User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

dashhawk or ap can read temps..

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Link on eBay for the silvery heat wrap? Can only find the meshy/thin wrap.

Can someone actually prove this or is it a placebo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I will check BATs when I get the time to make the heatshield. I have a corksport tmic so will need to fiddle with the sheet to get some decent space under the tmic to allow airflow. then from there, provided there is an improvement, get some DEI gold sheeting to see if there's further improvements.

I was having a look at this the other day while I had things apart... do you really need the shield to cover the whoe bottom of the IC?

Could you get similar effects by just making the heat shield curve up from the rocker cover and under the "hot" end of the intercooler... this would protect the intercooler from heat rising off the turbo, without interfering with airflow to much...

Chris.

yes u can, my next add on mod to the plate was another piece which goes all the way to the firewall above the turbo. Only thing u would need to look out for is too much heat around the turbo and no where for the heat to go. Hence the proper way, and another mod im htinking of doing soon, is putting some grills in the bonnet like the evos have, to allow for all the heat to get out somewhere.

So I was thinking how to have maximum heat deflection and came across another DEI product Floor & Tunnel Shield II

I was going to use very thin aluminium so that it is pliable and conforms to the shape I want. then stick and rivet the DEI product above to the aluminium sheet. I'm trying to avoid just having a flat sheet as this would restrict the airflow under the TMIC, particularly with a thicker aftermarket TMIC as I have.

also as mentioned above, I would have a separate shield to go on top of the exhaust/turbo area to deflect as much direct heat as possible.

Good stuff lup

10. Default

Hmm, maybe I can get a spare Al plate off my old man. He's a printer and they have Al plates used in the printing process. Generally recycled after they've finished with them, I'm sure one could be handed over. They're a bit on the thin side though, who knows how well they'll do at heat dissipation. I wouldn't mind making a slight rippled piece, like a Ruffles chip. Increase surface area to absorb heat, air-flow would be comparable to a flat sheet, who knows. Experiments ahoy!

yea good to experiment when you can get things for free!

just to help understand the concept of the heat shield, its not to absorb the heat but rather deflect it or at least create a barrier. So making the sheet a ripple wouldn't be the best thing to do and also time consuming.

Default Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    yea good to experiment when you can get things for free!

just to help understand the concept of the heat shield, its not to absorb the heat but rather deflect it or at least create a barrier. So making the sheet a ripple wouldn't be the best thing to do and also time consuming.
    I just received my heat shield wrap
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

13. Default

Got my heat shield yesterday as well (thanks @PremHK for the link to the ebay seller)... will be trying this next weekend or the following

Awesome guys, cant wait to hear how it went. If yas need any help, pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by PremHK View Post
    yes u can, my next add on mod to the plate was another piece which goes all the way to the firewall above the turbo. Only thing u would need to look out for is too much heat around the turbo and no where for the heat to go. Hence the proper way, and another mod im htinking of doing soon, is putting some grills in the bonnet like the evos have, to allow for all the heat to get out somewhere.
    I wouldnt want to go right to the firewall, if you take the weather stripping off under the bonnet there is a hell of a lot of heat that escapes up through the bonnet, the plate would restrict that and I imagine, would keep alot of heat under the bonnet
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

and if you leave the weather stripping on, I'd assume that the heat gets sucked out through the bottom like it should...

On the 3, there is a huge void around the dump (with an aftermarket dump) leading out towards the bottom. the engine bay would become a high pressure zone due to all the air being directed inside. the underside of the car is a low pressure zone and thus air would flow out towards the bottom/back of the engine bay. this is why leaving the engine bay plastic pan is critical to create the high pressure zone within the engine bay. I'm basing this off logic but quite confident this is how it works.

I think the 6 has problems with airflow due to the transfer case blocking the pathway and hence taking the weather stripping off helps, to a certain degree. The windscreen would become a very high pressure zone when moving at speed, so how much air is actually venting when moving may be different to when the vehicle is stationary.

The section about Lift (downforce) on this website shows pressure zones http://www.gmecca.com/byorc/dtipsaer...#LiftDownforce

Default Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

You are more than likely correct, the real benefit on the 6 when removing the stripping is to help heat soak when sitting stationary as hot air rises, obviously a different story when moving. I've removed both the stripping at the top and bottom of the hood, dont know if it really does much at all, all I know is when sitting still I can clearly see heat coming out of the hood gap
    Last edited by dazza; 16-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    and if you leave the weather stripping on, I'd assume that the heat gets sucked out through the bottom like it should...

On the 3, there is a huge void around the dump (with an aftermarket dump) leading out towards the bottom. the engine bay would become a high pressure zone due to all the air being directed inside. the underside of the car is a low pressure zone and thus air would flow out towards the bottom/back of the engine bay. this is why leaving the engine bay plastic pan is critical to create the high pressure zone within the engine bay. I'm basing this off logic but quite confident this is how it works.

I think the 6 has problems with airflow due to the transfer case blocking the pathway and hence taking the weather stripping off helps, to a certain degree. The windscreen would become a very high pressure zone when moving at speed, so how much air is actually venting when moving may be different to when the vehicle is stationary.

The section about Lift (downforce) on this website shows pressure zones http://www.gmecca.com/byorc/dtipsaer...#LiftDownforce
    Nice Link Micheal.

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

OK I've got my plate ready, going to give it another shot with my CPE tmic, it is tight but I think I can get it to work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365158594383.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	13918  

20. Default

brilliant mod! like how you made the second gap to allow for airflow - good thinking. every top mount intercooler car should have this!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast