User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Mazda Targa Tasmania mini-site launched

Blog Entries

Default Official Mazda Targa Tasmania mini-site launched

Official Mazda "Targa" mini-site launched

Mazda launched their official Targa Tasmania mini-site today.

Click here to visit: Mazda in Targa 2009

You'll find daily reports, loads of pictures and videos. Mazda have two Mazda 3 MPS and a RX8-SP competing at this years event.

Targa Tasmania is considered one of the world’s most challenging tarmac rallies. Mazda Motorsport has used the event as a proving ground for its line up of high-performance production cars since 1993.

The event is held over five days plus a Prologue, travelling 2000kms around Tasmania. The rally starts in Launceston and finishes five days later in Hobart. Prologue sets the event’s pace, seeding the fastest cars at the rear of the field for day one of racing. The competitive course comprises 450kms over 40 closed-road competition stages.

Cars are timed on each Targa stage and each stage has a target base time. Any time accrued over the base time is added to the car’s overall penalty time. The car that clocks the lowest penalty time is the outright winner in each competition.

Targa Tasmania is made up of three competitions; Modern Outright, Classic Outright and Showroom. Mazda Motorsport's twin Mazda3 MPS rally cars will contest the event’s Showroom competition while the Mazda RX-8 SP will contest the Modern Outright. All three cars are vying for outright glory.

---------------------------------

Updated:

This week Mazda Australia will launch its most potent assault on the Targa Tasmania tarmac rally in a decade and rally fans across the globe can track the Mazda Team at www.mazda.com.au/targa

Mazda has readied two Mazda3 MPS showroom rally cars and a turbocharged Mazda RX-8 SP for the 2000km Targa Tasmania road rally that starts in Launceston on Tuesday April 28 and finishes five days later in Hobart on Sunday May 3.

Piloting the twin Mazda3 MPS showroom-spec rally cars is resident Mazda driver Rick Bates and young gun Brendan Reeves. Defending Targa champion Steve Glenney will debut the Mazda RX-8 SP.

The Mazda website will be updated every evening with a daily race report, the latest video footage, team voice grabs and images of both cars from that day’s racing.

Mazda’s media team will be reporting the news as it happens. Log in to the site’s Frontline Updates section to read breaking news on the Mazda team. You can even find us on Facebook.

Targa Tasmania comprises 465km competitive kilometres spread across 40 tight and twisting closed-road stages and is widely recognised as one of the world’s toughest tarmac rallies.
    Source: Mazda Australia
    Last edited by armthehomeless; 27-04-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Will be interesting to see how the RX8 handles the pressure..

The MPS3 is a proven winner...Mazda should have entered a T/D 6.....

3. Default

Sweet
    !

Blog Entries

They should have kept the Maz 2 which they used in I think 2005...that thing was hot!!

Looking forward to seeing the RX-8 in action, should be interesting

Blog Entries

had a look at the videos...both cars sound hot!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    They should have kept the Maz 2 which they used in I think 2005...that thing was hot!!
    Adam it was actually in 2007...

As I don't have speakers on my work PC (we're not allowed) I got to watch and hear the RX8 & MPS on the Mazda site....awesome.

and I wonder who or what will happen to the MPS 3 as the last ones were sold to drivers for the Australian Manufactures Championship
    from Orange NSW

Blog Entries

I knew it was around that time thanks Dave

I wonder if you can buy them after they finish with them! I know the RX7 SP is sitting at Bathurst Museum after doing a few trips around the country.

Jake Camilleri has the 2007 Targa MPS 3

Last edited by Team Green; 23-04-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Blog Entries

so I take that as a "No" to being a Daily Driver then??

well they are registered so I can't see why u could have it as a daily driver.....but why.

and Mazda made a new Extreme 2 as well...

Mazda2 Extreme Secures Top-Ten Finish at National Capital Rally

Category: Motorsport
    28/10/08

Mazda Australia’s Mazda2 Extreme has capped off its Australian rally debut with a top-ten finish at the penultimate round of the NSW Rally Championship in Canberra.

Amid a field of more than 30 starters the Mazda Motorsport Mazda2 Extreme finished the weekend’s National Capital Rally in ninth position outright and second in its class.

Mazda Motorsport chief Allan Horsley was very happy with his team’s performance.

“This is a brilliant result for the Mazda2’s first-ever competitive outing. It proves the Mazda2 is a great base on which to build a competitive rally car.”

The Mazda2 Extreme, one of the least powerful and most economical cars in the field, was piloted by motoring journalist Nathan Ponchard and ably assisted by experienced co-driver Simone Bachmann.

The hot weather conditions and 300km of slippery gravel roads across eight special stages tested the rally-prepared Mazda2 Extreme as it carved through the event.

So challenging was the event that more than half the field failed to finish, either because of off-road incidents or mechanical failure.

The Mazda2 Extreme is the fourth in Mazda Motorsport’s iconic series of extreme makeovers. It is based on the obscenely popular new-generation Mazda2 small car and was unveiled to critical acclaim at the Melbourne Motor Show earlier this year.
    from Orange NSW

Blog Entries

I always thought the Maz 2 would be a good little rally car...look at the pugs, rollas, reno's...all small cars with insane handling!

13. Default

I'm very interested to see if the Xede tuned Targa MPS3 beats the stock one.

While of course, driver error will play a huge part, I'm more interested in seeing if the Xede tuned MPS3 motor lasts the distance, considering the 2.3ltr MZR popping action recently (not Xede tuned cars tho - only fla$hed ones)

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    I knew it was around that time thanks Dave

I wonder if you can buy them after they finish with them! I know the RX7 SP is sitting at Bathurst Museum after doing a few trips around the country.
    I know of a nice Evo IX that might tickle your fancy.. It won the Dutton Rally not long ago

Used MITSUBISHI LANCER Evolution 9 2006 - South Australia - CarPoint Australia

Blog Entries

Nice find Ward!! Pity about the price tag haha but then again it is a full race car so probably worth it.

Except when it breaks and you need a full race workshop to fix the damn thing, and say good bye to getting spare parts from the dealer

I have been looking on My105.com...

I missed out on this..

My105.com :: Mazda Mx5 Clubman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    ... I'm more interested in seeing if the Xede tuned MPS3 motor lasts the distance, considering the 2.3ltr MZR popping action recently (not Xede tuned cars tho - only fla$hed ones) ...
    The last two did...or were you just using that as an opening for a dig at flash tunes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nexus View Post
    the last two did...or were you just using that as an opening for a dig at flash tunes?
    lol!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    The last two did...or were you just using that as an opening for a dig at flash tunes?
    lol, no not digging. I'm genuinely interested to see how the Xede tuned MPS3 goes. The point of interest for me, is that if Maz Aust are using the Xede, then thats got to be a good thing.. yes? I'm absolutely sure Maz have tuned it to the max, possibly pulling +220kW & +470Nm torque, and during Targa, it will be driven the hard way for sure!

Yeah the previous cars both ran the xede.

I would speculate that the cars run a fairly safe level of tune as the Rally is fairly long and the name of the game at targa is reliability.

Blog Entries

I was under the impression that the cars were in showroom class last year...which means no mods??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast