User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To - Coolant bypass

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Haha man. Can you punctuate that so I can tell if what you're saying is good or not?
    Lol it's a about at 30% drop in temps overall :-P

Default Re: How To - Coolant bypass

Quote Originally Posted by KRNAGE View Post
    thats what I was thinking of doing. what did you use to cap them off?
    Used these, Holden universal blanking cap 10mm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1348184340302.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	12421  

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Used these, Holden universal blanking cap 10mm

why do you even need to blank them?

Thanks @ledfootrob, where did you get them from?
    @rayd I'm guessing one end needs to stop the fluid from coming out....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by KRNAGE View Post
    Thanks @ledfootrob, where did you get them from?
    @rayd I'm guessing one end needs to stop the fluid from coming out....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

the fluid goes in through one and out another... isnt it just a hollow channel that follows around the throttle body?
    i plugged mine off aswell, but i really dont see the need to...

Re: i plugged mine off aswell, but i really dont see the need to...

Tidiness! Nature (and mechanics) abhor an open pipe-end.

Given that the coolant is circulating through the TB at over 100C, this makes a degree of sense (pun noticed). Unless one was living in ultra cool climates, most of us here in Oz would be OK with this mod. If you leave the hose ends long then the mod can be reversed. The purpose of the TB heat is to speed up/maintain correct volatilization and temp of the fuel/air mix upon a cold start and hence reduce undesirable emissions. If I was in a "summer and winter" mode I would put a small brass tap in the coolant line instead (on the "upstream" side, thus requiring only a single cut and two small hose clamps - and you may not even need to dump your coolant, apart from losing a few drops up cutting the line - do not do this while the engine is hot!!. I did something similar to this on my old 192 ci Holden engined Landrover which, in summer and heavy bush work, ran an extra 5 litres of coolant through a hollow front bumper.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 21-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    why do you even need to blank them?
    I didn't blank the Throttle body I used them on the block where the coolant comes from, a hose delete you could say.

you can also just take off one of the hose's and link the other one to where the other hose connected this is what i have done now its easier and you dont have to buy anything free mod

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    you can also just take off one of the hose's and link the other one to where the other hose connected this is what i have done now its easier and you dont have to buy anything free mod
    This is what I decided to do... Winter coming in Scotland but I'm confident all will be fine. The lowest temps I go out in would be -5 or so and I'll allow car to warm up etc
    boost air temps have dropped a great deal and I'm very happy with this free mod.
    Versatune, BNR turbo, 3" catted downpipe, HTP 3" turbo inlet, CPE diff brace/intercooler/intake/enginemount/towplate, Autotech fuel pump, Sure juggernaught, Eibach springs, oil/boost gauges, JBR EGR delete/catch can/Wheel spacers, Corksport boost tubes/rad cap/strut brace/clutch line, NGK iridium IX Plugs, De-cat&custom exhaust, Turbosmart BPV, VG Sharkfin, Snow stage 2 meth with aquamist jet/parts
    301whp 341 lb/ft at the moment

Has this extended cold start warm up time?
    Logic tells me yes but can somebody confirm?
    My neighbours are annoyed enough already with the beastly growls the mps makes during cold starts.

not that i've noticed.

i ended up using an exisiting hose and routing that to where other hose was connected to. also fitted the TIG from JBR at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by yodo View Post
    Has this extended cold start warm up time?
    Logic tells me yes but can somebody confirm?
    My neighbours are annoyed enough already with the beastly growls the mps makes during cold starts.
    no as the fluid just passes straight through the throttle body at the same pressure anyway, and the engine heats up a similar rate each time, the only thing that would really increase you start up time is if you took the thermostat out
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 04-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

14. Default

hello,

for those that have done this, how many times did you have to fill up the reservoir and do a quick run, and fill it back up again? i filled up the reservoir from complete empty when it first drained itself and after filling it up and going for a short drive, it has emptied itself out again (no sign of leakage around the engine bay). I thought at first this was abnormal but after reading the first post...is this suppose to be normal that i need to refill up the reservoir back up more than once?? I didn't do a complete coolant flush..

I've posted my issue in this thread if anyone wants the full details...

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/diagn...t-problem.html

any advice would be much appreciated..

thanks!

Never need to fill up at all. I think it's best for you to take a pic of what you have done for the by pass (at least to check if you have at least done the right bypass.

I pulled the hoses off mine about a year ago, never had any problems.

17. Default

pic of plugging the nipples into the throttle body Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	364 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	15470
    pic of the join of the coolant hoses..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	15469

on second inspection, it appears there is spluttering of coolant around the engine bay...perhaps the join is not airtight enough?....

Clamping the lines before doing it you shouldn't really lose much if any

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    Sounds like the best way to do it
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Sounds like the best way to do it
    Except it's quite labor intensive to do that. I can't even see where the hose ends, let alone joining it at the inner ends. Would imagine requires taking the whole intake to TIP (which also means battery and ecu out) out to reach it.....

So, rather spend the extra $10 to make it a much easier operation IMO.
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast