User Tag List

Thread: Decarbing Engine/ Tuning / Quote

1. Default Decarbing Engine/ Tuning / Quote

Hi John,
    I'm fairly noob. I'm looking at tuning but was going to start out with "Abilon Guide" off mazdaspeed forums. Any thoughts on that? I'm going to need internals and some one step? spark plugs (please quote for Torrensville S.A. 5031). And also I'm also wanting to clean my intake valves and noticed you sell kits but figured it may cost a lot to send these cleaning kits over the pond. Is that the case? I've already ordered a catch can and EGR delete kit.
    Thanks Len.
    Last edited by newmaz; 13-06-2012 at 12:37 AM.

2. Default

John.
    I've been doing more reading and am probably gonna be ok for the cleaning kit. I'm still keen on a quote for internals and an IM gasket. I also have seen others selling throttle body gasket / coolant bypass to stop heat transfer. Is that also a worthwhile cheap mod?

Oh btw I had a look at the 640whp beast on YouTube. All I can say is EPIC.

Len
    Last edited by newmaz; 15-06-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Who's john?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I may be out of line here but this seems like a good place to post these thoughts.

I reckon anyone thinking of decarbing an almost new engine at less that 150,000km (which almost all of these cars are) has either too much money or too much time on his hands.

Give 'em clean oil, clean fuel and drive 'em right and they'll run that sort of distance easily with no issues whatsoever. You could drive one of these cars new out of the showroom and around Australia twice virtually non-stop except for oil changes and not put a spanner near them.

On this note (and please don't take this the wrong way, and I don't mean to dissuade genuine improvements) but in my view the biggest killer of most cars is over-tinkering by well-meaning but often inexpert enthusiasts who convince themselves there is a problem or that something needs "improving" but then make a pig's breakfast of it by over-solving the problem.

This unfortunately has a compounding effect as the cars age and they get passed from second to third hand and so on, as later owners are either fixing problems that their predecessors created or are themselves increasingly inexpert tinkerers, as dicated by the nexus between reducing age bracket and the increasing affordability of the cars as they age to the younger set who by definition are less experienced in 90% of cases. The limit to this process fortunately is the driving age of around 17 but there can be a lot of misplaced enthusiasm or even crass stupidity between the ages of 17 and 25-30.

This latter affordability "advantage" is further "enhanced" by the fact that the majority of the cars that have suffered at the hands of the tinkerers actually devalue faster than normal, but that advantage is lost against the added cost of fixing the mistakes and dodgy workmanship.

Food for thought, I hope.

I was reminded of this the other day when I saw an ancient Fiat 500 'Bambina' here with a huge wing that towered above the roof of the car. I was sorry that I did not have my camera.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 16-06-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I may be out of line here but this seems like a good place to post these thoughts.

I reckon anyone thinking of decarbing an almost new engine at less that 150,000km (which almost all of these cars are) has either too much money or too much time on his hands.

Give 'em clean oil, clean fuel and drive 'em right and they'll run that sort of distance easily with no issues whatsoever. You could drive one of these cars new out of the showroom and around Australia twice virtually non-stop except for oil changes and not put a spanner near them.

On this note (and please don't take this the wrong way, and I don't mean to dissuade genuine improvements) but in my view the biggest killer of most cars is over-tinkering by well-meaning but often inexpert enthusiasts who convince themselves there is a problem or that something needs "improving" but then make a pig's breakfast of it by over-solving the problem.

This unfortunately has a compounding effect as the cars age and they get passed from second to third hand and so on, as later owners are either fixing problems that their predecessors created or are themselves increasingly inexpert tinkerers, as dicated by the nexus between reducing age bracket and the increasing affordability of the cars as they age to the younger set who by definition are less experienced in 90% of cases. The limit to this process fortunately is the driving age of around 17 but there can be a lot of misplaced enthusiasm or even crass stupidity between the ages of 17 and 25-30.

This latter affordability "advantage" is further "enhanced" by the fact that the majority of the cars that have suffered at the hands of the tinkerers actually devalue faster than normal, but that advantage is lost against the added cost of fixing the mistakes and dodgy workmanship.

I was reminded of this the other day when I saw an ancient Fiat 500 'Bambina' here with a huge wing that towered above the roof of the car. I was sorry that I did not have my camera.
    Thanks for your input Doug.
    At this stage I'm going to look at the valves as they are a known problem not just our DISI engines but other makes with direct injection including AUDI and BMWs. I've done plenty of reading over on Mazdaspeed forums and know that it'll be worth a look. There is a good number of tutorials with plenty of pics and details and guys are getting great results removing the carbon deposits. At that point I'll be adding my catch can and EGR delete and IM gasket. I have friends with mechanical knowledge also but this job looks on the easier side to me if I'm careful and take my time. I also have another car to use while I tinker with the beast.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by newmaz View Post
    Hi John,
    I'm fairly noob. I'm looking at tuning but was going to start out with "Abilon Guide" off mazdaspeed forums. Any thoughts on that? I'm going to need internals and some one step? spark plugs (please quote for Torrensville S.A. 5031). And also I'm also wanting to clean my intake valves and noticed you sell kits but figured it may cost a lot to send these cleaning kits over the pond. Is that the case? I've already ordered a catch can and EGR delete kit.
    Thanks Len.
    The Abilon Guide is a good start but it only addresses the basics. When you have been on the dyno as much as I have with different set ups you start to learn what does and doeasn't make power. Its not fuel and timing with GDI cars, there is a fuel pressure issue that needs to be addressed. Please PM me with your parts questions or parts quotes. The catch can and EGR delete are a good start for your car, the cleaning kit cannot be shipped overseas, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by newmaz View Post
    John.
    I've been doing more reading and am probably gonna be ok for the cleaning kit. I'm still keen on a quote for internals and an IM gasket. I also have seen others selling throttle body gasket / coolant bypass to stop heat transfer. Is that also a worthwhile cheap mod?

Oh btw I had a look at the 640whp beast on YouTube. All I can say is EPIC.

Len
    Shoot me a PM for the best pricing on the parts you need. Our IM gasket comes with the directions for the coolant bypass and there is not need for the t-body gasket.

Thanks... the shop car is a monster and just tonight it ran at the track with the low HP tune and trapped 120 + MPH on street tires... . The thing is a freaking monster.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Who's john?

That would be me.

Thanks,

John

You are correct and we spent countless hours fixing the "flaws" that Mazda left in the car. There is no cleaning effect on the valves, yes the oil vapors from the PCV system and hot exhaust gasses from the EGR system make for a nasty mess on the tops of the intake valves. A de-carbon cleaning should be done every 20 to 40k miles. I have pictures on the shop computer that shows several different MZR engines with different miles on them and all of them have massive build up on the back sides of the intake valves.

We have addressed several of what we feel are factory flaws with the MZR engine design. Most of them deal with heat transfer, oil vapors or crank case control, vacuum or pressure issues. We didn't get to 500, 600 and 700 WHP with the shop car by luck... it was careful planning, testing and consistent product development to achieve this goal. We stand by our products and our products deliver what we claim.

There are several cheap "performance" items for the MZR engine, stick with those that have done it, and continue to advance the market.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

John

Thanks John, so who and where are you (business wise)?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Who's john?

It's posted in the HPFP vendor section and the vendors name is John

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Thanks John, so who and where are you (business wise)?
    EX ptp and in the USA

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    EX ptp and in the USA

Not ex-PTP... we are still PTP but things are changing here quick at the shop.

Should have the new websites up and running soon and the facebook account should be updated with new shop pictures this week. Expansion has taken it toll on us, but we are very close to having everything done!

Thanks,

John