User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GB - IPOD or MP3/USB Link

HUGE UPDATE:

I have found another unit with built in bluetooth for your IPODS for the same price....more details to follow, but this seems better and the vendor seems more eager!

IPOD auxiliary input ( ipod adapter ) delivers CD-quality sound directly into the factory sound system via the CD changer port, without the loss of sound quality that occurs with existing cassette and FM transmitter solutions. Auxiliary devices such as MP3 players, Potable DVD players, MiniDisk Player, handheld gaming systems, notebook computers and IPHONE can be added to the OEM radio while delivering optimum sound quality.

Features
    BLUETOOTH
    Retains digital sound quality
    Extends external audio sources
    Eliminates the use of noisy FM modulators
    Keeps IPOD/IPHONE charged and ready to go
    Easy to install and use
    Last edited by EQ; 22-04-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Looking at closing this soon guys - I need final confirmation from Duglet and BB.

And we need a decision on whether we're going for tried and tested Audiolink/Xlink or the Charmaker BLUETOOTH version. Same cost.

Im in....just deciding which one i want.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

The bluetooth one would be a better bet as I can then get both items from the same supplier. That would be my preference. There is a charmaker non-bluetooth one for $10US less!

Bear in mind that the bluetooth one still uses the phone's microphone, "most" new phones automatically enhance the microphone quality when they detect its being used in a call.

5. Default

Im definately getting the Ipod one, sorry thought u were deciding whether to get this one or the new blue tooth one u found

still kind of decieding...thanks BB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post
    Bear in mind that the bluetooth one still uses the phone's microphone, "most" new phones automatically enhance the microphone quality when they detect its being used in a call.
    If that's the case, I'd prefer the tried and true Audiolink. In my experience no bluetooth setup works like it should...and if this doesn't have an external mic...there's no way it will be any good.

Just my 2 cents
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

I agree re the Bluetooth thing.

I spoke with the supplier at lenght last night re firmware and updates and she suggested waiting until June for the new bluetooth firmware to come out. That said, without a microphone its probably not worth it. Sooo....Bluetooth withdrawn.

The Audiolink units are a bit more expensive than the others. If the pricing was sharper on the non-bluetooth charmaker, would that help people?

Blog Entries

I'd prefer the tried and true route....what do you guys think?

Personally I think it will be similar technology.

If we're not in a rush I can get a demo unit?

Blog Entries

My questions would be:

1. Does this model support track names displayed on head unit?
    2. Allow you to use more than 5 playlists (limited to 99 songs)?

If there's any improvement there over the Audiolink ones, I'd be keen

12. Default

yeh get a demo unit, id like the track names displayed on head unit too if the other one does it .... u check it out EQ

OK, I've ordered one of each. I'll test the USB one and would Armthehomless and Duglet be happy to test the ipod units please? I'll pay for them for now, if you like them, then pay me.

I can tell you 100% that nothing will support more than 5 playlists - and thats because the headunits dont. When you push "next disc" the headunit actually sends the message "disc 2" then "disc 3" etc etc etc until after disc 6 it just starts again with the next button being "disc 2" There is no command for disc 1. Hence only allowing 5 playlists!

I know this as i have had a car pc with the car to pc interface and I spent many hours attempting to get cenrafuse (front end software) to support multiple playlists. I had a datalog (textfile) of the commands sent when each button on the headunit was pushed and that is what I found out!

LCD support...hmmm dint know.
    Last edited by EQ; 24-04-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EQ View Post
    OK, I've ordered one of each. I'll test the USB one and would Armthehomless and Duglet be happy to test the ipod units please? I'll pay for them for now, if you like them, then pay me.

I can tell you 100% that nothing will support more than 5 playlists - and thats because the headunits dont. When you push "next disc" the headunit actually sends the message "disc 2" then "disc 3" etc etc etc until after disc 6 it just starts again with the next button being "disc 2" There is no command for disc 1. Hence only allowing 5 playlists!

I know this as i have had a car pc with the car to pc interface and I spent many hours attempting to get cenrafuse (front end software) to support multiple playlists. I had a datalog (textfile) of the commands sent when each button on the headunit was pushed and that is what I found out!

LCD support...hmmm dint know.
    Sounds good.

I'd be happy to test it out.

Let me know what I need to do
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Thanks EQ

Your doing a great job...and your efforts will pay off.

Arm or myself would be happy to test it out.

I hope it is awesome...i really want one.

If not...I will purchase the other...bluetooth isnt a big deal

Happy Motoring
    duglet

They are on their way.

I dont believe that the LCD is supported, however once we test them we'll find out for sure. Is this a deal breaker?

Blog Entries

Not a deal breaker...its just I saw on a US forum somewhere that there was one model that did it.

To clear up the LCD screen thing, NONE of the units Audiolink, Charmaker or USB on will display track titles. You will get track number and an accurate timer for each track.

If there's on out there that supports it, I'll find it. But it may be $$$$+++++

Blog Entries

I found the thread on another forum that talks about another unit with LCD display...but I bet it's expensive:

AXXESS IPOD Adapter with TEXT Display on Factory Radio

OK, I'm talking to Axxess, however is seems their unit isnt compatible the clarion built headunits - ie the non-bose ones.

Reading the forum above it seems that the crowd there moved away from this unit. I'll await a response.

**3 days and no response. I had an "email read confirmation"...not impressed so far.
    Last edited by EQ; 01-05-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast