User Tag List

Thread: Taking off badges

Default Taking off badges

Hi need some help on how to take off my Mazda badge front and rear? Sorry newbie here, thanks in advance..
    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Front I think is built into the grill, you would have to get a badgeless front grill. Rear you can heat and pry off or use fishing line/tooth floss to cut the tape behind it. The rear Mazda badge will leave 2 holes as its clipped in as well so keep that in mind. The other badges should just be held on by tape. I just heated mine with a hair dryer and pulled them off slowly, then cleaned the residue off with eucalyptus oil. I had a haze left after I took mine off, just used polishing compound and it came straight out, can't even tell.
    Last edited by dazza; 30-07-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Thanks for the advice I'll try that.

Taking them off is easy it's sticking them back on thats the pain.

I tried a product call J-Tape Logo Tape and it's ok, but doesn't stick very well. Best stuff to use is the Grey Bond tape. Used by the OEM Manufacturers.
    http://www.tapesonline.com.au/double...bond-grey.html

Just be warned, of you want to take the badge off once it's cured, use the hair dryer/heat gun and fishing line, otherwise you'll rip your paint off

It will leave a lot of residue, like the OEM stuff, but at least you know it's stuck on right

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Thanks slixx, thinking to paint them as well but haven't decided which color best for white

Quote Originally Posted by rcmps View Post
    Thanks slixx, thinking to paint them as well but haven't decided which color best for white

Black!
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

I went black and think that would be cool on white coz of the contrasts

I'll try take some better pics but I did put some red in to break it up

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

WOW thats nice slixx , I like the combination of colors I strongly agree with the red and black. I was thinking to paint it black as well but trying to find out how I'm gonna start too scared to scratch, too new. Just wanna know where to start prying it especially the Mazda badges? Any point or strategies or pics DIY? Just to built up my confidence

Last edited by rcmps; 31-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.

WOW thats nice slixx , I like the combination of colors I strongly agree with the red and black. I was thinking to paint it black as well but trying to find out how I'm gonna start too scared to scratch, too new. Just wanna know where to start prying it especially the Mazda badges? Any point or strategies or pics DIY? Just to built up my confidence

I was lucky as I had a panel beater do it for me as he was fixing a few things for me, but I fund these vids which helped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF98g...e_gdata_player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5saNP...e_gdata_player

Panel Beater told me

Using a heat gun or hair dryer heat up the badge, but don't hold it too close. Using some fishing wire you slide it between the bodywork and badge and you should cut through the glue as its it softened by the heat gun. Use the gun in stages to be safe. Heat and try and heat and try

-The Front Flying M Badge is clips no glue. You have to get behind the front grille to get it off
    -The front MPS badge has guide pins and glue but no clips.
    -The back flying M also has guide pins and glue
    -The 3 is only put on with glue
    -The MPS Badge is 2 pieces and is only glue
    -The Mazda badge as clips and must be acessed from the inside of the tailgate

You will have a lot of residue from the glue left and I found Wax & Grease remover with a lot of elbow grease generally is the key to taking it off. Use the heat gun to soften it and it will make the job 100 times easier

Also, for the badges with no guide pins, before you take off the excess glue. Using some 3M Blue Painters tape, line up where the badge was otherwise you'll be guessing when you have to put them back on again

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Very useful guide thanks slixx, can't wait to do it, +REP for a good well explained DIY

for a white car i think black badges will be the best or if you can de-badge the car make it more of a sleeper

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I was lucky as I had a panel beater do it for me as he was fixing a few things for me, but I fund these vids which helped

DIY: Vehicle Badging Removal/Replacement - YouTube
    How To De-badge a Vehicle - YouTube

Panel Beater told me

Using a heat gun or hair dryer heat up the badge, but don't hold it too close. Using some fishing wire you slide it between the bodywork and badge and you should cut through the glue as its it softened by the heat gun. Use the gun in stages to be safe. Heat and try and heat and try

-The Front Flying M Badge is clips no glue. You have to get behind the front grille to get it off
    -The front MPS badge has guide pins and glue but no clips.
    -The back flying M also has guide pins and glue
    -The 3 is only put on with glue
    -The MPS Badge is 2 pieces and is only glue
    -The Mazda badge as clips and must be acessed from the inside of the tailgate

You will have a lot of residue from the glue left and I found Wax & Grease remover with a lot of elbow grease generally is the key to taking it off. Use the heat gun to soften it and it will make the job 100 times easier

Also, for the badges with no guide pins, before you take off the excess glue. Using some 3M Blue Painters tape, line up where the badge was otherwise you'll be guessing when you have to put them back on again

Peter "SLIXX"

The only thing I would add to this is a couple of cautions with regard to removing the residue

- When removing the residue with a cloth, use a good quality, short pile closed loop SOFT microfiber (MF) cloth (eg: Optimum Edgeless Microfibre Cloth 40x40cm). Not all MF cloths are created equal and even some of the cheaper ones from the likes of Super Cheap etc will mar your paint (eg: SCA Microfibre Cloth - 25 Pack, Trade Size - Supercheap Auto Australia)

- When using a heat gun to remove the badges or to take off the large amounts of adhesive residue as per the first video, let the panel completely cool before using a cloth to remove the rest of the residue. A hot panel will mar much more easily than a cool one. If you want to hurry up the cooling, a quick spritz of water from a garden sprayer can cool it faster

- It should go without saying, but avoid hard or vigorous rubbing of the panel to remove the residue, even with a good quality MF cloth. If the residue is not coming off with light cloth use, consider heating the area again and using your finger as per the video.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks for all the advice guys! Gonna be the perfect DIY after all this hints;b

You cant really go wrong if you follow caff and slix.
    I probably didnt take quite as much care as what they recommend but nevertheless it all came off fine.
    Do whatever you feel comfortable with I suppose, OCD helps lol

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    You cant really go wrong if you follow caff and slix.
    I probably didnt take quite as much care as what they recommend but nevertheless it all came off fine.
    Do whatever you feel comfortable with I suppose, OCD helps lol
    OCD and a yearly paint correction!

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

hey guys, just a quick question regarding this thread.
    I have removed the back m badge with the methods above and now left with fixing those holes from behind the badge.
    Any ideas