User Tag List

Thread: 2010 VW Golf R20T / GTI-R To Get 224kW?

Blog Entries

Default 2010 VW Golf R20T / GTI-R To Get 224kW?

With the European winter season at its end, car makers from around the world have descended upon Germany’s fabled Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit to test out their most recent creations.

A recent addition to the circuit test roster is Volkswagen, with shots of its new performance hatchback, the Golf R20T (or GTI-R) finding their way onto the interweb. Now, there’s some juicy powerplant rumours to go with the photos.

According to the folks at AutoMotorSport.se, the R20T will receive a 2.0 litre twin turbocharged power plant, producing a rumoured 224kw (300hp). It has also been reported VW is targeting a 0-100km/h time of under six seconds, in addition to an electronically limited to speed of 250km/h.

Details are sketchy at present, but whispers indicate VW will trick out the 2.0 litre engine it currently shares with Audi.

That engine is currently seen in the Audi S3 and the Golf GTI, developing 198kw (265hp) in the Audi hatch and 157kw (211hp) in the punchy Golf. The top of the range R20T will therefore provide a fairly substantial increase in power compared to its little brother.

The power boost received by the R20T will put it on a collision path with the 224kw (300hp) Ford Focus RS and Renault’s 186kw (250hp) Megane RenaultSport and place the car within the upper reaches of the super-mini stratosphere.

It has been suggested that the R20T, successor to the R32 of the Golf IV and V series’, will be previewed at this year’s Nurburgring 24-hour race.

Head of Engineering for the GTI, Rolf Trump, said the decision to steer away from the R32 was prompted by VW’s belief the car was not economical enough for today’s standards.

“We believe the R32 was a concept that was out of touch with its time. It has very high fuel consumption and the outputs were not adequate.

“An intelligent four-cylinder engine now can deliver adequate performance with much better economy. Fuel economy is definitely the priority now.

Source: The Motor Report.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Blog Entries

those rims look a bit "jap cr@p" to me but if it is anything like most of the other R series VWs they will go like a rocket!

hawt, hawt, HAWT!!!
    I want one of these baby as my next car...

If it's awd and more affordable than an R36 I've found my next car.

Me likey!

sad to see the end of the r32 one of my fav al time cars!! yes this needs to be a awd car... looks fab... love the r series tho...

Now lets see a nice interior and the right price and I would have found a car that can replace my amazing MPS

Looks great and has some street greed about it but if Mazda put AWD on the new 3 or even a 6 and worked the 2.5 they would also get some impressive power out of them....

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    If it's awd and more affordable than an R36 I've found my next car.
    +1 to that, I could also be looking to one of these too if they're AWD and MPS priced The current 2 litre TFSI is one damn fine motor, this one sounds ballistic
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

10. Default

Looks good, but don't like the rims. They're very much like those on the Audi R8 V10:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audi-r8-v10-2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	543  

Quote Originally Posted by nickows View Post
    Looks good, but don't like the rims. They're very much like those on the Audi R8 V10:
    I would have a guess to say...they are from the same parts bin.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

i wouldn't say no if i was given one of these lol

is it awd???? would b an awesome ride of it was. twin turbo

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    +1 to that, I could also be looking to one of these too if they're AWD and MPS priced The current 2 litre TFSI is one damn fine motor, this one sounds ballistic
    +2...

Quote Originally Posted by nickows View Post

I definately wouldnt kick it out of bed just because it had wheels that were like the ones on the hottest car on the planet

Never thought id actually admit to liking a VW....only due to ignorance i never really knew much about them.....i just saw VW and thought BEETLE and COMBI VAN!!! Even at the first event i ever went to with that other mazda forum...Dyno day organised by Swallowtail..there were VW's everywhere (even a bloody beetle)but i was still too much in love with my Sexy MPS at the time to even consider taking an interest!!!!

Anyway as Sanchez said....i may have found a MPS replacement if all the correct boxes are ticked and is it even coming to OZ???....but in saying that.... i now have two cars that could replace it...although i will get flamed if it gets out...only a few people know what it is....sshhhh

P.S....I just noticed the sexy Audi light thing going on...mmmmm!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    .but in saying that.... i now have two cars that could replace it...although i will get flamed if it gets out...only a few people know what it is....sshhhh
    I promise not to let anyone know about your secret fetish for Mustard Yellow XF Ford Falcons with '4 on the floor' and venetians...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    I promise not to let anyone know about your secret fetish for Mustard Yellow XF Ford Falcons with '4 on the floor' and venetians...

...And to think you were my friend

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    [COLOR="Magenta"]i now have two cars that could replace it...although i will get flamed if it gets out...only a few people know what it is....sshhhh [COLOR]

Someone told me what the other car was and I have only one thing to say.....

....SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!

CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Someone told me what the other car was and I have only one thing to say.....

....SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!