User Tag List

Thread: Gen 1 vs Gen 2 internals

Default Gen 1 vs Gen 2 internals

Hi all

I was doing some searching on the net in regards to Mazda 3 Mps engine internals and even though the engines are the same in both generations apparently the gen 2 has a stronger bottom end. Can anyone shed some light into this? Apparently the rods are stronger in the gen 2's and they can handle more power due to inprovments over the gen 1 mzr.

Pistons are different, same rods

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[TR]
    [TD]This was what i was reading from some pistonhead forum
    Just had a poke about. Turns out on the new mk2
    mps engine: alloy
    block, alloy head, cast iron liners, forged steel crank, forged alloy conrods and forged alloy pistons (therefore able to take quit a lot of power)
    mk1 mps 3s & 6s: had the same except the internals weren't forged. There have been a few tuned over 320bhp that suffered conrod failure
    [/TD]
    [/TR]

both are powder forged, but the head on the gen 2 pistons is different
    it's possible to push the cars to over 400whp for a period of time (18-24 months seems about the average), assuming an appropriate tune and supporting mods are done.

Gen 1 vs Gen 2 piston and rod differences - Mazdaspeed Forums <-- information there

This time bomb idea stems from a pretty big misunderstanding on how equipment failures and occur and how they are analysed (lolanal). Failure mode statistical analysis is what drives the entire maintenance program that I oversee at work, it's a whole branch of engineering that I have had more to do with than most and that I had very little knowledge of until I actually started working in the field.

Average times to failure don't mean that you have x months of trouble free running before it goes bang. It means chances are it WILL go bang within x months. Exactly when is completely random. It could have the same chance of failing tomorrow as it does 12 months from now. Every given day could be statistically the same depending on how the historical failures have been analysed.

Treating it like you have 12 safe months is taking a very very big risk.
    Last edited by Reedy; 27-07-2012 at 10:46 AM.

6. Default

Once you start pushing the timing either with meth or eth and the TQ approaches 400 your days are numbered.