User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Let's talk clutches

Unsure... depends what they mean by "lift issue"

My issue is clutch slippage... feed it a little it in 5th or 6th at 100 and the revs flare up as soon as it comes on boost... can get it to do it a bit in 3rd, but have to mash the pedal

Might email this guy you have been talkin to...

Sigh,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    Well, mine is coming out on Monday for a looke-see...

If no installation faults are evident, off to Exedy for appraisal to see if they will cover it under warranty, even though it is just on one month out...

Sadly my old mechanic closes up shop at the end of the week, so he has put me onto some new guys... These guys also have a dyno and do dyno tuning, but no Mazda experience.

Will see how they go.

If Exedy cannot (or will not) supply a replacement, what are my best options?

Cheers,

Chris.
    No experence i have got a black car they can practice on :P. Im sure they will learn lots from it lol
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Unsure... depends what they mean by "lift issue"

My issue is clutch slippage... feed it a little it in 5th or 6th at 100 and the revs flare up as soon as it comes on boost... can get it to do it a bit in 3rd, but have to mash the pedal

Might email this guy you have been talkin to...

Sigh,

Chris.
    Keep in touch mate
    Would like to hear how it works out

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Looking at buying the ACT clutch kit, 6 pad spring disc w/street lite flywheel. Has anyone got one of these?? Any suggestions?? Pro's??? cons????

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Also with the clutch kits from edge a.s. has anyone had any problems with fitment to the mps3?? Just wondering if the difference in LH to RH drive has made any difference???

spec stage 3+ is the go good unit just as good if not better then the exedy kits

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Looking at buying the ACT clutch kit, 6 pad spring disc w/street lite flywheel. Has anyone got one of these?? Any suggestions?? Pro's??? cons????

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Also with the clutch kits from edge a.s. has anyone had any problems with fitment to the mps3?? Just wondering if the difference in LH to RH drive has made any difference???
    no difference as the motor and box are exactly the same, it was only the 6's that had this problem at the start but its all fix now i think
    Puck style clutch's are hard to drive around the street due to their rough engagement, and if you slip them to much you will overheat it and it will start to disintegrate go for a disc type on the street spec unit ^^^
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Clutch Masters do a kit, I'd certainly opt for them over SPEC

yes they do but their stage 3 kit doesn't hold half the torque over the spec unit, the spec stage 3+ has the biggest holding power of any disc type that i have seen for our cars, if you needed bigger then this then i would suggest a custom fiber twin plate from clutchmaster's $2500 and it will take them two weeks to make

So looking at the Edgeautosport website again, so many options
    Was looking at the Spec Stage 3+

if you are looking at changing out the Dual Mass Flywheel, you should pick the Self-Ratchting version?
    Any benefits at keeping/changing the Dual Mass Flywheel?

You must go the self-ratcheting version if you want to keep the stock flywheel.

If you want to change flywheel then you can go either.

Dual-mass flywheel = less vibes, cannot be machined, expensive to replace ($1600), heavy

Single-mass flywheel = some extra vibes at low RPM (only under load), can be machined, cheap to replace.

Cheers,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    So looking at the Edgeautosport website again, so many options
    Was looking at the Spec Stage 3+

if you are looking at changing out the Dual Mass Flywheel, you should pick the Self-Ratchting version?
    Any benefits at keeping/changing the Dual Mass Flywheel?
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

You must go the self-ratcheting version if you want to keep the stock flywheel.

If you want to change flywheel then you can go either.

Dual-mass flywheel = less vibes, cannot be machined, expensive to replace ($1600), heavy

Single-mass flywheel = some extra vibes at low RPM (only under load), can be machined, cheap to replace.

Cheers,

Chris.
    Ok... so New Flywheel it is
    Now just to decide between Stage 3 and Stage 3+

Reading the descriptions, i probably don't want to go to a Stage 4 for a daily driver
    Am a bit concern with the Puck Style, but is this the same as a button clutch from Exedy?

Currently RaydTuned

Ok... so New Flywheel it is
    Now just to decide between Stage 3 and Stage 3+

Reading the descriptions, i probably don't want to go to a Stage 4 for a daily driver
    Am a bit concern with the Puck Style, but is this the same as a button clutch from Exedy?
    Yes, I think button=puck... Methinks 3+ is what I would (will?) be going for in this range.

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Yes, I think button=puck... Methinks 3+ is what I would (will?) be going for in this range.

Chris.
    And Flywheel, im guessing the non-ratcheting version woudl be suited with the Spec Flywheel. If you wanted the Fidezza version, the ratcheting version would be required?

I'm still not convinced about Buying from the US and then find a workshop that is willing to install products that they haven't purchasded themselves at a resonable cost, but i'm willing to reasearch it

Currently RaydTuned

stage 3+ is easier to drive then the stage 3 and has more holding power, i have the stage 3 and unless you've got AWD the way that you have launch it in a 3 you would see smoke at your tyre's almost every take off as its a ceramic puck style twin plate and just a pain in the ass to get smooth im upgrading to the stage 3+ for drivablity

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

And Flywheel, im guessing the non-ratcheting version woudl be suited with the Spec Flywheel. If you wanted the Fidezza version, the ratcheting version would be required?

I'm still not convinced about Buying from the US and then find a workshop that is willing to install products that they haven't purchasded themselves at a resonable cost, but i'm willing to reasearch it
    no only on stock flywheels will you need self ratcheting, the fidannza is a lightweight unit so non ratcheting, im running one they are a good unit its put up with a lot of punishment same with the clutch
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    stage 3+ is easier to drive then the stage 3 and has more holding power, i have the stage 3 and unless you've got AWD the way that you have launch it in a 3 you would see smoke at your tyre's almost every take off as its a ceramic puck style twin plate and just a pain in the ass to get smooth im upgrading to the stage 3+ for drivablity

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

no only on stock flywheels will you need self ratcheting, the fidannza is a lightweight unit so non ratcheting
    Thanks Ax

Still concerned.... but we'll see how we go

Currently RaydTuned

Hmmm... If you guys are looking at getting clutches next week... I smell a group buy coming on...

I still need to see what Exedy have to say though... Not even sure if I can use my Exedy flywheel with the SPEC clutch...

Chris.

Hmmm... If you guys are looking at getting clutches next week... I smell a group buy coming on...

I still need to see what Exedy have to say though... Not even sure if I can use my Exedy flywheel with the SPEC clutch...

Chris.
    Would love to be involve but I still have plenty of meat on mine.

60k still going strong

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

if you own a 6 and after upgrading the clutch and just cant seem to get it to engage properly/smoothly, it due to engine rock mainly because of the drivers side mount as it allows the motor to act like a bobble head, << this was pissing me off completely when i did mine The best solution is a AWR engine mount kit it took all the awkwardness out of the engagement and power to the ground faster

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345