User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 mps 1-2 shift terrible!!

Default 2012 mps 1-2 shift terrible!!

Hey guys just recently brought the mps brand new, ive only put 1400kms on it so far. I absolutely love the car except one very important thing drivability of the gearbox when just driving it normally just grandpa style lol. The shift from 1 to second is unbelievable crap and 9 times out of 10 if im not at a dead stop it will clash going back to first, very annoying. But yeh hot or cold isnt an influence, 1 to second clashes and makes the car seem like an effort to drive in traffic. Are other gen2's like this or have I got a dud gearbox?

Cheers mitch

Got mine 3 weeks ago, find no problem shifting 1 to 2 gear. I guess in my opinion set up your seat bit forward so you can press the clutch deeper for smoother shifting. And thus it happens to me sometimes that my hand shift quicker than my foot pressing the clutch causing hard shifting. Then I tried to discipline my self to press the clutch first before shifting. Hope it helps based on my experience.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Give it time they settle . Tell your mazda dealer they can adjust it for you im sure being brand new they will do there best to keep u happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmps View Post
    Got mine 3 weeks ago, find no problem shifting 1 to 2 gear. I guess in my opinion set up your seat bit forward so you can press the clutch deeper for smoother shifting. And thus it happens to me sometimes that my hand shift quicker than my foot pressing the clutch causing hard shifting. Then I tried to discipline my self to press the clutch first before shifting. Hope it helps based on my experience.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I always push the clutch the full travel before shifting, ive driven manuals all my life and my clutchs have always lasted way longer then average. This is infact the worse manual gearbox ive ever driven when just plodding around.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Give it time they settle . Tell your mazda dealer they can adjust it for you im sure being brand new they will do there best to keep u happy.
    Mmm I might give that a try, are u talking about the shifter cables? I might try gearbox oil first. I domt trust a dealer to do anything so ill do it myself that way I know its done properly

Thanks for your suggestions guys

FYI, mines shifts terribly 1-2 as well. Tried a few different tranny fluids already.

I find for some odd reason, when i turn off the DSC the car behaves alot better and shifts feel better too.

Have you tryed castrol vmx-80 in it? Thats what im thinking of trying. Does seem odd with the stability control off, might have to try that myself

shifter bushings and rem help alot as well

Tried Redline Mt90 stuff, and VMX 80.

Both with minor improvements.

Don't neeed shifter bushings, i have a full replacement from TWM.

Also got a ssure shortcut sitting around since i didn't like the feel. And Changed to sure counter weight.

Got it the best i can get it, but still not the smoothest...... my bro's 10 yr old Euro is still smoother and easier getting into gear.

but all in all, its running fine

We have triple syncros on first 2 gears, and a gearbox designed to handle 380NM, it's never going to be a smooth 1-2 shift

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think gear shifting with REM is worse.. But helps get the power to the ground..

I think gear shifting with REM is worse.. But helps get the power to the ground..
    Really? I noticed a massive improvement. Both in 1-2 and 2-3

It's not in upside down is it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Well guys just thought i would report back with an update, the gearbox has loosened up quiet abit now and the gear shift is almost perfect. I just love this car now, zoom zoom haha

Mitch

14. Default

after 22000km i still concede that this is the clunkiest most frustrating gearbox i've driven.
    I've tried moving seat back/forward to get closer/farther from the shifter. I will raise the suggestion of adjusting the shift cables next time she's in for service.

It actually shifts better when i shift quickly. it's the gentle shifts that are the worst

Might swing by MPS garage today and pick up a REM but on a diesel it's going to be interesting. Might have to make some chiropractor friends

Mine after nearly 10,000klms is still clunky.
    Exactly as you have described, from 1st to 2nd at low speeds and at mid range speeds. No matter what I try, or as gentle as I be, it's still not smooth.

Thinking some good fluid might be what is needed.

Found some Castrol SynTrax 75W-90 Full Synthetic at SuperCheap on the weekend.
    Anyone know about this fluid?

Default Re: 2012 mps 1-2 shift terrible!!

MSF swears by a gearbox oil, will have a look for it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

17. Default

had a chat to Aaron from MPS garage yesterday - 60D rear mounts are back ordered.
    after many successful results here with Castrol VMX 80, i bought a bottle and changed it out.
    The result isnt exactly night and day but it does make for a 60-70% improvement in shift smoothness. For $44 its not a bad punt. There is still a slight crunch when i land 2nd sometime but overall its quite a buttery feel.

18. Default

MSF (and a couple of other Mazda forums) swears by Redline MT90 or Motorcraft XT-M5-QS.
    However theres been several reports of severe premature wear on the gearboxes using the Motorcraft oil... aside from it being expensive and made of unobtainium here in Australia.

as for Syntrax/Syntrans - one is more for transaxles, the other isnt (cant remember which one). keep in mind the API GL ratings too. i had major trouble engaging 1st when i used a Nulon full synthetic 75w90 GL5 oil in my old (Gen 1 style) gearbox even when it was hot.

The factory oil was quite dark when i drained it too.

Let me know if you want the remainder of the VMX80 theres about a litre in there

Default Re: 2012 mps 1-2 shift terrible!!

Um.
    You shouldn't be going 2nd to 1st unless you are stopped...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
    MSF (and a couple of other Mazda forums) swears by .... Motorcraft XT-M5-QS.
    that's the stuff
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast