User Tag List

Thread: Going up in tyre size

1. Default Going up in tyre size

Hi Guys,

I have a Mps Gen 1 2008 sports. With stock tyres at 215/45/18. Was thinking of getting the Michelin pilot super sports from Taleb Tyres for $299 each. Is the size 225/40/18 ok for the Gen 1 mps? Are there any drawbacks to having this tyre size compared to the standard tyre size?

I'm asking this, as Michelin and other brands don't have 215/45/18 sizes, so I'm forced to go a little different. A guy at beaurepairs told me that the size should be ok, and that the only thing I had to look out for was a slightly inaccurate speedo. is this true?

thanks

225/45 would be better...
    It fits on stock rims, but isn't ideal it balloons a bit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have Michelin pilot sport 3, 235/40/18 on my gen.1 MPS3. There are no problems with these tyres other than having to get my rear guards rolled. I also find them to be an excellent tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    I have Michelin pilot sport 3, 235/40/18 on my gen.1 MPS3. There are no problems with these tyres other than having to get my rear guards rolled. I also find them to be an excellent tyre.
    Snap. Same tire and size, but mine are on 18x8 RX8 rims.
    Am also finding them to be a good tire

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

5. Default

Thanks for the responses, not sure which to go for then? 225/45/18 or 225/40/18? And these should be fine on stock rims?

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Thanks for the responses, not sure which to go for then? 225/45/18 or 225/40/18? And these should be fine on stock rims?
    I ran 225/45 on stock rims for 18 months, helps correct speedo, got 225/40 on current ones (came with new rims) and it's out big time

Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

7. Default

Thanks for the response sarcastic one, I'll keep that in mind. Looks like it's better to go for 225/45.Cheers

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

I was just about to get the Toyo proxes T1 Sport, as it comes in 215/45/18. But wanted the Mchelin super sport's even thought the size is a little different. I thought that maybe the tyre would perform better even though it's not the perfect size. What do you think? Stick with the toyo's or go for the Michelin's that aren't perfect size?

perfect size (if you can even call it that) isn't what dictates performance.

just buy the widest tyre that the rim will allow without ballooning/bludging out.

a slightly larger rolling diameter will give you extra grip, 225/45 or 215/50 should be fine. personally i wouldn't be puting a 225 width tyre on a 7 inch width rim.

Is it just me or is that very cheap for super sports?
    I'd be checking the mfg dates on those, highly suspect they are old stock.

The 45s ride a but better than the 40s.
    I've been running 225s on stock rims for about 4 years.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

You would be alright running 225s. EIther 45/40 profile is suitable. Easiest thing to do after to avoid a ticket if you are running the 40s is use your GPS speedo and just correlate with your speedo.

Yeah as Jmac said. Look at your manufacturing dates on the Supersports. Its a recent line so shouldnt be too long since mfg date but its been out in the states for awhile now. Thats a good price...just be wary. Cheapest quoted I could get $429 a corner balanced and fitted.

11. Default

you will be paying extra for the 45 becasue it is not a standard size. not many cars use that size. i use 225 40 18 without any issues.