User Tag List

Thread: Speedo Rattle in 2011 Gen 2 MPS

Default Speedo Rattle in 2011 Gen 2 MPS

Hi all, the last 3 months or so, there is a rattle coming from where the speedo is that is mostly noticeable first thing in the morning or in the evenings (ie, when it's cooler), and mostly when driving on rough roads.

If you push/hold the whole frame around the speedo/tacho it has a bit of give, but pushing it in one direction will stop the rattle.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before? Not sure if there's something I can fix, but i might mention it at my next service (due soon)

Yes i have this, its the cover. Best way to stop things like this is dynamat or any type of sound deadning place in on the back side of the trim. What it does is make the trim a bit more heavier but most important it takes the resonating frequency out of the trim.

I have the same rattle as well. Not found a solution but not really tried either

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Not much help, but,
    these cars friggen suck for rattles!
    keep in mind the base models of these cars is a mazda 3 that is around $20,000. and as far as the way the car is put together and interior trims, its the same car.
    Its my pet hate about the car.

i had a rattle coming from front area in my Rx8, it turned out to be a 'clock spring' within the rolled up airbag within the steering wheel cover! Rough roads revealed the noise, but quite otherwise. Took mazda about 4 turns on my car to identify it.

volume + 10 worked for me lol, wait till you get a rmm (and what ever you do dont try to get it fixed on warranty unless you want another rattle haha)
    Last edited by MPSNoob; 14-06-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    i had a rattle coming from front area in my Rx8, it turned out to be a 'clock spring' within the rolled up airbag within the steering wheel cover! Rough roads revealed the noise, but quite otherwise. Took mazda about 4 turns on my car to identify it.
    Wow! Which Mazda worker did you piss off Brettski? I'm surprised it ONLY took them 4 turns to find that!
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Wow, "good" to hear others are having the same problem... I've actually had one noise fixed under warranty already, the right hand rear suspension was making an unusual noise - I took it in, the tech guy came for a drive with me and had a listen, and he picked it straight away, a bolt in the sway bar was lose or something. When they took it apart to look at, the bolt was stripped, so they replaced it and no noise since.

For my speedo rattle, I've thought about wedging something in between the dash and the Speedo Hood/Cover, so I might see if that helps... it's not irritating, just subtly annoying