User Tag List

Thread: Turbo timers, which to get.

Default Turbo timers, which to get.

Hey all,

Just wondering if there is a "number one brand" of turbo timer for mps3 or will any old one do. Plus installs, hard or easy.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

have you got an after market alarm ?

You will generally find that turbo timers are illegal in most states, also they are unnecessary on modern turbocharged cars, they were useful in the 80's to prevent oil coking, however both turbocharger design and engine oils have come a long way in the last 30 years.

Modern turbochargers feature cooling from both the oil and coolant lines, they are also designed to promote convection to maintain oil flow even after the engine is turned off. At most you only need to run the engine for a few minutes after giving it a good strap, i.e around a track, if your driving hard on the street, just go for a slow drive around the block, the airflow from moving will do a much better job of cooling than sitting idling anyway.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Oh cool, just saved me money lol

I had one given to me but never fitted it. A waste of time and money and just some bit of kit to go wrong. Matt is right on all counts. By the time you have been around the block or made it back home after a fast run, the whole thing has cooled anyway. Just don't pull off the freeway or a steep hard climb after flogging it and then shut it down immediately. Use your scone on this one. Plus you need an alarm. Car thieves love cars with turbo timers as their targets are all running and ready to go, no hot wiring required! Anyway, I'd never walk away from my car and leave it running. It also means that you have to leave your car out of gear and you may be parked on a hill, relying solely on the handbrake or wheels turned in to the kerb. Some folks, usually young tinkerers, also like them as they advertize "My car has a turbo and a smart bit of kit to look after it" - but it's all ego and show, in the main. My two bob's worth, anyway.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Yea I agree, a lot of this was me wanting to make sure I don't break my car.

I got given a apexi turbo timer (i'm thinking it is a fake one as instruction was poorly ) but it still works but when you turn off the engine the car does have a moment of fuel cut and then it comes back on. I don't know if this happens to all turbo timers but just a warning don't buy those ebay apexi turbo timers. And also the AFR function doesn't work on our cars unless you install a separate filter wide band sensor.