User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat back questions

Default Cat back questions

Hi there

only a noob to the Mps scene after only having my gen 1 for 2 months now but after reading about how many people have blown a few stock but mostly modified engines due to the rods I'm pretty happy just leaving mine relatively stock for safety and to save my bank account. Now I'm thinking of going a cat back exhaust either custom or cnt/hks with a 3 Inch diameter so that my car isn't so boring when driving it like a grandmother. Will this modification alter the turbo to spool up earlier and maybe raise boost? I'm just paranoid knowing that mps's are sensetive to mods and that it's bad having these engines spool up early as the high output of torque at low rpm is already hard for the rods as it is. Pretty much asking people with feedback with cat back only mods and if they noticed any changes of boost with this relatively simple modification to the exhaust.

Many thanks guys

Most of the feedback from people doing a cat-back only exhaust is that its purely a noise mod, there are little, if any performance gains from the cat-back alone, the factory system is a 2.5 inch mandrel bent stainless exhaust, the biggest restriction lies in the factory dump pipe.

If you are after a bit of noise, just replace the rear large chamber style muffler with a smaller straight through type, it will cost you a fraction of a full catback, and will sound much more aggressive.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Most of the feedback from people doing a cat-back only exhaust is that its purely a noise mod, there are little, if any performance gains from the cat-back alone, the factory system is a 2.5 inch mandrel bent stainless exhaust, the biggest restriction lies in the factory dump pipe.

If you are after a bit of noise, just replace the rear large chamber style muffler with a smaller straight through type, it will cost you a fraction of a full catback, and will sound much more aggressive.
    Cheers for the reply I was actually thinking of changing the chamber style muffler too it would probably be the safest bet and won't alter much except sound which is pretty much what I want. I'll search YouTube for any sound clips with this mod to get an idea of how it sounds.

I did this on mine before going for the full TBE, sounded good from both inside and out, and didnt really increase cabin drone too much, depending on your budget, the magnaflow mufflers are great.

Anymore members with feedback with brand name cat back exhausts let me know

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Did u just change the chamber muffler and which brand muffler did u use?

HKS sounds good, but loud

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Gen 1's has a good cat back system standard, If you wanted a bit more sound extra 2-3kw relpace the muffler to a magnaflow. Cat back system is useless without a DP, as Matt said DP is the most restrictive part.

kepp reading through through threads as i may have my corksport cat back for sale if i can get a hold onto chris from best mufflers had to cancel my first appointment, then tried to make another 2months ago and called today and still nothing...sheesh. told me to call tomorrow afternoon and see if he can fit me in...not extremely loud once warmed up...nice rumble at normal driing and a nice growl when you boot it...and no drone in or out of the cabin at cruising speeds

9. Default

Anyone have an idea what a magnaflow muffler would cost? What would be the + and - vs. a resonator delete in terms of price, loudness and quality of sound

I love the sound of a cat back but my financial advisor (read wife) has put a temp halt on spending big bucks on the mistress

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Anyone have an idea what a magnaflow muffler would cost? What would be the + and - vs. a resonator delete in terms of price, loudness and quality of sound

I love the sound of a cat back but my financial advisor (read wife) has put a temp halt on spending big bucks on the mistress
    Mazdaspeed3 exhaust with muffler delete only. - YouTube

07 Mazdaspeed 3 with resonator delete!! - YouTube

Just do this
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

11. Default

Thanks for that,

probably should have worded my original message better... what would be the positives/negatives of magnaflow muffler vs resonator delete (in terms of proce, loudness, quality of sound)

sorry for the partial hijaack of thread

Pipes will always net more power.. Remove a muffler or res you will get a couple of extra ponies but more noise. Magnaflow ur looking at $150 for muffler +fitting, res delete $30-50...

My main concern is going zoom zoom boom so will a cat back put any strain on my engine because I don't want to join club zoom zoom boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevnutz View Post
    My main concern is going zoom zoom boom so will a cat back put any strain on my engine because I don't want to join club zoom zoom boom.
    Nope... cat back is sound only

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Trevnutz View Post
    Zoom Zoom Boom club is nearly 0 now! Company and Tuners and operators are getting smarter, you must remember this is a new platform so it was trail and error for a while. Get a good tuner and parts and keep it under 220kw atw you will have a car that will last for years...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Zoom zoom boom club is not one that you want to join. If you're looking for a better improvement in sound and hp, race pipe will give you a pretty good boost in power even with the stock CBE. There are a few members around here that have just a race pipe, or a race pipe and Sri combo. Those are going to be low dollar cost, and give you a great performance boost. And you won't be a part of ZZB with those mode.

17. Default

So if i stick a race pipe in it, (i mean a 2012 gen2) magnaflow muffler and TIP/SRI i won't need a fuel pump upgrade until i get a tune, reading Mazdaspeed org they all seem to say you need the pump upgrade before adding anything at all.

I had a 3" down pipe and a hi flow cat on my 6 plus other mods and when I got it tuned my fuel pump was fine. I do have fuel pump internals in now but I only got them because there was a group buy a little while ago so saved some money.

Fuel pump is the base for more mods! sooner or later you will need them!

HPFP only needed for stg 2 tunes.
    You will be fine stock with Sri, dp and ic.
    Want a custom tune and you will need hpfp.
    I'd do two of the above mods then hpfp before the third

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast