User Tag List

Thread: L5 2.5 turbo?

1. Default L5 2.5 turbo?

I have an mazda 6 mps which has the L3 2.3L turbo.
    I also know that the L5 2.5 out of the GH mazda 6 has pretty much the same bottom end but with a longer stroke.
    Has anyone experimented with the internals of an L3 and L5 to see if you can build an L5 tubo using the internals of out of it?
    The reason why i ask i because i work at a Mazda dealer and have a few L5 motors laying around the place.

I'm no engine builder mechanic, but, no... just... no...
    a certain company in sydney is trying something similar (2.5L N/A into a mazda 6)... and it's been going on for over a year and still isnt working correctly...

probably have better luck boring out a MZR engine block and using slightly oversized pistons...
    also, unless my understanding of engines is poor, longer stroke = worse for rpm and boost?

longer stock is worse for RPM. If the rod is weak cuz its longer more preasure is placed in the middle of the rod, rod will bend easier.

In my old Datto days My cousin put a 1400cc crank into a 1200cc motor, what this done was the rod was same length and stroke improved BUT still reved hard would rev to 10000rpm with massive cam, head work and twin sidedraft webbers. Ended up putting a hole in the block and melted a piston due to massive compression ratio. It was a awesome engine tho!

Prob a very expensive exersize that will take alot of trial and error to get a result if at all possible.

Cp-e stage 3 short block is bored to 2.4L, that's close

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

The cp-e stage 3 long block is not really bored the way you are thinking, what they do is bore the block itself to fit a bigger sleeve in then they bore and hone the sleeve to the piston size, new dalton sleeves for our cars are $690 for the set and can handle 50 psi of boost

Do it, No one to my knowledge has done it. You can be the first and steal the glory.
    Its a great idea, other modders with different makes have been doing it forever - especially with nissans.

And the other place thats doing a NA build couldn't organize a root in a brothel, so im not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    The cp-e stage 3 long block is not really bored the way you are thinking, what they do is bore the block itself to fit a bigger sleeve in then they bore and hone the sleeve to the piston size,
    Cheers man, but I thought they were actually using larger pistons on S3 as opposed to stock size on S2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    new dalton sleeves for our cars are $690 for the set and can handle 50 psi of boost
    Hmmm, that's a lot of boost

filo6667, good luck if you do the build, it would be interesting to see how it goes.

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Cheers man, but I thought they were actually using larger pistons on S3 as opposed to stock size on S2.

Hmmm, that's a lot of boost

filo6667, good luck if you do the build, it would be interesting to see how it goes.

yeah you thought right, bigger sleeve = bigger piston, you will notice on their website it says "re-sleeved with blah blah blah sleeves" in the description.
    i dont have the biggest amount of faith in cp-e gear, i've blown my cp-e rem and the dp has cracked many times due to the thin tig weld's now its almost completely mig welded up and hasn't crack in a couple of months

Yeah it is a lot of boost you'll blow your head off or crank out before you reach anywhere near that unless you get 8.0:1 comp ratio pistons and a bit of reinforcing but just imagine the sound of the DISI motor at 50 psi of boost at 7 grand it'd be nutz

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by filo6667 View Post
    I have an mazda 6 mps which has the L3 2.3L turbo.
    I also know that the L5 2.5 out of the GH mazda 6 has pretty much the same bottom end but with a longer stroke.
    Has anyone experimented with the internals of an L3 and L5 to see if you can build an L5 tubo using the internals of out of it?
    The reason why i ask i because i work at a Mazda dealer and have a few L5 motors laying around the place.
    not the same bottom end
    2.3lt disi turbo: main bearing size: 52mm, rod bearing: size 52mm, bigger rod bearing size due to increased torque and power from turbo
    2.5lt: main bearing size: 52mm, rod bearing: size 50mm, N/A engine smaller rod bearing size due to no boost but = lighter crank = easier revs

if you want to know about mods for you 6 just pm me with any question internal's you name it

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

im posting a "how to" soon on the possible upgrade's available that i have found + the route that im taking with my monster
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 19-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs