User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan (Caff) & Pete (Slixx) Paint Calipers

Default Dan (Caff) & Pete (Slixx) Paint Calipers

On Saturday Dan ( @Caffeine Fiend ) and I ( @slixx ) painted our calipers
    As usual Dan arrived at my house and almost blinded me with how shiney and clean his car was

Dan started by cleaning his calipers with some Brake and & Caliper Cleaner and a wire brush and as he weren't so bad they cam up a treat

Mine were much worse and I had to use a wire wheel with a drill

Calipers were then given a Wax And Grease Remover spray/bath and rub clean

I believe I was being careful, but Dan was suggested I was slower than a turtle through peanut butter. Dan had already prepped, masked and began painting without me
    Starting with a light first coat and then applied the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in 15min intervals. The amounts of coats was determined with both of us looking at the calipers and saying "yeah, might need another coat"

After about 30mins, Dan and I agreed that he should try a coat of clear to see what the difference (if any) would be. The result came up almost in an instant, so a second clear was applied after another 15mins

By the time Dan was at this stage I finally started to paint mine. I applied only 3 coats

Dan kindly assisted me in carefully putting on the white MPS decals on my calipers.

Unfortunately when the Clear Coat was applied, the black paint began to bleed onto the decals and made a mess.
    Dan saw this as trouble and quickly bid his goodbye and hightailed it way outta of there!!!
    only joking!!

We decided that I should let it cure overnight and try again in the morning

I use some thinners and a cutip and carefully cleaned the excess paint off the decals, which worked better than I expected.
    I wiped the decal down and applied another coat of clear, but alas, it still bled onto the decal.
    With a exacto knife and a pair of tweezers i removed the decals, sanded them lightly, cleaned with Wax & Grease remover and reapplied 3 very light coats of black and then 2 coats of clears

I think I might order some more decals and try again after a week or so of drying, so I can be sure the black and clear coats are completely cured.
    I like the black, but i think the white decal breaks it up a bit.
    I think the red looks a treat on Dan's car and because of the RX-8 Rims, the really shows them off

A massive thanks goes to Dan for clearing his busy detailing schedule to come over and supervise, help and give me s*%t about being slow!!
    Thanks again mate, appreciate the time
    Last edited by slixx; 09-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Wowzaz, they came up nice.
    What paints we're you using?

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

3. Default

+25 kw advantage

looks the goods.

can be a tricky little project - last time i did it i thought taking the calipers off completely would make life easy - was nearly a disaster (didn't have replacement crush washers so had to reuse old ones which leaked - drained the ABS system without knowing they need to be pressure bled which you can't do in the backyard - and overtightened one o the banjo bolts and stripped the soft alloy thread in the caliper).

SO.

my lesson, kids - is paint the fckers while they're on the car!

5. Default

Im pretty sure I put a few coats of clear coat on my black first, applied the decal then another couple of clear coat

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Wowzaz, they came up nice.
    What paints we're you using?

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    I used 3M Caliper Paint

@Caffeine Fiend used DupliColor
    Both are High temp paints.
    Mine says that it will only cure under heat, hence why I couldn't put the clear on without it dissolving the black onto the decal

Once it cured, it wont be that hard to clean and apply the decals then
    Last edited by slixx; 09-07-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Currently RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Im pretty sure I put a few coats of clear coat on my black first, applied the decal then another couple of clear coat
    Was an option, but by the time I thought of that, the decals were buggered. Keep on keeping on

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I used 3M Caliper Paint

@Caffeine Fiend used DupliColor

Both are High temp paints. Mine says that it will only cure under heat
    Peter "SLIXX"
    Oh and another tip learned from hard experiene, don't paint and then try cure in your oven - there WILL be brake fluid left in the caliper and that stuff smells and smokes - HARD - when you boil it.

I'm thinking of giving this a go, but reversing it and using the decals as masks - so spray duplicolor metal cast base coat down (comes out metallic silver) then apply decals - spray duplicolor metal cast red over the top and allow to dry - remove the decals then admire the nice silver painted logo underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Was an option, but by the time I thought of that, the decals were buggered. Keep on keeping on

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Very nice job

Looks great, I just did mine with a g2 comparable kit, doesnt seem to have come out looking as good as yours, more ceramic looking but more 'bumpy'

Good write up Pete, was fun

Might edit your post to enlarge the pics though

Great work they look nice. Its amazing when good prep is done the outcome is 'glowing goodness' ....

Look the goods guys

Quick shot of how mine turned out just gotta clear over the decal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341891822.935606.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	11556
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

I like the white decal on the red ... very nice

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Quick shot of how mine turned out just gotta clear over the decal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341891822.935606.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	11556
    Where did you get your decals from?
    I originally purchased them from www.hotcarstuff.com.au, but I am a little worried from some of the reports on the forum over the last couple of months

Currently RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Where did you get your decals from?
    I originally purchased them from www.hotcarstuff.com.au, but I am a little worried from some of the reports on the forum over the last couple of months
    I got mine from hotcarstuff too, but it was quite a while ago now, the decals have been sitting there for months I just decided to paint the calipers recently...
    Do I need hi-temp clear to clear over the decal?
    Im planning on spraying a bit in a cup and just brushing it on over the decal but I only have 'regular' clear acrylic lacquer from 3M. Not sure what temp its rated at.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

You'll need high temp clear mate. Pete picked his up from Supercheap

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just got a reply from Andrew @ HotCarStuff

He has assured me he has resolved all issues and has encouraged myself to order them for delivery in 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Do I need hi-temp clear to clear over the decal?
    Im planning on spraying a bit in a cup and just brushing it on over the decal but I only have 'regular' clear acrylic lacquer from 3M. Not sure what temp its rated at.
    I used the 3M clear Caliper paint suitable or high temps

Peter "SLIXX"
    Last edited by slixx; 11-07-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Currently RaydTuned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast