User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Next mod - TMIC suggestions please ?

Unboxing this evening Installation tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmic.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	11907

Fantastic result @naasif !!
    Good to see that all hope is not lost...
    Enjoy ur install mate

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Just a word of warning when changing the front boost tube.. the lower factory clamp is an absolute BIT#H to get get to!!
    Best allow yourself some time an be patient..
    Other than that the install is a breeze.
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by MPSed View Post
    Fantastic result @naasif !!
    Good to see that all hope is not lost...
    Enjoy ur install mate

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Just a word of warning when changing the front boost tube.. the lower factory clamp is an absolute BIT#H to get get to!!
    Best allow yourself some time an be patient..
    Other than that the install is a breeze.
    Enjoy
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm starting first thing tomorrow and have allowed the whole day (being the mechanical noob that I am )
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    Well interesting developments since these last few posts, which I will share with you all now

Corksport have been in contact with MPS Garage regarding my quote direct from CorkSport vs their pricing. Daniel from MPS Garage has come in extremely close to CorkSport pricing, which for me, was acceptable.

Given immediately delivery at a comparable price vs 4-6 weeks wait. I went with the quick option.

I've picked up my parts today from MPS Garage. No issues.

I'd like to thank @TylerAtCorkSport , Gwynne from CorkSport and Daniel from MPS Garage for their prompt attention and assistance in getting more competitive pricing.

End result - customer is happy.
    Naasf, we're very pleased that you're happy. I can't wait to see how you like it!
    -Tyler

if you take the whole day, you're doing it wrong lol

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    if you take the whole day, you're doing it wrong lol
    Took me 1.5 hours first time... cause I couldn't work out what to do with the OEM placement of bpv...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

How's it going mate? In already?

Ok...it's all in

Start to finish 2.5 hrs, which included replacement of boot tubes. I've noted the issues at the end of this write up.

So, I got all my (limited) tools ready and opened the instructions that came with the TMIC. Very handy for a noob like me

Here is a pic of the stock TMIC and shroud before removal -

Name:	1 - stock.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	11910 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 - stock tmic.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	11911

Removed the TMIC and existing boot tubes. What a PITA to remove the bottom boost tube. Trying to get a screwdriver/socket wrench in that tight space was a bitch !

Excuse the very dirty looking engine.

Name:	3 - no tmic.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	11912

Here is a side by side comparison of the Mazda TMIC and CorkSport TMIC -

Name:	4 - compare1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	11913 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 - compare2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	11915

Installed the new CorkSport boost tubes, then realised the 'you-beaut' clamps that go with the boost tubes were not easily accessible to tighten, especially the bottom tube.

So I remove the tubes and replaced the clamps with the ones that came with the Mazda tubes.

Took the cold pipe off the original TMIC (not forgetting to also remove the metal gasket, as per instructions ) and placed both on the CorkSport TMIC.

Then, I installed the TMIC onto the car. Looking nice and chunky

Name:	7 - corksport tmic2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	11914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 - corksport tmic1.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	11916

Tightened all boost tubes, replaced the BPV hoses, doubled checked everything gain.

Replaced the shroud. Looking nice and stealth

Name:	10 - final.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	11917

Issues -

1. Boost tubes clamps very difficult to get to, to both remove and replace, especially the one connecting the cold-pipe.

2. I've read the addendum on the CorkSport website re, Gen 2 shroud fitment issues and I can understand why. When the bolts (as marked above pic) are tightened, using the existing bolts they force the shroud to bend in order the reach the bolt holes, as the height of the TMIC does not make for a perfect alignment of the 2 front shroud bolts. The shroud does not actually sit level. This ends up causing the shroud to press hard against the fins of the TMIC.

I think this tight fitment issue can be avoided and I have a suggested modification/change to the instructions to @TylerAtCorkSport -

Amend the instructions to advise Gen 2 owners to do the following -

I found by loosening the screw (pic below on left) that holds the shroud at the back of the TMIC allows the shroud the sit more evenly on the top of the intercooler when the front bolts are tightened. The shroud still holds on at the back of the intercooler.

I've also temporarily used the allen-key bolts supplied as they are longer. They also needed washers. (Thanks @MPSed ).

The stock shroud bolts will not reach the bolt holes correctly. They need to be longer.

Name:	8 - shroud1.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	11918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 - shroud bolts.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	11920

About to apply the Intake + TIP + IC map and then take the car for a run
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Nice work mate. Looks the goods, and stealthy.

Are you going to log some runs? See how it stacks up?

Good work @naasif
    Hope u enjoy it as much as I do

Looks great, love the step by step write up too!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Nice work mate. Looks the goods, and stealthy.

Are you going to log some runs? See how it stacks up?
    Yes definitely. Going to take it easy with the new map for a few km then do couple of runs to see how the figures compare.

I'll start logging now for normal driving just to make sure the trims, knock etc still look normal under everyday driving conditions. Don't want no leak anywhere

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

So far so good..did normal driving to Rouse Hill shops with logged data. No knock or weird spikes in trims.

Will do nice normal long drive normal run to Campbelltown this evening and see how this goes.

@naasif,

I'm taking your suggestions to our Engineer!

-Tyler

awesome TMIC post mate, appreciate the pics and step by step guide. looks great covered and uncovered !

Looks great. Did you get the corksport heat shield?

Default Next mod - TMIC suggestions please ?

Heat shield? You mean the shroud on the top? No, that is the stock gen 2 shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post

Name:	8 - shroud1.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	11918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 - shroud bolts.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	11920
    that's exactly what I did on my Gen 1, I put a spacer about 5mm thick under that metal tab. However I have another fitment issue where the 2 bolts to fit the stock shroud back on dont line up now. the holes on the tmic are about 2mm too wide apart.. Im going to file out the holes in the shroud.

Good TMIC thread. Corksport is good for the stealthy look but out of all TMICs I've seen first hand, which is all of them, the ETS is definitely the highest quality. Great fitment of the shroud, welds are A+, and all the colors come out so clean. The anodized ones looks really nice and clean. They do have the thickest core along with CP-E too.

@naasif @TylerAtCorkSport

did a bit of an experiment with corksport TMIC and the optional shroud vs the stock cover. My preliminary results are that with the corksport shroud, my BATs are about 5-10 degrees cooler than with the stock shroud. Furthermore, the tmic heatsoaks less and also cools down quicker after being heat soaked.

I'm going to do some more logging over the next few days, particularly during the day.

as much as I love the stealth look, if these results continue, I think I'll change to the corksport shroud.

Thanks for the update.

I have the shroud in the garage sitting in a box. Might have to give it a try.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234