User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VVT issues

Default VVT issues

Guys Quick story and looking for your opinion.
    Car Mods for information

• Best Dump Pipe
    • SRI, and Turbo inlet pipe CP-e
    • Cp-e TMIC
    • CT , easy flash pro tune

• Booked car in for VVT, and chain and guides to be replaced.
    • Picked up the car the same day I dropped it off, driving away from the workshop I hear a loud vibrating noise. Noise is present upon load. (Tuesday)
    • U turn back to the work shop they believe it to be the CP-E Intercooler plate. All retightened
    • Took the service representative for a drive vibrating ticking noise still there.

[EDIT] Also noticed a lack of power and boost only 10 PSI. Back at the work shop found both hoses to the TMIC not tightened at all. Tightend boost pressure resolved.

• Back at the work shop I also re-flashed the car back to a stock tune, started the car revved it and found the noise was still present.
    • It was decided that the car would be left there to be fixed.

• Next day was advised they were still investigating, towards the afternoon it was decided to be pulled back down with another VVT installed ( Wednesday)

• Today ( Thursday) I received a call advising that after the rebuild the car was still making the loud noise, and they believed it to be coming from the VVT Actuator. I then decided to drop by and see for myself,
      • The service manager showed me the noise was still present
      • Then disconnected the VVT oil pump?? The noise was gone.

• He has asked me to re-flash to the Tune it was originally on. Started the car and the noise was gone. I then flashed it back to stock and the noise again was also gone.
    • Then advised that they will make sure the car is 100% back together and pick it up tomorrow. ( all I could see that had to be done was the cover plate for the TMIC to be reattached)

Question is: It was mentioned that the services manager is aware of all the time spent on the car. Service rep said he will take care of me and try and get the costs waived. Opinion??
    Last edited by Furion; 28-06-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Go for it under warranty, pay nothing!

As far as your wish list have a good look in the other threads as its all covered in pretty good detail

Which model/year MPS?
    How many Ks?
    Who did you buy it from?
    who did you take it to for service?
    Was the noise present before the service?
    Did you mention the actuator noise when you booked it in?
    Is your warranty valid with the mods you have?

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post
    Which model/year MPS?
    How many Ks?
    Who did you buy it from?
    who did you take it to for service?
    Was the noise present before the service?
    Did you mention the actuator noise when you booked it in?
    Is your warranty valid with the mods you have?

Pete.

To Further Clarify
    I bought the car new, its a 2007 MPS 3
    I have 150,000kms
    I took it to Mazda always have
    No the noise was not present before service.
    However the actuator was faulty sounds like a diesiel on start up :P
    Car well out of warranty, I have alraedy paid for the works. the night I was suposed to pick it up.

MPS2NV, sorry no pictures the car was all closed up when I got there.

UPDATE: The noise is still present. Changing my Tune did not resolve the noise after all
    Whilst driving the car makes a ticking noise whilst bairly under any load.... >.< very frustrating.

While the noise is present it feels as if the car is pulling timing to save itself ><

any ideas?

UPDATE: The car is DEAD, Full Mech Failure This morning.

However in the below picture you can see the oil cap, just below this there is a black plug, apparently this controls the oil supplied to the VVT, unplugging this removes the noise all together. has anyone got any ideas what this part does??? of the the services department could have stuffed something up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPS.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	11444
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPS.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	11443  

Oil control valve, it controls the oil to the VVT to control the valve timing.

UPDATE: The Service shop got the timing wrong, Engine to be fixed my them.

* New head as the old ones was completely cracked
    * Cylinder 1 piston to be replaced
    * All bores to be re-honed with new piston rings placed on the undamamged pistons

I have asked if the engine needs to be balanced, they are awaiting mazda australias reponse.

Currently waiting on one part the head gasket from Japan

Sounds like it might be time for a new mechanic, timing wrong is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Sounds like it might be time for a new mechanic, timing wrong is a big deal.

Lol where do you go, when it was mazda that I went to....

Quote Originally Posted by Furion View Post
    Holden.

.... -_-'

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

You better not get your head gasket before me! lol

ME hahaha i have the tools and the know how just check my how to on timing your car
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    You better not get your head gasket before me! lol

Head gasket received Monday 23rd

.... I bet they're kicking themselves at the moment. That's thousands worth of work and parts. Bloody hell

UPDATE: The Service shop got the timing wrong, Engine to be fixed my them.

* New head as the old ones was completely cracked
    * Cylinder 1 piston to be replaced
    * All bores to be re-honed with new piston rings placed on the undamamged pistons

I have asked if the engine needs to be balanced, they are awaiting mazda australias reponse.

Currently waiting on one part the head gasket from Japan
    i'll say it now get the crank and cams (if they're re using them) checked by a professional for twist and micro fracture's, if its cracked the piston then is probably slightly bent the rod to i'd ask for all new pistons & rings a new rod on cyl no.1 esp if it was bad enough to crack the head as our heads are pretty damn thick cause of the DI, and get it balanced just to make sure everything is in harmonic balance as you dont want a complete lemon of a motor that will just never be right
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    i'll say it now get the crank and cams (if they're re using them) checked by a professional for twist and micro fracture's, if its cracked the piston then is probably slightly bent the rod to i'd ask for all new pistons & rings a new rod on cyl no.1 esp if it was bad enough to crack the head as our heads are pretty damn thick cause of the DI, and get it balanced just to make sure everything is in harmonic balance as you dont want a complete lemon of a motor that will just never be right
    They have replaced the head completely, inclusive of Cams valves etc...
    Cylinder 1 piston replaced, all cylinders will be re-honed with all exisiting pistons getting thier pistong rings replaced.

I did inspect the piston from cylinder 1, not cracked but basically a hole straight through it, with lots of Chips out of it where the valves have hit it.

I did raise the issues on the bottom end and asked if it has to be balanced etc, they then contacted mazda australia and were advised the bottom end would be fine as is. I even called 1 engine rebuidler and he advised it would be fine....

I still am rather concerned that it may not be the same or in balance, and I probably wont know for some time as I will need to run the engine in. So I can only wait and see ...... I will be requesting a full details on works carried out....

Hey all just to keep you posted.
    Been to Mazda today the car is back together bar new sparkplugs and IC to be placed on top. Not long now

I am rather nervous and anticipating when I get the car back. Either it will be like new.... or a lemon.

Below you can see my memrobilia .. ( Paper weight ??)

Below you can see the piston head full of marks and a hole, all caused by the valves

Name:	P7270001.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	11766

Below you can see where it has punched through

Name:	P7270002.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	11767

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast