User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GB - IPOD or MP3/USB Link

OK, so I never heard back from Axxess - and having dealt with Darkstar motors recently (another story) I'm not going to be chasing them.

The test units arrived today. Testing underway

Thanks EQ

I have received the testing unit from you to try out <non bluetooth>

I will give my feedback very soon...once i get it installed.

You say 10 minutes....we will see.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

This is the unit on my desk. Schmiko box, the unit, instructions, 2 harnesses (one to the ipod/hpone and one to the stereo) AND with the bluetooth ones A MICROPHONE which can be mounted anywhere giving TOTALS HANDS FREE!

We will have reviews on all 3 units soon. But all have exactly the same appearance and are no bigger than a nokia mobile, say 6310 etc etc.

Jim
    Last edited by EQ; 07-05-2009 at 08:53 PM.

USB Unit write up.

Installation was easy, once the headunit is out it just plugged into the CD Changer port, I ran the Cables and then used sticky backed Velcro to attach the unit to the back of my glove box.

I pre-loaded a SD card with 5 albums and named the folders CD02 CD03 CD04 CD05 CD06 (CD01 plays the entire SD card in one file). Once powered up the unit switched from "CD" to "CD" with about a 1 second delay, it cued up the first track on each "CD" after about an other second. The sound quality was excellent, literally CD quality. No complaints. Head unit random, +/- Disk and +/- track buttons functioned as did the steering wheel buttons.

Pressing the "repeat" button triggers the toggle between SD and Aux mode on the DMC unit.

I plugged a 3.5m stereo lead into tha Aux port in the DMC unit and led it from behind the dash into the car, and to the 3.5mm on my blackberry. This allowed me to us my blackberry in handsfree mode (the BB detects handsfree mode and increases mic sensitivity, the minister for finance/war/misery and 2 clients I spoke with had no complaints over sound quality and nor did i from the car speakers). I then tested the BB media player and it was fine.

So, when listening to and SD card and your phone rings, simply hit "repeat" to switch to aux mode (in my case the BB) and answer the call. Once finished hit "repeat again" and the unit switches back to the CD/USB drive and continues where you left off.

The only thing that would make this better would be bluetooth and an external microphone - exactly what the IPOD model the armthehomeless will be testing this weekend.

Jim

Blog Entries

Well I have this unit installed and I thought I'd jot down a few of my thoughts so far...

Very easy to install!

It took me about 2 minutes to remove the head unit from my car and put the plug in the back! Those who are scared to do it...don't be...it's easy!

Sound Quality

So far, I'm very happy with the sound quality when my iPod is plugged in to the unit. I am having difficulties with the quality on my iPhone though, as I am getting earthing problems and getting static through the line. (I used to get this with the iPhone when charging and using the regular aux input, so it might be my iPhone). Because it is a full digital signal, you don't have to adjust the volume on the iPod/iPhone to maximum like you do on the aux input, which I am very happy about!

Ease of use

It's pretty easy to use. Track up and track down do as advertised, which is a great feature. Unfortunately the track time and track numbers don't correspond to the actually track time and numbers on the iPod, so don't rely on it. I do like the feature that when you turn off the car or change to the radio, it pauses playback and resumes when you turn the car back on or go to the iPod interface again. I didn't really test out the playlist function (pressing disc up/down) as I don't have any. You retain access to the iPod controls when connected.

Bluetooth

I had issues pairing my iPhone with it as it wouldn't accept the auth code. But eventually it worked. Making a call was easy enough and paused playback when I dialled. Call quality seemed to be ok. Receiving a call was another matter. Whilst playing, and a call came in, it first tried to pause playback but then resumed and wouldn't allow me to hear the call. I had to change the iPhone to regular handset to take the call. I am still testing bluetooth. I'm not sold on it just yet - but it might be worthwhile after iPhone 3.0 software comes out and you can stream to it using A2DP stereo bluetooth connection.

Positives

• Track up and down is good, however there is a short delay
    • Pausing and resuming upon vehicle off or stereo input change
    • Digital quality on iPod
    • Call quality on bluetooth was satisfactory thanks to ext mic.
    • Easy to install

Negatives
    • Track time and numbers aren't accurate, mostly wrong
    • Bluetooth was hard to pair
    • Bluetooth wouldn't allow me to answer a call
    • Cumbersome cabling.
    • 'Not Official Apple Accessory' warning on iPhone is annoying
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Thanks Rowan. I haver now rectified all the issues you had except the inaccuracy of the timer. Our conversation this pm was clear from my end.

**********************The Iphone must be paierd by bluetooth to enable phone calls to be made without static*************as it says in the instructions that neither of you read

I'm looking forward to hearing from Duglet how the non-bluetooth unit is performing.

I can say that the USB version is working extremely well both for music and my phone via the 3.5mm aux port.
    Last edited by EQ; 23-05-2009 at 07:00 PM.

I have just ordered 15 of IPOD Bluetooth units and 5 of the USB Units.

8. Default

Did the USB test by Doug go ok then

I did the USB test - it rocks.
    Arm and I got the Bluetooth Ipod sussed and its cool.
    I just re-wrote the first post!

10. Default

ok cool, maybe I can pick it up from Byron and someone nice could install it for me

Oh BTW how do I become committed ?
    Last edited by blackbetty; 11-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.

PM me whiuch you one want

Well I have the Non Bluetooth unit installed ( armthehomeless) and here is what i have noticed with both iPhone and iPod.

Very easy to install!

It took armthehomeless about 2 minutes to remove the head unit from my car (scary) and put the plug in the back! I was very scared, but it seamed rather easy.

Sound Quality

Sound is so much better than my MP3 through the cd changer. I have a few problems with the charging static noise, but i used to get that from the cigerette charger for my iPhone while using the 3.5mm Aux. Didnt happen with iPod. If you go into Airplane mode, no static. Because it is a full digital signal, you don't have to adjust the volume on the iPod/iPhone to maximum like you do on the aux input, which I am very happy about!

Ease of use
    Well even I could work it out and use it...so it is easy. Track up and track down works like a dream on both iPhone and iPod. Track times and track numbers don't correspond to the actually track time and numbers on the iPod or iPhone, which doesnt really matter when its in the glovebox. I love how its starts where it left off when you turn the car or stereo off and on again. You can change to radio or CD no problems and change back at anytime to resume playback. Playlist function (pressing disc up/down) works great on the iPod, not so well on the iPhone (need to make the playlists and it doesnt always stay there). You still use all the apps and functions on the Iphone while it is playing.(same when iPod is connected)

Positives

• Track up and down is great
    • Pausing and resuming upon vehicle off or stereo input change
    • Digital quality on iPod and iPhone
    • Music dims outs when a call is coming through on iPhone.
    • Easy to install

Negatives
    • Track time and numbers aren't accurate, 99% wrong
    • Switches off headunit on both iPod and iPhone after 2 sec in a song (sometimes)*
    • 'Not Official Apple iPhone Accessory' warning on iPhone is annoying (Airplane Mode)

* - this could be the actual unit as it happened on both iPhone and iPod.

Awesome product....so getting it.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Nice write up Duglet - and thanks.

I think the Iphone casues static when plugged into the interface - it seems to be happening on both units, I imagine its due to the evil microwaves the phone gives out. **********************The Iphone must be paierd by bluetooth to enable phone calls to be made without static*************as it says in the instructions that neither of you read

SO, to sum up, as an ipod controller they work well (the turning off issue may be that one unit - my contact never heard of it before). HOWEVER, supporting an Iphone plugged into the interface and being used as both an "ipod" and a "phone" causes static. USE BLUETOOTH

Using and IPOD in the interface and a Iphone via Bluetooth works a treat (Armthehomeless will update his review following some trouble shooting).

So, I've ordered a bunch of IPOD + Bluetooth units and a smaller bunch of USB units. Will be here hopefully on monday.

Time for payments...
    Last edited by EQ; 23-05-2009 at 06:59 PM.

On this forum I'm only waiting on SydenySteve - I can hold your unit for a week.

I have now sold out of the IPOD Bluetooth units (I'm holding for Duglet and SydneySteve).

I have one ex-test IPOD Unit WITHOUT Bluetooth.

I have 2 SD/USB units here in Brisbane, and can get more easilly.

The next IPOD with bluetooth are about 4 weeks away. I'll start another GB once this one is closed.

Mine is in the car.

Had it installed by an expert (much appreciated Jim).

Fantastic bit of kit. I put some music on the supplied SD card, sounds as good as CD.

Everyone should have one of these.......

16. Default

Oh no The instructions are talking about setting your dip switches, I dont know what they are talking about Do you have to disconnect the battery or just have the car turned off how much of a girl am I

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

BTW arrived all safely today, cant wait to install it THANKS ... any tips removing the glove box on the 6
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

OK. No battery disconnet. best to have car off.
    Dip switches are on the back of the ipod unit - up, down, up, up from memory (you'll see what i mean) - check guide

Glove boxout: open glove box, squeeze in top corners firmly, it will release (drop) on left hand side, undo "dampner". Drop glovebox, pick up, curse jim and repack contents. place on rear seat! .

look at the white plugy thingy thats going to go into your stereo. stick your hand in behind the stereo and feel around you are looking for the "right hand plug" on the picture below - reference only. DONT TAKE THE STEREO OUT - major pain in the ass.

The plug plugs in with the release clip thing facing down. be patient. you'll be ok, i bet you have smaller hands than me. (knuckles drag too.)

PM me if you have any dramas!

18. Default

OK all installed ... easy peasy and took some pics too which I will post up. I have never had an ipod before so went out and got myself an 8gb black one especially for the car mmmmm black . Do I have to store the songs in any order to maximise what the car stereo can pick up, like playlists or something (which by the way I have no idea what a playlist is ).

Woohoo nearly there and getting excited
    Last edited by blackbetty; 23-05-2009 at 03:27 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I bought a black 8gb Nano today too. Nice work BB - I'll post more later re playlists. but you dont need them.

20. Default

Also did anyone else get screws to hold the cable from the cars cd player into the back of the charmaker unit ?

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

EQ $188 from JB's

If you could post up later about whats the best way to store the music on the ipod and what controls on the cars stereo does what that would be great

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast