User Tag List

Thread: New member looking for some info

Default New member looking for some info

Hello All

Obviously a new member hence my post here. I'm in sunny Melbourne, not to far from Chadstone Shopping Centre. I'll be picking up my 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in a few weeks. I've never owned a car that I haven't personalised mechanically in some way and want to have a car that will comfortably do a low 13sec 1/4 mile again without having a loud exhaust or runing 98 octane petrol. After a little help from people who may have modified them before.

What wheel is in the turbo (is it ceramic or steel)?
    How much turbo pressure is safe to run in the factory setup before things start to go bang?
    Are the differentials able to handle wider tyres without over heating?
    Is there a factory looking option for a IPOD/MP3 player available?
    What's sort of power are people making at the wheel?
    What workshops have had expertise in tuning these models (I know the Horse Power Factory has is there any others).

Cheers
    Sem

no idea what the turbo wheel is
    anything is "safe" but up to ~18psi is deemed reliable, usually with a taper down towards redline
    yes
    no idea
    depends on mods/turbo 140-190kw on stock turbo
    depends how far you want to drive as to which options are available to you

Wheel may be aluminium alloy, not 100% sure.
    You can get an aftermarket ipod adapter that will connect to the rear of the unit and plug into the ipod. Don't believe there is a 'factory' option as such.
    As above, expect up to 190kw atw on a 6, you would be pushing it making more than 200kw on stock turbo. Power is slightly better in the 3 with response to mods/tune.
    In regards to tuning, there are a couple places in Melb, most notable would be HPF.
    If going the AP route I would advise an etune otherwise look into ecutek or something like that.
    Last edited by dazza; 23-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Thanks guys,

190RWKW sounds a lot on a stock turbo, would that still be running the stock injectors and stock manifold?

Not to nitpick, its actually 190AWKW (at all 4 wheels). And yes that would be stock injectors and manifold.

Suggest you have a search around this site, plenty of detail to be found.

Hi mate and welcome! Just a note, to run "comfortable" low 13's, you'll be looking at quite a few mods and I would suspect possibly a larger turbo. My clutch wasn't happy on my last visit kept slipping but I could only manage a 14.0 (see mods in my signature) on the stock tune. Adding a tune won't give me a second less in time so I would suggest FMIC, Tune, turbo and meth to get near the 13 second mark.

I think some guys are running 20psi without any hassles, depends on the nature of the tune I guess too.

I have MP3 player from factory. You might need to get a modification done to allow for Ipod connectivity.

The MPS6 runs about 140kW at the wheels from factory. As mentioned above 190-200kW is probably the limit(ish) on the stock turbo and IMO won't achieve low 13's (possibly on a brutal launch but definitely not "comfortably" as you mentioned)

Check out ​Reputable Mechanic/Exhaust/Tune places (ALL STATES) for some tuning options

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Not to nitpick, its actually 190AWKW (at all 4 wheels). And yes that would be stock injectors and manifold.

Suggest you have a search around this site, plenty of detail to be found.
    You are correct, never had a AWD car before. Have to get use to the terminology. Only had RWD cars in the past. Was easier to modify cars 10 years ago. Just buy the Apexi gear, relatively simple to install, and take it for a Dyno tune.

Rogwick:

My wife will either kill me of file for divorce if I overly modify the car. The tune and a panel filter I can hide. Intercooler and exhaust is to much and can potentially cop a canary from TMU if you get them on a bad day, particularly if it's a turbo back. Previous turbo car ran a 12.9 so was hoping to get close but will have to settle for high 13's at best.
    Last edited by GQ Smooth; 23-07-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Corksport (I think) make a tmic that fits in stock shroud

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

if you want to look at a built 6 mps i will be down in keybrough next weekend or alteratively if you are ever on the west side of town pm me and we can catch up or @ Caff's detailing workshop, you wont get canaried with just the exhaust and intercooler as im registering mine with a FMIC and louder exhaust in vic with no prob's, + the cops dont notice these cars unless your doing something stupid or have a vent to atmo bov

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    if you want to look at a built 6 mps i will be down in keybrough next weekend or alteratively if you are ever on the west side of town pm me and we can catch up or @ Caff's detailing workshop, you wont get canaried with just the exhaust and intercooler as im registering mine with a FMIC and louder exhaust in vic with no prob's, + the cops dont notice these cars unless your doing something stupid or have a vent to atmo bov
    Thanks Axspeed6, I'll send a PM after I pick up the car so I can compare whats required (should be in 2 weeks). I work in Altona, so I'm in the West every day (haven't been car jacked or mugged yet!), weekends I devote to the family. Spend to much time at work during the week, need to compensate on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by GQ Smooth View Post
    Rogwick:

My wife will either kill me of file for divorce if I overly modify the car. The tune and a panel filter I can hide. Intercooler and exhaust is to much and can potentially cop a canary from TMU if you get them on a bad day, particularly if it's a turbo back. Previous turbo car ran a 12.9 so was hoping to get close but will have to settle for high 13's at best.
    You'll struggle to get even high 13's comfortably without exhaust (downpipe) an intercooler, a decent intake set-up and a tune. She's heavy. Quick off the mark yes, but her healthy figure doesn't help down the track...

You would have to get a brutal high RPM launch, a cool day night, no heatsoak through the cooler and a bit of a breeze in your favour to get 13.9. As mentioned, I was launching fairly hard I was slipping 1st and 2nd and managed a 14.0 with all the mods I have installed. A tune would help though and you missus wouldn't know the difference!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Arhh, don't tell me this, my Ford BF does a 14.2-14.5 (modded mind you but it's still a NA 6).

You'll find once you tune it, you'll use your mods to their full potential

Yeah, I was thinking of a tune for mine which should see 13's easy. But I've spent way too much on the MPS and motorcycle up to date! The bike does a high 10/low 11 anyway.

Lol, I was messing around with a Lamborghini yesterday while on the bike.

If you can justify the money, you'll find you should save fuel as well (if done right). To give you an idea my old Soarer (god I miss it), had a TRD CT26 single turbo conversion, injectors, turbo back 3" exhaust, panel filter, apexi safc2 & avc-r. It went from 172rwk to 238rwk after the tune, same hardware. It also went from 16L per 100K to 13L per 100k.

But tunes are alot more expensive now, you don't just sit in the car and adjust fuel levels. It took 2 hours at Herrod Motorsport to tune the Ford (for 20RWKW) as apposed to 45min with the Soarer (for 66RWKW).

Go mounts then power stock 6 mps mounts are useless