User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 mps 1-2 shift terrible!!

1. Default

2nd to 1st for under 18kmh.. for when there isnt enough torque take off in 2nd as you roll towards lights and they turn green but youre not stationary

tonight was pretty cold and im happy to report with VMX 80, shifts felt great! no notchyness, no difficulty finding gears

I must be really lucky 'cause my box is smooth on slow and fast shifts, have absolutely no issue with it!

3. Default

Hi Mitch / MYMPS11,
    It seems we both got our MPS's at a similar time. Mine slightly younger by 2 weeks.

I had the same issue, got Mazda to do a transmission oil change. Problem fixed. Also I think problem goes away with some k's. Mine has 7k km's and it is shifting better.

Cheers Zapf

Hey mate, yeah mine seems have improved also I've got around 8000ks now, haven't looked at the oil as yet but it may be a good idea

Default 2012 mps 1-2 shift terrible!!

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    Hey mate, yeah mine seems have improved also I've got around 8000ks now, haven't looked at the oil as yet but it may be a good idea
    Hehehe. It took me 2 solid months to get used to driving a GenII. It gets better at about 30-40k and when you change The rear engine mount

An Intake, DP and Tune will smooth out the rev and make it even better

Lastly the Sure ShortShift, Anchors, Counterweight and heavy gear knob has made mine a smooth, enjoyable daily and a wicked hypershifter when I want it to gooooooo!

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    Hey guys just recently brought the mps brand new, ive only put 1400kms on it so far. I absolutely love the car except one very important thing drivability of the gearbox when just driving it normally just grandpa style lol. The shift from 1 to second is unbelievable crap and 9 times out of 10 if im not at a dead stop it will clash going back to first, very annoying. But yeh hot or cold isnt an influence, 1 to second clashes and makes the car seem like an effort to drive in traffic. Are other gen2's like this or have I got a dud gearbox?

Cheers mitch
    That sux mate I have 1200kms on mine now and it shifts just fine maybe just ask Mazda to check and see what they think?

7. Default

have you tried pressing the clutch a little earlier and giving it a light jab on the gas pedal? probably something to do with the synchros.

i think its just characteristic of the gearbox. as for traffic, id probably suggest keeping it in gear as much as practical.

2 things about this gearbox...
    it's designed to withstand a heap of torque (guys in the states only start breaking them around the 550-600ftlb, or 750NM+ mark)
    and mazda in their infinite wisdom stupidity decided to put triple syncros on the first 2 gears, meaning it's hard to shift them quickly

9. Default

and mazda in their infinite wisdom stupidity decided to put triple syncros on the first 2 gears, meaning it's hard to shift them quickly [/QUOTE]

Thats interesting never knew that

10. Default

sure does! whatever you do, dont put a GL5 oil in it even if the viscosity is suitable.. unless you want to be stuck at the lights trying to engage 1st

I would rather have triple syncros on 1st/2nd then have gearbox issues like WRX 5-speeds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12