User Tag List

Thread: Slip-Sliding (my clutch) away...

Default Slip-Sliding (my clutch) away...

Well, my Exedy Sport Tuff Heavy Duty clutch was pulled out today ater 13 months and 19,000 K's.

WELL worn, but not worn out.

The Mechanic who put it in (who has MANY years experience) says "With that much meat left on it you should be able to light up all four without any slip. Classic case of pressure plate losing pressure"... Seems that once it starts slipping it will just shred the clutch disc...

The entire unit is currently in transit to Exedy to see if they will cover it under warranty.

2 different people who have spoken to Exedy tell me that the clutch is still available, and the guy that @slixx was conversing with has not responded to my email query on the issue.

See what they have to say in a day or three I guess.

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    Well, my Exedy Sport Tuff Heavy Duty clutch was pulled out today ater 13 months and 19,000 K's.

WELL worn, but not worn out.

The Mechanic who put it in (who has MANY years experience) says "With that much meat left on it you should be able to light up all four without any slip. Classic case of pressure plate losing pressure"... Seems that once it starts slipping it will just shred the clutch disc...

The entire unit is currently in transit to Exedy to see if they will cover it under warranty.

2 different people who have spoken to Exedy tell me that the clutch is still available, and the guy that @slixx was conversing with has not responded to my email query on the issue.

See what they have to say in a day or three I guess.

Chris.
    Sad to hear about Exedy there Chris
    No excuse for not responding. See how you go in a couple of days and I'll start hounding too

Reputable brands should have reputable customer service and stand by there products, standards, successes and failures

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Sad to hear about Exedy there Chris
    No excuse for not responding. See how you go in a couple of days and I'll start hounding too

Reputable brands should have reputable customer service and stand by there products, standards, successes and failures

Peter "SLIXX"
    Funny thing is NO-ONE can tell me what they are like on warranty... because no-one I can find has ever had to claim warranty from Exedy...

2 mechanics who use Exedy exclusively, 1 for over 25 years, have never had an issue, and a dealer who has sold them for 20 years has never had an issue with them...

Hopefully that reputation is worth more to them than a clutch kit...

Cheers,

Chris.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,

Funny thing is NO-ONE can tell me what they are like on warranty... because no-one I can find has ever had to claim warranty from Exedy...

2 mechanics who use Exedy exclusively, 1 for over 25 years, have never had an issue, and a dealer who has sold them for 20 years has never had an issue with them...

Hopefully that reputation is worth more to them than a clutch kit...

Cheers,

Chris.
    Me too mate
    I had 1x Exedy HD Clutch in my 93 Mazda Astina SP and 2x in my 99 N15SII Pulsar SSS

Although both not super cars, all 3 did over 100,000kms without a hitch

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Me too mate
    I had 1x Exedy HD Clutch in my 93 Mazda Astina SP and 2x in my 99 N15SII Pulsar SSS

Although both not super cars, all 3 did over 100,000kms without a hitch

Peter "SLIXX"
    Yeah, Exedy in my V8 HQ Tonner, and then in my MX-6 Turbo... never had an issue, hence was happy to put one in the MPS, and to recommend them to others...

Chris.

UPDATE!

Been Slack and not updated this thread...

Exedy have honoured my warranty, even though I am 1 month out...

They have sent me a replacement clutch!

However...

Even though every query sent to Exedy by anyone found that the HD clutch was still available... when they went to replace it they had to fess up that it HAD in fact been withdrawn from sale... because of complaints that it was "too heavy"...

So they have replaced it with a (significantly more expensive) OEM spec dual mass flywheel and clutch kit... at no extra charge. Unsure if this is an upside or not...

Part no of new kit is MZK-8170DMF... goes in Monday.

Interestingly Exedy's website no longer shows any others available...

Meanwhiile, I have cracked open my transfer case to stop the leak... See the "What did you do to your mazda today" thread, or my upcoming how-to on how to open it up and stick it back together... Assuming I manage to get mine back together...

Cheers,

Chris.
    Last edited by Victa; 10-08-2012 at 09:23 PM.

That is a $2000 kit with a whole new flywheel. I think you have come out on top.

Got the car back today...

Wow, what a difference.

Pedal weight is... non existant... Had to ask Chris if he had actually put a clutch in there...

Feels more like the clutch in the Missus' Lancer now.

But it seems to hook up just fine. The low RPM vibes that appeared with the installation of the HD clutch and SMF are gone...

Haven't driven it far as yet though, so we will see how it goes.

Chris.

Got the car back today...

Wow, what a difference.

Pedal weight is... non existant... Had to ask Chris if he had actually put a clutch in there...

Feels more like the clutch in the Missus' Lancer now.

But it seems to hook up just fine. The low RPM vibes that appeared with the installation of the HD clutch and SMF are gone...

Haven't driven it far as yet though, so we will see how it goes.

Chris.

Hows, the clutch kit going so far? I'm about to install one into my 6mps but on the contrary, I'm also quite keen on fitting in a heavy duty clutch just for the extra bite. Let me know asap

cheers