User Tag List

Thread: Tyres for Mps Gen 1

1. Default Tyres for Mps Gen 1

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I needed to get a new set of 4 tyres for my Gen 1. I ended up going to Jax Liverpool and was talked into getting 4 Falken ze 912's at $185 per tyre. I kind of regretted getting the tyres after it was done, though the guy said that they only stocked Falken, so at the time it seemed like a reasonable decision.
    I'm now thinking of getting rid of the front 2 which are 214/45 and two days old, and replacing them with something like a yokohama, or Pirelli zero on the fronts.

What is your opinion of the Falken's compared to the pirelli's? Do they have similar performance, or is there a big difference? Is it even worth getting better tyres now that I have already spent this money?
    If so, any idea where I could sell 2 day old tyres?

Thanks

What dont you like? Give them a chance to bed in - you might change your mind.

3. Default

I just thought that since they were more of a budget tyre , they wouldnt perform as good as something like a pirelli or a michellin. Wet and Dry.

If you change, do them all...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

New tyres take time to bed in as Smokey said. Sound as if you regretted buying the tyres because they are not your first choice and they are a budget tire. Tyres can be easy to sell on places like ebay the only problem is that the size that you bought is not common (i only know them to be for the MPS3 Gen 1 only unless someone else knows another vehicle that uses them).

In the end, what are you looking for out of the tyres? Longevity? Grip? For wet and dry? Wasnt very clear in what aspects of the tyre you were looking for (unless I missed them). Search our forum or go to the Handling and wheels section. Look at the stickied threads there to get an idea.

6. Default

I was looking for good performance, mainly exceptional grip. I've seen Michellin Pilot Sport 3's on ebay from Tempe Tyres for $250 a tyre, which seems like a good price and they install the tyres free of chage. The only problem is getting rid of the falken's. They're only 2 days old but would part with them for $125 a tyre, paid $185 a tyre. I haven't read too many good things about them. Anyone have any experience?

here you go mate... check out this section.

Handling/Wheels/Tyres

8. Default

Thanks..yeah that was a great section.

9. Default

Some of the cheaper tyres can be alright, my toy car (350rwkw commodore) has been through all sorts over the years, still to this day the best tyre I've had on there was the cheapest (Maxxis V1's I think they were)... in saying that I have not had any luck with Falkens and would never buy them again.... on the Mazda, be it Gen2 I just did my first tyre change (at 45k), ditched the crappy dunlop things for a set of Kuhmo (forgot the model) , they were about $280 a corner and have been brilliant in the mainly wet Melbourne conditions we've had of recent..

I ran a 12.6 at Calder in my skyline - on retreads - not a word of a lie. I bought some cheap rims with meaty tyres to have some fun on. They were only rated to 150km/h.....which I found out later.....I didn't do that again.

Also had Achilles before - they have awesome life span due to 800 treadwear - but in wet, even on just steady braking the abs use to kick in.

I think spend as much as you can afford - that would be my advice.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 12-07-2012 at 06:48 PM.

11. Default

Thanks for the advice, I've decided on michelin pilot super sport 225/45/18 at $375 each from Tempe tyres. Only the front two though, leaving the falkens on the back.

That could be interesting - oversteer in a FWD, fun times!
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Guys in the states often put wider fronts on for auto x to try eliminate under steer.....could be onto something. If nothing else at least you might get some grip in a straight line for once!

14. Default

Yeah true..see how it goes. Should be pretty good.