User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For something a little different | Tunehouse Project / Development car: THR 86

1. Default For something a little different | Tunehouse Project / Development car: THR 86

Hi guys,

Not quite a Mazda but interesting none the less - for those of you with an interest in the new BRZ / 86 platform. We can announce Tunehouse has officially picked up it's brand spanking new Toyota 86. There's allot of work to be done but these cars really are a load of fun already and we're looking forward to increasing the grin factor... Immediately!

See below a few pics from the dealership - Jim's already planning a good 'Sunday Drive' to get a feeling for it!

With plenty of Catalogues handy from our friends at HKS, Tein, DBA, EcuTek (just to name a few) and some parts already sitting idle up stairs, we're definitely looking forward to some alte nights ahead of us!

We'll come back with some more info once it's run in and been on the dyno for some 'testing'!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

11 Chalder Street, Marrickville NSW

All Upgrades 100% Custom Dyno Tuned! Performance - Service - Innovation

HKS | COSWORTH| ECUTEK | TEIN | WHITELINE | DBA | KW | VIPEC

I was wondering when you guys would do this ...

Nice, a lot of interest on this forum. Lots of positive and negative opinions, most of which I reckon you'll deal with, including speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Nice, a lot of interest on this forum. Lots of positive and negative opinions, most of which I reckon you'll deal with, including speed.
    I think torque in everyday driverability/fun is the big one for me
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

so.... can i borrow it for an hour?

Nice. Will be interested to see where your development goes.

These are a very good platform as they are. Will be very interested to see how it handles a ramp up in power and what else, if anything, needs to be tweaked along the way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Tunehouse View Post
    With plenty of Catalogues handy from our friends at HKS, Tein, DBA, EcuTek (just to name a few) and some parts already sitting idle up stairs, we're definitely looking forward to some alte nights ahead of us!

We'll come back with some more info once it's run in and been on the dyno for some 'testing'!
    You guys seriously have the best job... Any positions going?
    been meaning to get out of banking since the week after I started (when I was 19)... lol

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

We all must be paying Jim too much and can i have Jims general motors
    See you guys Thursday and I will give you some more loose change!

Thursday hey @Oldhead, 2 days before me!
    Ill check it out Monday Chris. See you then!

Hey Cton, what do u think ??? Maybe we should sabotage this inbred 86.
    Dont want Jim spending all his time on it , he may become prejudiced towards the MPS.
    Any way the 86 is too small for Jim ,he may have to drive it from the back seat.Hah Ha Ha .

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

By the way Chris what is an 86, i know what a 69 and a 181 and a 321 is ??? just not sure what i would get with an 86
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Do we get this when our car is getting a service? Please.

12. Default

- I'm not too sure it will be palmed off as a courtesy car for some time unfortunately, but it will be around quite a bit for those interest in having a squiz at it!

Jim's actually become quite fond of it! He still has his HSV R8 (all 800 or so HP of it) however he is a big fan of the fun factor in the 86 and how chuckable it is!

The platform is great, we've all had a quick drive to get our initial impressions and the platform itself is certainly strong! Everyone is going to want more power as they're looking at if from the point of turbo car ownership, however that would mean ignoring how well the car is out of the box dynamically.

The tyres and shocks are the first thing (other that outright performance) that let the car down when you're having a little fun so we'll be working on this shortly!

Anyways - Will come back when we have more data on the car itself! don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, we'll be mmore than happy to look into it (if we don't alreayd know )and get back to you.

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse
    e: chris@tunehouse.com.au
    p: (02) 9557 4000
    w: www.tunehouse.com.au
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Quote Originally Posted by newish View Post
    Do we get this when our car is getting a service? Please.
    And whats wrong with the Silver bullet or the Blue lightning or the Red rocket?!!!

Time to turn this beast up! Moaaarrrr poooweeerrr haha

15. Default

Hey guys,

Bit of a Video our friendly Digital guys put together for us when we picked it up: Tunehouse Project 86 - Part 01 - YouTube

We've had it a week or so now and working hard to put the run-in KM's on it so that the fun can begin... What are the initial thoughts?

First impressions are simple and not unexpected – Underpowered but a great chassis. There is something that the suspension lacks right on the edge though... The feedback is there however it feels like the dampening of the factory shocks doesn’t support the car being punted hard continuously. It gets to a point, gives up and seems to skip to the next road irregularity as if to say I’m over it now. Brakes seem to put up with the 147KW it’s capable of but like the rest of the car you get a feeling that it probably wouldn’t reign in much more if it needed to. The car is as was the rumour, a tuners car. A platform designed to be awesome and inspiring to drive, but most definitely designed to be upgraded!

First improvement Tunehouse have in mind? “Suspension and tyres – Lets’ get a firm hold of what the chassis is capable of and then we’ll chase the grunt to balance it out...” Jim Ghelis, Tunehouse Business Owner and Tuner...

There's also a build diary we'll be updating regularly being put together too for those who are intersted : Tunehouse 86 and BRZ Development – BRZ Suspension

As always guys, don't hesitate to let is know if there is ANYTHING at all we can help you with!

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Tunehouse View Post
    Hey guys,

Bit of a Video our friendly Digital guys put together for us when we picked it up: Tunehouse Project 86 - Part 01 - YouTube

We've had it a week or so now and working hard to put the run-in KM's on it so that the fun can begin... What are the initial thoughts?

First impressions are simple and not unexpected – Underpowered but a great chassis. There is something that the suspension lacks right on the edge though... The feedback is there however it feels like the dampening of the factory shocks doesn’t support the car being punted hard continuously. It gets to a point, gives up and seems to skip to the next road irregularity as if to say I’m over it now. Brakes seem to put up with the 147KW it’s capable of but like the rest of the car you get a feeling that it probably wouldn’t reign in much more if it needed to. The car is as was the rumour, a tuners car. A platform designed to be awesome and inspiring to drive, but most definitely designed to be upgraded!

First improvement Tunehouse have in mind? “Suspension and tyres – Lets’ get a firm hold of what the chassis is capable of and then we’ll chase the grunt to balance it out...” Jim Ghelis, Tunehouse Business Owner and Tuner...

There's also a build diary we'll be updating regularly being put together too for those who are intersted : Tunehouse 86 and BRZ Development – BRZ Suspension

As always guys, don't hesitate to let is know if there is ANYTHING at all we can help you with!

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse
    Awesome guys
    Make me want to make another specific trip up from Melbourne to visit you guys and get my tune done

All the best

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

17. Default

Australia’s Fastest 86 / BRZ?

Who can say really – What we can say is we picked up over 2 seconds per lap at Wakefield Park over the factory offering on the very first track day. We met with our friends from Toyo Performance Tyres and John Boston of Trackschool to get some data on the THR 86 (Tunehouse’s own 86 / BRZ) Project car.

What did we go to Achieve?
    Our basic feedback of the car was that the first thing that let the car down was the factory tyres. Not overly surprising given we purchased the GT spec car including 16 rims and tyres. We had a set of Toyo Proxes R888’s on 17 inch rims (same tire and rim size as the GTS model) and wanted to see if our suspicious were accurate that the already nimble platform desperately needed performance tyres to suit it

What Happened?
    To Summaries John Boston steered the car to a respectful 1:14.7 in dead standard trim – Toyo Proxes R888 + the exact same car without ANY changes resulted in a very impressive 1:12.5, shaving 2.1 seconds clear off the lap time with no adjustments what so ever.

The long Version of the Story?

We arrived at Wakefield to some light rain which held up progress, however that didn’t stop John hitting the track with his performance box for some wet track data. On a damp track with some drizzle still threatening to ruin the day the dead standard 86 managed a 1:17.4. John came back in and had some basic feedback on the car as it was his first time in an 86 / BRZ…

John had this to say; “The track was wet and there’s much more in it from a lap time point of view but it already indicates how well these cars are set up from the factory floor. It brake well, steers well and goes… It seems very well balanced overall and doesn’t seem to under steer or over steer at all. Let’s hold out until after lunch and see if the track dries out…”

After lunch the clouds cleared and the sun dried up the track nicely – It was a race to get back out though as the clouds in the distance weren’t looking like they were going to do us any favors.

Take 2 !
    The 86 hit the dry track and the extra grip saw the best factory time achieving a 1:14.7. Coming in our friends from Toyo tyres jumped into action confirming and checking the tire temperatures across the tread on all four corners as well as tire pressures. From the data collected it showed that the front tyres were working the outside edge a little more than the rest of the tire and another interesting point, the rear inside wheel (Driver side) was doing very little compared to the other 3 tyres by comparison.

Enter: Toyo Proxes R888’s
    Toyo has a clean set of Toyo R888’s ready to go – 215/45R17’s. They were wrapped over a set of new Speedy Fin rims which didn’t look so bad either! John took the 86 out and after a warm up lap we started to see the lap times fall. A 1:13.7 was heading in the right direction and then finally a 1:13.1 before the car was brought back in for some data to be collected. John commented that he saw the lap times falling but the factory brakes were starting to be an issue by lap 3 so there was no point staying out there. The tire data was checked and everything was behaving exactly how our friends from Toyo were hoping.

Was the 1:13.1 enough of an improvement? We thought it was heading in the right direction but we’re lucky we waiting around. Another session came and went and John hit the track for one last play. One warm up and then he laid down 1:12.6 followed quickly by a 1:12.5 bringing the car back in for a quick chat with the Toyo guys.

John’s feedback was impressive – The car had an clear improvement in turn in and corner entry while with much more confident lines into the corner allowing him to carry more speed and get back on the loud pedal earlier.

The session was still open for street cars and all the data had been collected so (almost) for the sake of it, John went out one last time and was reeled off 3 x consistent 1:12.5’s in a row to prove the point!

The data us still being gathered and collated, however John’s feedback on the car and ‘where to next’ was clear. It will need an improvement in brakes first and foremost. The chassis is very well balanced so don’t upset things too much there but you would want more power, no doubt. The shocks in the car seem to let the car down when you push wide, use all the track and take on the ripple strips. It doesn’t ruin the drive, but it does upset the car enough to be an issue.

What’s Next?
    We’re looking at the brakes as a matter of urgency. We have a few tricks up our sleeves and want to ensure the ‘light weight’ nature of the car is respected. Instead of simply throwing big, heavy and expensive hardware at the car we want to know we’re getting the braking improvement we need while keeping the up-sprung (and overall) weight of the car as low as possible.

We’ve also got TEIN Monoflex’s sitting patiently in the workshop waiting to be fitted. The homework on these has for the most part been done but the important part we’re looking at is the technology and engineering in the shock itself to help the car keep composure in all conditions. We’ll look at the ride height of the car and hot this effects drivability and the trade off with outright performance as well.

We’ve also just receive our HKS Spec L (Light Weight) Exhaust system for testing. This represents a 7kg drop in weight from the factory unit, should support some more performance and probably won’t sound too bad either.

Stay Tuned!

Kind Regards
    Chris Milne
    Tunehouse

wow impressive times for the car.... @Reedy...you have to beat that now with all the track time and money you've spent on your car lol

Heh I've got it covered by over 2 seconds already. That time is quicker than I was expecting for a stock car tho. Obviously a very good driver behind the wheel too.

Funny that you mention it tho, I am sitting in tunehouses front office right now looking at their 86 while my new coilovers install is being finalized.

Very interested to see how the 86 scales with money spent on it.

Im looking at this keen interest, Thanks Chris and TH ... Love this sort of stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast