User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

Default Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

Hey all, I just thought I'd like to share with you all what I did today.
    Wanting to find a way to keep the stock intercooler "cooler" & to develop more power and eliminate heat soak once and for all as it's the biggest killer on the MPS.
    In pre-testing The intercooler was so hot I couldn't touch it for longer then 1-2 seconds max and would never get back to cold after driving as heat would always
    rise up into it.

So I made up some heat shielding to stop the unwanted heat (Lots of it) rising up through the intercooler core and robbing power.

I started by cutting some 1.6mm aluminium sheeting to size to fit under the core and held in with the standard intercooler brackets.
    I also spaced it up on the bracket to have a slight air gap over the engine and another air gap to the intercooler, This is good for air flow and better cooling.

I'm happy to report that in the testing it works VERY, VERY well and I'm suprised that Mazda didn't already have some sort of heat sheilding in place to begin with as we
    all know hot air rises.

After taking the car for a "spirited drive" the car runs ALOT better now and pulls harder then before run after run after run, I then stoped and started a few times go let the heat soak well and truly set in.
    I got out and felt the intercooler core WAS COLD STILL. YAY!!!!!!!

After sitting the car for a good 30+ mins I then checked the temp of the intercooler again and it was JUST warm and could still keep my hand on it with no trouble at all.
    I took the car down the road 200m, pulled over and the intercooler was COLD AGAIN!. So not only does it prevent heat soak it take a few minutes to cool the intercooler down again like it had never been started in the morning. (And I could never get that to happen before)

Plus features of the mod:

*Cheap to do
    *Takes less then 30 minutes to fit
    *Looks stock still
    *Stops water getting into the coil packs
    *Stops heat-soak
    *Keeps the intercooler Colder for longer
    *More power
    *When it does sit for a long time ONLY gets just warm
    *Takes a few minutes to get rid of the heat soak and gets it back to pre-start temps. (COLD)

Here are the pic's.

In this pic below you can see the air gap that will cool air to still flow through the core. And the bigger gap at the bottom of the core to let water run off.
    The Aluminium Sheeting is on an sloping angle in order to do this.

Here you can see the "Spacer" I used to create an air gap from the engine using a bigger nut as a spacer.

Cover back on and looks stock

Enjoy Cheers.
    Last edited by NQMPS; 11-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

This sounds like a great idea, I look forward to the pics, how about a how to

Yeah no probs mate, I took a few pic's as I fitted it. I'll post them up tomorrow when I have a chance.
    But this is a worth while VERY effective mod that works.
    Really is simple to do.

What a fantastic self tested mod to do. 1. Big ups to you for thinking up this sort of idea and 2. making and testing it. Looking forward to the pics. I have a spare sheet of ali kicking around in the shed so very keen on checking this out. Look forward to the pics.
    Outstanding!!

Good job

Top stuff mate!
    Looking forward to the pics and the how to, I'll be doing this for sure ! I think it will work well with my SURE thermal insulating gaskets and the water/ meth injection cooling

BATs lower than ambient here I come!

Need pics, I have a feeling this is going to impede the airflow through the IC core somewhat, when the car is moving my intake temps are usually ambient + 1. I would want to watch this figure closely to confirm if this is actually worth doing.

Thanks for the cu-does guys!

Pic's are up.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Need pics, I have a feeling this is going to impede the airflow through the IC core somewhat, when the car is moving my intake temps are usually ambient + 1. I would want to watch this figure closely to confirm if this is actually worth doing.
    I know what you are saying, and it might impede air flow a little bit, But I have it set up so that there is an air gap between the enigne+Heat Shield+Intercooler for air to flow.
    In testing it keeps the intercooler cold and isn't that what the air flow is meant to do in the 1st place? (Getting rid of heat-soak)
    Not much point having a big open intercooler core if the core it-self is still hot.

It's just the same as when I had the intercooler COVERED with Dry-ice and everyone said that it's no point cause no air-flow can get through, Well if the intercooler
    is freezing (And it was) then it doesnt have any heat soak to get rid of in the 1st place when you need flow. Simular to Air/Water cores, They dont need any air flow.

Sort of going off track here but in my testing it works and the intercooler is now COLD!, Try it yourself.
    Last edited by NQMPS; 11-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Had:
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

So it's just two sheets of aluminum cut to match with nothing above or below?

I might give this a go... I hope my bonnet will close right after putting a spacer on my 3.25" ETS TMIC...

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    So it's just two sheets of aluminum cut to match with nothing above or below?

I might give this a go... I hope my bonnet will close right after putting a spacer on my 3.25" ETS TMIC...

Otherwise Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339378312.193445.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	11251

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

This sounds very interesting ! Wonder if SURE Motorsports could fabricate a once-piece sheet, with spacer nuts and sell this ? Different colours, SURE logo etc
    Last edited by naasif; 11-06-2012 at 11:44 AM.

You dont need 2 sheets I just jointed up 2 cause I didn't have a big enough sheet, Can make it outa 1.
    Been driving around all day (Inc stop/start) got home..... and felt the intercooler..... it's STILL nice and cold.

Way to think outside the box! Great idea and nice write up! Good job!

Good idea,
    Even better, cover the side of the plate that is facing the engine in DEI reflect-a-gold heat reflective tape.
    Its not cheap but a quick search will show you just how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Where are you reading intake temps from? I was under the impression the MPs took that reading from the maf, which means you aren't seeing the pressurised temps at the cooler

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    MPS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Good idea,
    Even better, cover the side of the plate that is facing the engine in DEI reflect-a-gold heat reflective tape.
    Its not cheap but a quick search will show you just how good it is.
    Hey that sounds like the go mate!
    Had:
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:

Tmic Heat Sheild - Mazdaspeed Forums

Here is the response i got!!!

Have they made it and tested it and tried it? Didn't think so.....all I can say it works and not by a little bit either.

Lets see how hot the intercooler gets without it driving around, Even on a long drive on the high-way with high consistent air-flow.
    You pull over and the core is Steaming HOT.
    Here's something for you to try:

Next time you go out for a strap see how long (Care to time it for me?) you can hold your hand on it for and get back to me and I'll do the same eh.
    Each to their own Proof's in the pudding....

Quoted from one of the post's with my responses in red

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #15181F"]"When you're not moving or moving at low speeds then yes, most probably the hot air is raising up from the engine through the TMIC. In this case you're not really interested what your BAT's are. This is what causes heat soak to begin with
    When you're moving at decent speeds the air is flowing the other way around, through the TMIC blades cooling it down, Not colder then what I get now I'll bet and will still be HOT and un-bearable to touch and even that heated up air is still cooler than the engine so it cools the engine a bit too. The Engine has a Radiator to cool it and remain at consistent temp, Doesn't have to rely on a bonnet scoop.
    Moreover, if you block the passages between the engine and TMIC where is that air supposed to go and how is the TMIC supposed to cool the air passing through it from the turbo?!" It still does pass through the intercooler core... Remember it's not 100% Sandwiched onto the core, there is a good size air gap between everything still.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    Last edited by NQMPS; 11-06-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Had:
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Where are you reading intake temps from? I was under the impression the MPs took that reading from the maf, which means you aren't seeing the pressurised temps at the cooler

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly, @Reedy . you need to look at boost air temps (BAT's) not IAT. and without a Dashhawk or a AccessPort you cant measure it i believe.
    I could be running a FMIC and it wont change the IAT but its the BAT that will be cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by NQMPS View Post
    Have they made it and tested it and tried it? Didn't think so.....all I can say it works and not by a little bit either.

Lets see how hot the intercooler gets without it driving around, Even on a long drive on the high-way with high consistent air-flow.
    You pull over and the core is Steaming HOT.
    Here's something for you to try:

Next time you go out for a strap see how long (Care to time it for me?) you can hold your hand on it for and get back to me and I'll do the same eh.
    Each to their own Proof's in the pudding....

Quoted from one of the post's with my responses in red

[TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #15181F"]"When you're not moving or moving at low speeds then yes, most probably the hot air is raising up from the engine through the TMIC. In this case you're not really interested what your BAT's are. This is what causes heat soak to begin with
    When you're moving at decent speeds the air is flowing the other way around, through the TMIC blades cooling it down, Not colder then what I get now I'll bet and will still be HOT and un-bearable to touch and even that heated up air is still cooler than the engine so it cools the engine a bit too. The Engine has a Radiator to cool it and remain at consistent temp, Doesn't have to rely on a bonnet scoop.
    Moreover, if you block the passages between the engine and TMIC where is that air supposed to go and how is the TMIC supposed to cool the air passing through it from the turbo?!" It still does pass through the intercooler core... Remember it's not 100% Sandwiched onto the core, there is a good size air gap between everything still.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    Have you got access to a dashhawk? Or is there someone close to you that can get logs done?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast