User Tag List

Thread: MPS Gen 1 suspension issues/faults

1. Default MPS Gen 1 suspension issues/faults

Hey everyone,

Just want to discuss a few common suspension issues with the Gen 1 MPS's that i have found and fixed and facing.

Rear shocks, were replaced cause of a knocking noise, dead shocks.

Front strut mount, bearing and bump stops from mazda were replaced cause of a knocking noise, worn and torn bearing and bump stops, and front strut mounts were replaced while the suspension was taken apart.

Now, after that being done, hear a knocking noise in the middle front, front sway bar bushings? that need to be replaced? im guessing i didnt take notice of it much cause i thought it was just the front shock strut mounts that needed to be replaced and was told by pedders and a few mechanic friends that its just the strut mounts.

Taking it again to an independent mechanic to look further and most likely change the front sway bar bushes, hopefully this fixes everything up.

2. Default

I'm in a similar boat as yourself. I recently experienced loud knocking (mainly over slow bumps) due to worn crown strut bearings (sounds like a very common issue). I replaced these and upgraded shocks/springs but now am hearing the same rattle or knock in the middle that you speak of. I'm curious to hear how you go and if it clears up this knock and I'll look into it myself.

Yea it'll prolly be the d bushes for the front sway bar. Costs like 30 from Mazda..

4. Default

yeah im leaning towards that too, the d bushes what size are they ? can i just get after market ones like super pro and fit them in? just not sure on the size for oem front sway bar, 21mm? 26mm?

I got the SURE urethane ones put on mine and the knock is completely gone.
    Couldn't believe that's all that fixed this annoying issue we all have at sometime.

6. Default

ha ha kinda kicking my self, could of just been just that, instead i changed new strut mounts, bearings and bump stops and shocks .

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

did you need to remove the endlinks and lower the subframe to replace the sway bar bushes?

I had a mate do it on a hoist didn't removed anything u can fit ur arms and us a spanner to get to it.. Took about 15 mins. He said ur best getting the oem ones as it would fit easiest and without any issues

8. Default

thanks mate, sounds to easy yeah probably get a mate to do it at his workshop then fiddle under the car my self

9. Default

ended up just regreasing the old front sway bar d bushes and noise is GONE! also retighened the sway bar down and checked for any other issues, all looks ok.

didnt have to take the subframe off to do this, if you can reach each bolt on the front sway bar brackets you should be fine.

I regreased them too. Waste of time. Noise went, but came back.
    Any suspension clunk anyone gets, do the sway bar bush first. It's the cheapest and easiest thing to try.
    I went the wrong way and did the expensive things that were suggested first

I've got upgraded front and rears on the way from Street Unit - i'm 99% sure it will get rid of that sound, can't wait!

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I regreased them too. Waste of time. Noise went, but came back.
    Any suspension clunk anyone gets, do the sway bar bush first. It's the cheapest and easiest thing to try.
    I went the wrong way and did the expensive things that were suggested first
    how long til after did the noise come back? my old bushes looked fine, not cracked or anything but i used proper bushing grease, and theres no sound.
    Yeah i did the most expensive thing first ha ha, best off doing the cheapest like you mentioned in the other post, this forum is good, actually hear what peoples issues were and how they delt with it then taking it to the mechanic.

I used proper grease aswell. Lasted about a month.
    The damage is wear inside the bush allowing the sway bar around inside the bush.

Yea the bushes seem fine when I took em out. I you compare the old with the new you'll notice that the old one will be stretched and that the sway doesn't fit snug and that's what causes the noise

15. Default

yeah true, they were a bit stretchy, but no major damage. whats better oem or after market ones?

Street Unit upgraded urethane units arrived today.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342187005.807060.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	11579

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Street Unit upgraded urethane units arrived today.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342187005.807060.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	11579
    Let us know how the ride feels and if the Oem brackets fit