User Tag List

Thread: Handbrake issues?

Default Handbrake issues?

Hey guys,

I just installed new Rda slotted rotors and remsa pads for rear wheels. I took my sweet time and ensured everything was bolted back on properly, and the brakes seem to be fine. However the handbrake doesn't work as well, I need to pull it up higher to have the bite it use to have, otherwise it will roll on a hill.

When I installed the slotted rotors and pads for my fronts past week all went swell, but I also lost some initial bite the oem brakes had. I know this is normal, so is this the same issue for the handbrake?

Cheers

JBR Short Shift plate, JBR Solid Bushing, 18" Black with Silver Lip Ox Wheel, CS SRI, CS TIP, CS Airbox, 3" Double Walled exhaust TIP,
    RDA front & rear slotted rotors, Remsa pads
    , CS Rear Sway Bar, JBR rear engine mount and transmission mount

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a go. But my handbrake doesn't feel loose. Just feels like the pads aren't giving that grip or bite it use to have. I need to pull it up further now.

did a quick search for you.

someone has suggested standing on the brakes as hard as you can, pull handbrake up as hard as you can, release brakes then release handbrake. the brakes are supposed to be self adjusting and this is supposed to aid that process.

did you bleed them ??????? if not do it and that will fix the prob
    its doesnt matter if they are self adjusting you still have to bleed them

Quote Originally Posted by imiz89 View Post
    Hey guys,

I just installed new Rda slotted rotors and remsa pads for rear wheels. I took my sweet time and ensured everything was bolted back on properly, and the brakes seem to be fine. However the handbrake doesn't work as well, I need to pull it up higher to have the bite it use to have, otherwise it will roll on a hill.

When I installed the slotted rotors and pads for my fronts past week all went swell, but I also lost some initial bite the oem brakes had. I know this is normal, so is this the same issue for the handbrake?

Cheers
    Dont stress about this! All my cars when i put new pads and rotors in handbrake will be shit for a bit, it does get better
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

you have to brake cleaner your disc's
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 09-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.

i would adjust the handbrake at the caliper, which you should always do when changing pads.

i would also bleed the brake system, which you should always do when changing pads.

Thanks guys,
    Matt- I gave that a go and I think it kinda helped..
    I'll also bleed the lines, but how do you adjust the ebrake from the caliper?

10. Default

i have Remsa pads in the rear too and i have the same problem. Handbrake all the way up til it feels like you're going to snap the cable, parked on a hill and as each passenger gets in you hear the brake creak and your passengers hold their breath haha

I'm on stock rear rotors though, and they've been bedded in too. New rotors take a little longer to bed in, esp with new pads and esp even more since it's the rear and it doesnt do much work.

11. Default

e-brake is cable so bleeding wont help.
    i have remsa pads on mine too and had the same problem. reverse the car at a saffe speed then stomp on the brake. this forces the weight of the car on the rear calipers. imporves bite and e-brake feel.

Default Handbrake issues?

My are great now, just needed time to bed in. But yeah, had the same issue, I had to literally have the handbrake all the way up to stop the car from rolling.. :$