User Tag List

Thread: Engine revs up when coming to a stop

1. Default Engine revs up when coming to a stop

Just notice recently when I come to a stop at a traffic light that the engine on my 3MPS gen1 revs up slightly. The sequence goes like this:

1. Engine rpm drops to about 1k with foot on brake
    2. Depress clutch in while car comes to a complete stop
    3. Engine rev rises to 1.5k -2k rpm instead of dropping to idle speed of 800 rpm
    4. Engine rev drops to idle speed

This happens when the engine has already warmed up and with the steering straight and not turning.

I initially thought this might be to do with engine assist with power steering and braking but brake fluid and power steering levels are all OK.

Anyone experiencing this ? Could it be from the MAF/O2 sensor? Boost leak somewhere?

I hope this is not the sign of things to come with a turbo car getting past its 100k km age

Car is stock except for 3 third party engine mounts.

never heard of it but it sounds like a sensor or an intermittent fault somewhere is not going to be fun finding the prob but it will likely be something small, any cell codes pop up??? if you have a obd2 reader of some sort

Had you just started it/was your engine cold at the time? If it's still going through its startup cycle then it will do what you are describing here.
    Last edited by Reedy; 29-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.

the clutch and brake run off the same reservoir fluid, could it be something here? Had issues with the brake booster sucking air/leak between mani and this revs the engine, not on my mps but on other cars.

5. Default

Thanks all for the comments. Looks like it needs to hit the workshp for diagnosis.... as there is no CEL or codes.

Reedy: nope it's already warmed up so it's not going thru the warm-the-oil-up phase.