User Tag List

Thread: Cel....doh!

Default Cel....doh!

Hopefully someone can help, after 6 months of trouble free-driving with my modded MPS a CEL has suddenly appeared! I took the car to Brisbane Turbo & Tuning yesterday to have them take a look at this because they're around the corner from my work & they managed to clear the light but it has re-appeared. I called them back today to get some more info and they've said it was something to do with Post Cat FT Sensor. He said i may need to replace my O2 sensor which could be over $500-!! Hoping this isn't the case...As i have NO CLUE about these things i thought i would ask on here!

If it helps..the car is behaving perfectly normal and only 24 hours before the light come on i filled it up with Vortex98 at my usual servo in Annerley...

Thanks in advance!
    Bob
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Your usual servo in Annerley? Man, why don't we see each other more often!

Not sure if it would help, but I can read/clear the code again for you.

See Troy first, he can work a bit of magic I'm sure

What's your exhaust mods again?

whats the code bro? Buy a Access Port use stage 2 and you will never see the cel caused by the position of o2 sensor again, that or you can buy a o2 extender from the states and pop that in i hear that fix's some of the problems caused by the DP and o2 sensors.

got an actual CEL code?

If it is the rear sensor ,a new one from USA is way cheaper then in AUS.
    Pull the rear sensor and clean ,they can become very dirty with rich fuel.
    Careful though when cleaning ,wipe with dry cloth only and use contact cleaner spray only ,nothing else.

Well spoke with the guy from BTT again and he didn't actually make a note of the error code..grrrr. Might take you up on the offer Brad if you have a gadget to read the computer! Would like Troy to run he's expert eye over it but he's a hard man to pin down these days! Thanks also to Noob & Oldhead re: alternatives for replacement sensor/s/....with any luck the current sensor just needs a good clean or the fuel i used was a little contaminated!

get the code, anyone with a reader that lives near by?

Yer will do thanks Red...i just pulled up the invoice i received from BTT....

reads something like this..

- Read DTC's
    - Waste Gate Solenoid Low
    - O2 Sensor Indicates Lean
    - Cleared Codes - Waste gate error still remains
    - Trace wire on interceptor - OK
    - Check settings on Interceptor
    - Pull up output 4 not enabled - re-enabled
    - Clear DTC

Not sure if there are any more clues here..but will see what happens..

If you get the CEL again, come to the BBQ on Sunday and use my ScanGage II.

Sounds like you have an intermittant short on your WG solenoid though. Check your wiring looms for any rubbing or exposed wires. Bank lean on idle is a pretty common fault. I get that almost everytime it rains.... It doesn't do anything.

Thanks Jeev...will have a poke around tonight make sure no obvious wiring issues

Quote Originally Posted by mpsupthebumnobabies View Post
    whats the code bro? Buy a Access Port use stage 2 and you will never see the cel caused by the position of o2 sensor again, that or you can buy a o2 extender from the states and pop that in i hear that fix's some of the problems caused by the DP and o2 sensors.
    Bad advice considering it has nothing to do with the tune and he doesn't have a hpfp for stage 2 tunes dude lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    If you get the CEL again, come to the BBQ on Sunday and use my ScanGage II.

Sounds like you have an intermittant short on your WG solenoid though. Check your wiring looms for any rubbing or exposed wires. Bank lean on idle is a pretty common fault. I get that almost everytime it rains.... It doesn't do anything.
    Yep I'd be looking towards wg solenoid too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I don't know the exact loom layout, but if you have an aftermarket intake; a common problem is the loom near the battery box rubbing on the intake/hose clamps

I've been dealing with my CEL for quite a long time now. I just leave it. I've gotten a p0421 for ages and sometimes it disappears. I clear it and it seems to do the trick until you do long cruises on highways, then it comes back. I believe its the "something below threashold bank" i dunno, its to do with the o2 sensor, its not harmful i believe. If you come on Sunday i can also read yours as well. As for the accessport, i'm still not too keen on it just yet as i want to make sure all the testing is done as fongy was having issues with boost cut with the generic tune. Again, i can wait but i've gotten all the necessities to increase power.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

As @Oldhead said, cleaning the 02 is a big help.
    Driving in traffic alot (or highway cruising) will increase the chances of the P0421 CEL.

I can space the CEL with some new spacers I have for exactly this.
    I haven't tried the new spacers on the MPS yet, mostly on the Ford Focus XR5 and they work great.
    The spacer is $25.

Thanks for the extra info guys....hopefully though my assumption about the bad fuel was right....ran it down to empty and filled up this morning...as soon as i started the car up after filling the tank cel disappeared! Business as usual! Touch wood