User Tag List

Thread: Rear suspension squeek? Yes i have OCD....

Default Rear suspension squeek? Yes i have OCD....

Hey guys,
    I loathe strange suspension noises – makes my OCD go wild. I also know how hard they are to eliminate, but I’m going to throw this up anyway.
    I put Bilstien B8’s and Eibach lowering springs in two weekends ago – at first all fine, and I’m really happy with them for the most part.

But over the last week, I’ve noticed a squeaking sound from the rear right when I go over speed humps. It’s kind of like a rubber squelching noise, like when the sound makes when a boat rubs up against the tires on a wharf. It’s not a clunk or a thud. Seems to only be speed humps, normal driving doesn’t upset it.

I can recreate the sound by jamming the handbrake on when stopped, and then rocking the car with the clutch forcing the rear suspension to compress. Can’t hear it if I stick my head out the door, only inside the car.

It’s really not bad, I can only hear it when I turn the music off, but any ideas? I’m doing my rear sway bar soon so I’ll be underneath there again soon. Thoughts are:
    • End links worn due to changed angles (but should make noise all the time right?)
    • Rear sway bar bushes (soon to be replaced with new RSB)
    • Rubber hat on spring unseated or doing something weird
    • Faulty shock. Really hope its not this one…..

Any ideas or have any people come up against this?

Cheers

Mat

Matt

I have Koni FSD with Ebach pro springs. It took mine about 4-5weeks to settle in and the squeaks to stop

Give it a bit of time it should go away

Just when i thought everything was fine, then the squeaks came from my fuel tank which I'm having replaced by Mazda

Peter "SLIXX"

Hey Pete,

that's reassuring - strange that it was fine to start with though.....

I'll just tighten the fck out of everything under there when i do the RSB.

Just one of those things with modding cars......upgrade one thing, reveal a problem with something else......argh!

I've got the same problem, it's the RSW endlinks. Even though I have new endlinks (Moog), mine started doing the other day. After checking the endlinks, I found my right side one was seized. With the Moog endlinks, you have grease nipples, so after greasing it, the noise has stopped. Try moving your RSW endlinks and see if the squeeking stops
    Cheers

RSW = rear sway....bar?

So you reckon new end links are a solid bet? I wouldn't be surprised as the rear being lower would have significantly changed their position.....

Similar thing on mine. Comes and goes according to weather.
    Cold and/or wet it squeaks, warm weather its fine

Did you tighten the bolts up when suspension was fully raised? Its good practice to drop teh weight onto the wheels than tighten the bolts up.

I would loosen your bolts off so they are finger tight than drive it a few hundred metres and retighten them up. This sound could be the top mount on the rear shock since they are rubber if not tight/set properly this could make that noise.

Yeh i did tighten it all up with a jack under the rear arm to simulate load.

(your recommendation to drop the car on it's wheels would actually make tightening those two bolts at the top of the strut mount physically impossible with a wheel in the way!)

i'll try disconnecting the end links and see what that shows.

Lift car with Jack ,put wooden packers or blocks under both wheels/tyres and drop so that load is equal ,this should give you enough room under rear to tighten/torque large bolt through the shock eye.
    Unequal load ing and torque will allow some movement.
    Do the above proceedure when installing new RSB,

Cheers @Oldhead - might be time to invest in some ramps.

I've been meaning to get some but i've never had a car that they fit under anyway......

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Cheers @Oldhead - might be time to invest in some ramps.

I've been meaning to get some but i've never had a car that they fit under anyway......
    thats the shit.. I removed wheels put it on stands done the work, than used ramps for tightening up
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........