User Tag List

Thread: 20" CX-9 rims fitted to a Gen 1 Mazda 3 MPS

Default 20" CX-9 rims fitted to a Gen 1 Mazda 3 MPS

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some honest help? I have looked but can't seem to find the info I want.

I would like to fit CX-9 10 spoke 20" rims on to my Gen 1 Mazda 3 MPS. It is not lowered (yet) but I do plan on lowering it a little (depends on your advice).

I have seen a few photos around with these wheels fitted to this car but I would like to find out any information prior.

Rubbing? Tyre selection, guards etc etc etc..........in fact anything??

Cheers in advance

what dimension are the wheels?
    what size tires you planning on running?

They fit.

On a lowered car they will scrub in the rear even with rolled guards.

There are no tires available in the correct sizing that meet the load requirements for an MPS 3.

They also weigh approx 3kg per rim more than your standard 18s (11kg) so expect to lose straight line performance, handling, and all ride quality.

Great! Thanks for your reply Smokey! I will only be lowering a "little bit" just to adjust the ride height, so I'm not going crazy "in the weeds" low.....so fingers crossed it should work out............just gotta figure out speedometer issues I guess? Thanks for your reply!.

No dramas, mate.

Tires you need 225/30/20's. But like I said, you need a min load rating of 89 and these tyres just don't have the sidewalls/contact patch to support/distribute the weight. Achilles ATR generally have high load ratings, but it's gonna handle like a roller skate so be warned.

They look awesome - can't deny it - but i've ruined too many cars (both through physical damage, and by ruining the handling and ride) by running big rims.

I must be getting old, huh!

6. Default

They dont rub, i had the cx9 20"s with coilovers and heavy rim tucking no scrubbing at all, the natural camber even with stock suspension and lowered spring plus the wheels width is a perfect fit for the mazda 3.. 225/30/20 profile tyres and yes it IS road legal if you have an mps, i did it on my sp23 and its still road legal if you do the math using the RTA pdf.. Im acutally looking for a new set of cx9 20"s as i sold mine last year... (ps my gaurds are rolled (rear only) and even then i can still put my fingers under the gaurd with em lol)... cx9 20"S are a match made in heaven for the 3
    Last edited by mpsdanix; 31-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.

I used to run CX-9 wheels on my MPS. Although it looks cool, I wouldn't recommend it......

They are heavy, the sidewalls are very small and prone to damage and finding the correct load rating can be difficult. I didn't experience any scrubbing, but i was at stock ride height at the time.

Here's a pic of what it looked like.......

definitely the hottest looking rim for an mps gen 1, that car is now for sale in coomera yeah? i saw it on carsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    definitely the hottest looking rim for an mps gen 1, that car is now for sale in coomera yeah? i saw it on carsales.com
    I hope not, cause it's in my garage at Tanah Merah
    ]

There is a GEN I same colour with CX9 wheels for sale, has been for a little while...

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

I have a brand new set in the shed, trying to decide on a colour to paint them.
    They will not be used as Daily drivers just for the occasional cruise as I do like the look of them on the GEN I, have seen them on the new mazda 6 and they actually look pretty good on them as well...
    All Things 2XS