User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning to all new COBB AP owners

Red face Warning to all new COBB AP owners

I left my COBB AP plugged into the OBD port overnight. The COBB AP doesn't have an 'auto-off' option (I think there is a feature request for this somewhere on the COBB forums).

Anyway, I woke to a very flat battery this morning. It kept trying to contact the ECU and drained the crap out of the battery NRMA jumped started me.

Lesson learned

Bwahahaha, did that with my Bluetooth obd2 device when on holidays...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lol =p

ye that kinda sux doesnt it !

im thinking of wiring in a off/on toggle switch ... ill see how bothered i am and reevaluate later.

That happened with my DashBoss (another OBD2 device) as well. Left it plugged in, no sound on the first crank, always started with the second crank with a CEL. Understand why now...

Dashhawk FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Dashhawk FTW!
    As good as they are, my Dashhawk has caused many flat batteries simply because I drive the car so infrequently. My Exide battery is good for about two weeks with the Dashhawk left plugged in and about a month with it unplugged. Now I just leave the car connected to a trickle charger.

Gone to Volvo

I've got another OBDII tool called a 'DashDyno'. It has a clever auto-off option, that says if the car's RPM is zero, turn itself off.

I wouldve thought the AP would have an auto-off, suprising.

10. Default

Yes it's kinda silly for a device this good to lack such a simple feature. The connector seems quite delicate as well so I hope it holds up OK. Jaycar sell battery protection devices that detect when voltage reaches a certain low threshold and then cuts power to the car. You may wanna look into that? Low Voltage Battery Isolator - Jaycar Electronics

They're working on it - but there are guides on how to wire a switch in line - not hard at all just fiddly.

I'm sure they will do a firmware update for it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    They're working on it - but there are guides on how to wire a switch in line - not hard at all just fiddly.
    Then you still have to remember to turn it off lol

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Technically yes - but not if you relay it to ign +12v

15. Default

It is something you just learn to do, although I have left it plugged in for days at a time with no problem with the battery. I really don't think there is much current drain at all, if your battery went flat overnight from the AP might be time for a new battery.

I plug mine in to flash a map in and the rest of the time it lives in the box.

How interesting. So i'm assuming everyone pretty much plug it in to do the logs, then just unplug it before getting out? Seem so much hassel...

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    How interesting. So i'm assuming everyone pretty much plug it in to do the logs, then just unplug it before getting out? Seem so much hassel...
    No Hassell at all, you will want to unplug it and hook it up to you Computer to view the logs.
    GENII 2009 MPS LUX

Parting Out

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    I wouldnt unplug the OBD end and plug it in every time I get in, you will more than likely screw the OBD port. I would be removing it from the AP end.

I use my dashhawk to monitor. I only log when needed and plug it in to flash, the rest of the time its in the glove box.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

where is this guide to install a switch, i have left my ap pluged in for a week and not started the car without issues. id rather turn it off in car parks to not draw attention to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast