User Tag List

Thread: Conflicting views on SRI vs Standard Airbox on Stock MPS

1. Default Conflicting views on SRI vs Standard Airbox on Stock MPS

Hi all,

My apologies in advance if this has been covered but i tried my best searching for similar topics with no luck..

OK so after reading alot of threads on here and other forums on starter mods for the MPS the most common response by far seems to be REM, SRI, BOV etc

Everyone seems to rave on so much about the SRI "
    This is the easiest and most effective first modification "
    it seemed like a must - so i ordered, installed and was expecting some sort of noticeable power increase

I think i convinced myself for the first day that the car was faster - not that I've dyno'd to see the exact difference in figures but in all honesty after i got over the intake sound it kind of felt like a waste of money with little if any benefits - Please correct me if your experience has been different

When i was installing the SRI in my mates garage, his dad (mechanic) was laughing at us saying that it was going to do more harm than good - i ignored him thinking it was just him being his usual negative self stuck in his ways having a crack at us'

Then a few weeks ago i was at MRT buying a BOV and the guy there was a top bloke, we were having a chat about my car and he said they can do a free inspection, check if i had any boost leeks etc When i told him about the SRI he immediately asked why i installed it? I told him about what id heard from the forums and he went on to basically disagree with everything i had read? He said unless the card is Dyno tuned the SRI will actually be worst the the factory air-box as it apparently cant get a clear air flow reading..?

I went back to collect my car from MRT after the check up - speaking to another staff member from MRT he strongly advised putting the stock air-box on until a proper dyno tune

Would appreciate your opinions most being MPS drivers -
    - 2008 MPS 3 - Metro Grey - Shadow chrome stockers - Corksport TIP + SRI - SURE Shortcut - GFB Respons BOV-

Theres proabably 50/50 here that will agree and disgree. Yes definitely tuned will be the most beneficial but ecu will also learn itself. You'll never find a definite answer on this subject thats why you have found mixed reviews. Take it as you will its your car your decision. Goodluck either way.

I enjoy it not for the power gains (there were none), but for the noise, the look, and I wanted to spend money.

One day I'll tune the car, but right now, I couldn't stand putting the OEM box back in.
    @Oldhead has modified his OEM box to great affect. As has Luke (can't remember his odd forum name).

This is all just personal taste.

There are huge threads about this already. As Ken says, 50/50.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I enjoy it not for the power gains (there were none), but for the noise, the look, and I wanted to spend money.

One day I'll tune the car, but right now, I couldn't stand putting the OEM box back in.
    @Oldhead has modified his OEM box to great affect. As has Luke (can't remember his odd forum name).

This is all just personal taste.

There are huge threads about this already. As Ken says, 50/50.
    @Yeldarb is RedDjinn .. If your going BT sri or cai it is needed! I have a BNR S2 and running airbox with no issues. Standard tune dont bother with sri or cai unless you want some more noise and looks when adding a aftermarket airbox. Sri or Cai will prob only gain you a couple extra ponnies even tuned as said before unless BT
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Bluetooth?

Big Tits? lol

Big twats...

If it was me I would buy an Accessport get an e tune and with the money you saved from not getting dyno tuned buy a down pipe , and hpfp internals. Then your but dyno will definitely notice an increase. All the best with your mods.

I had an SRI on for over a year before I got an accessport and no problems here. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    If it was me I would buy an Accessport get an e tune and with the money you saved from not getting dyno tuned buy a down pipe , and hpfp internals. Then your but dyno will definitely notice an increase. All the best with your mods.

I had an SRI on for over a year before I got an accessport and no problems here. Cheers.
    This ^
    Without wanting to start up another heated debate, I think MRT were just trying to sell you a dyno tune....
    You're more likely to need a tune after a BOV than a SRI, these cars run recirculation as standard, running a bov causes the car to run rich on gear changes...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Then you need to call these guys b _ _it artists if the above assessment is corect. No effect at all by CAI or SRI???

AEM CAI 25+hp to the wheels - YouTube

Well, we saw the impact of a sri on an untuned car at the tunehouse dyno day,
    Did a run with the airbox, swapped out for Cobb sri, did another run, the car was NOT as crisp in the top end with the SRI.
    And before anyone says the ECU didnt have time to 'relearn', the ecu does no learning at WOT.
    a BOV has no side affect if run in full recirc. which you should be doing on this car anyway...

12. Default

thanks for your all your comments guys - ill change my BOV to the full re circ setting now - i thought 50/50 was safe to run? better safe than sorry i spose

Quote Originally Posted by dave197 View Post
    thanks for your all your comments guys - ill change my BOV to the full re circ setting now - i thought 50/50 was safe to run? better safe than sorry i spose
    It is "safe" your car will just run rich, so AFR will go <10:1 its when it starts going >12:1 you start worrying

It's just not how the car was designed to run...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

It also depends on the CAI itself as some give better results than other. I can tell you I have the same car 2008 3MPS and CS turbo inlet pipe works well, also removing air snorkel from the front of the factory air box works well because the snorkel is restricted inside to about 2 inch, however hole in the air box where the snorkel attaches is around 2,25 inch.

I've had either a Sri or CAI for nearly 5 years. The brands I've owned have allowed faster spool times and great noise. It is a supporting mod which is useful.

Always be careful of anterior motives.... Plenty of owners have run intakes with no issues.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Well, we saw the impact of a sri on an untuned car at the tunehouse dyno day,
    Did a run with the airbox, swapped out for Cobb sri, did another run, the car was NOT as crisp in the top end with the SRI.
    And before anyone says the ECU didnt have time to 'relearn', the ecu does no learning at WOT.
    a BOV has no side affect if run in full recirc. which you should be doing on this car anyway...
    It does adjust the AFR. I know i have logged with airbox and cai before. When you first put the cai in its stonger for the first 100-200 ks than its not as good..
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341627968.949390.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	11525

Did someone say snorkel?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    It does adjust the AFR. I know i have logged with airbox and cai before. When you first put the cai in its stonger for the first 100-200 ks than its not as good..
    Partial throttle or WOT?
    The only way to adjust AFR's at WOT is by calibrating the MAF...
    LTFT will adjust the AFR's at partial throttle automatically

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A lot of this could be speculation, on the guy you were talking too's part. If the company has put a ton of hours into R&D, and develops a good product, you're going to see improvements. If one goes and gets parts off different cards, and pieces together a SRI, you won't likely have good results. I know we put a ton of R&D time in on our Stage II SRI and it works great, and has proven gains.

-Tyler