rather respectful to the car and am baffled at how the clutch needs replacing already considering a lot of my k's are highway k's and i am a seasoned manual high performance car owner.

I am hoping the clutch is faulty in some manufacturing defect but i kind of doubt mazda australia will consider coming to he party on a wear and tear item for warranty.

Do they generally burn quite quickly even if you drive it like a mum 65% of the time?

Advice and feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    Justin

That sounds rather unusual. Mine is 66,000kms and still going strong although its a Gen 1. I'll hold out to see what the other guys say too. 32000kms is rather short lifespan of the clutch considering it is a performance vehicle. It is a wear and tear part and the stealership might try to weasel their way out of this but I reckon dont let them (easier said than done)

Did you own the car from new? 32,000km's is way premature for a clutch under normal driving conditions - but 32,000km's is also a lot of k's to do in 15 months!

as mech81 said, it is a wear item - so unfortunately even if the car is inside warranty period, it would be hard to claim. Even though you say you drive the car kindly, you can see it from a dealer's perspective - as far as they know you could be launching it at every set of lights, in which case you could burn a clutch out pretty easily. In fact - if you put your mind to it, you could burn one out pretty damn quick from abuse.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

have you owned the car from new? if so - assuming it's only 15 months old? 32,000kms is fairly premature for a clutch to wear out under normal driving style - but 32,000km's is also a few km's to cover in 15 months, so i'm guessing the car get's lots of use.

unfortunately, as was said, it's a wear and tear item. all you have to do is consider it from a dealer's perspective - for all they know you might be launching it at every set of lights, in which case you'd do a clutch pretty quick. unless you can find a service bulletin, you might be SOL.

I have a GEN II, 65000km and no clutch issues to date.

I know of someone who ruined theirs in under 20,000

A lot depends how you drive, their is a fair chunk of grunt going through that clutch, and if you drive it like you stole it that other 35% of the time, you'll wear it out fast!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lol. I'm paranoid of ruining mine. But it's bloody hard to drive it gently!

Calder Park does not help either, @LOOPYMPS

Peter "SLIXX"

There isnt THAT much grunt going through it.
    Besides, once its engaged its engaged yeah.

Im at 110k on original clutch. had it slip a month ago and I was worried but that was at a hard 2nd gear launch with launch control .
    Been fine since.

Might seem really stupid, but is your seat forward enough for you to COMPLETELY depress the clutch?

Hey guys,

Yes is rather unusual and annoying. Jmac thanks for implying I don't know how to drive... I have not been launching this vehicle at all. I occasionally drive it like it should be driven but no abuse.. As I have stated I have owned a number of high performance vehilces and never had a clutch issue.

I have owned the car from new, 6km and am a bdm so travel regional at times... So country highway driving... Big dissapointment but will just pop a new one in there and void my warrany by modifying exhaust, change the filter and new rims... Why not

It is very odd, and I feel it certainly is a claimable warranty scenario. After all it may have a fault.

When do you guys have a crusie on next?

Justin

next major cruise is winton track day http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/club-...-race-day.html or we have dan's car care workshop (limited spots not sure how many are left though) http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/club-...08-2012-a.html as for clutch i'd see if it's under warranty if not then check out ACT ZX4-HDSS Clutch Kit Performance Street Disc Spring Centered Mazdaspeed 3 6 MS3 MS6

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

my spec 3 clutch only lasted about 30000ks but i use it alot.....
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by MpsMan View Post
    Hey guys,

Yes is rather unusual and annoying. Jmac thanks for implying I don't know how to drive... I have not been launching this vehicle at all. I occasionally drive it like it should be driven but no abuse.. As I have stated I have owned a number of high performance vehilces and never had a clutch issue.

I have owned the car from new, 6km and am a bdm so travel regional at times... So country highway driving... Big dissapointment but will just pop a new one in there and void my warrany by modifying exhaust, change the filter and new rims... Why not

It is very odd, and I feel it certainly is a claimable warranty scenario. After all it may have a fault.

When do you guys have a crusie on next?

Justin
    !
    Didnt mean anything by it. Lots of Gen2 owners on here that have never owned a turbo charged OR manual vehicle before. I knew it was a stupid question, but a valid one... you never know...

at such low kays, its worth a verbal assault on the local service department or emailing mazda australia..
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I would follow as Jmac said. Bring it to your local dealer and at the same time communicate with mazda Australia. There's nothing more to lose than them rejecting a warranty claim on your part. All the best and I do hope you manage to get something out of this.