User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

I'd be interested in this pending price...

Not handy enough to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    How bad do you want one?
    I could do it, just depends on what the market desires.

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    Wonder if @2XS can make something like this, brand it and sell it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    How bad do you want one?
    I could do it, just depends on what the market desires.
    Just Frount mount it!
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

I'll get some plans drawn up on the weekend for people to copy down and make them.

Quote Originally Posted by NQMPS View Post
    I'll get some plans drawn up on the weekend for people to copy down and make them.
    Legendary!
    I'll give it a go and report back as well!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Where are you reading intake temps from? I was under the impression the MPs took that reading from the maf, which means you aren't seeing the pressurised temps at the cooler

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    from the Tmap sensor my friend short for temp map sensor

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    That's what I was always under the impression I was measuring with my OBD scanner and REV on my iPhone..... I need to look into this further. It doesn't have a BAT option, Intake temp is the only one and since it says 50+ degrees when my intercooler is heatsoaked to shit I always assumed that was the correct measurement. Given how slowly it comes down once my car starts moving tells me it's intake manifold temp, not simply the air temp in my engine bay. Either that or my Cold Air Intake isn't doing jack shit.
    100% right there mate as the intake temp sensor is attached to the map as i said ^^^ i read it with torque on my sony tablet
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Ok here is the overall size, you may have to place it over the engine in position to get the exact place to drill the mounting holes to line up.
    But it gives you an idea of sizing.
    Remember to use a slightly bigger nut as a spacer at the back mounting stud.
    I used 1.6mm Aluminium sheet in powder coated black (Can use any colour) so you dont see any parts of it.
    It's just a rough size I came up with, you might be able to spend a bit more time on it.

Next will be a Intercooler water spray system from a left over EVO reservoir/pump I have.
    Last edited by NQMPS; 02-07-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

is the nut just to space it so the shield doesn't bend and block the cooler on the right side?

Yeah and also to allow a space between the shield and intercooler and to give the coil packs more room and to make water run down towards the front.

Im keen to try this with my CPe TMIC.. Im about +10c over ambient on my BATs with TIGs and coolant bypass, this can only help!
    Might give this a shot and report back with logs.
    Was there any report if it blocks airflow?
    Last edited by dazza; 02-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Im keen to try this with my CPe TMIC.. Im about +10c over ambient on my BATs with TIGs and coolant bypass, this can only help!
    Might give this a shot and report back with logs.
    Was there any report if it blocks airflow?
    Not sure what you mean "if it blocks airflow?" It looks to have enough room as per the spacer for the air to push through the cooler and dissipate over the Ali plate. If peeps were realy concerned about this, they could taper/bend the Ali plate upwards towards the cooler in the centre to encourage airflow either side of the bend when air is forced through while driving. The plugs under-neither shouldnt be an issue as ive seen many alloy rocker covers trapping hot air near the plug. My XR6T had plugs deep in the head, so it wasnt like they were needed any air cooling, and those engine bays ran realy hot!

Is this side pic & there is a good 15mm gap at the top of the intercooler & the Shield and 30mm+ at the bottom towards the intake manifold.
    The air still finds a way out, Yes like I said it would pose a bit of a restriction with flow. But in my testing it works and doesn't need a HEAP of flow to get rid of heat
    soak cause there is next to nothing to begin with.
    With a thicker Aftermarket cooler you may have a problem with spacing, But I believe will still show gains and a real benefit.

Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

That tape seems like a good product. I was thinking using thin aluminium so that its pliable to shape more easily and apply this tape on the underside. in theory by shaping the aluminium, there would be more space available for the air to flow out.

Haven't had a look under the tmic to see what sort of shaping would be needed or even feasible, so only speculation at this stage. I would attempt it, but going to get a upgraded tmic hopefully soon, so no point doing it with the stock cooler.

that DEI tape is available in a 24x24" sheet which is about $40 plus postage from amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Good idea,
    Even better, cover the side of the plate that is facing the engine in DEI reflect-a-gold heat reflective tape.
    Its not cheap but a quick search will show you just how good it is.

theres not much room to bend it into shape due to coilpacks... Im not sold on the idea due to airflow not much gap for airflow .. Dont get me wrong i hope all areas this works as than i will do it, i just cant see it working due to gap restrictions

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

In saying that prob not much room for airflow from standard.... SOMEONE get this tested!!! Make me a sheild and i will log the shit out of it
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Isn't my testing enough for you in the previous page?

Try it for yourself then and log away.

Just curious, Has anyone else done this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by NQMPS View Post
    Isn't my testing enough for you in the previous page?

Try it for yourself then and log away.
    Im talking about boost intake temps. Not just intercooler temps .. Want to get more info up and if it works i will leave it on
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Im planning to do this when I eventually get an aftermarket tmic, but here is what im thinking of doing.

in the below picture, the yellow part is the headshield. the shaping is dependent on the other obstructions such as wiring etc. but in principal, that is what im aiming for.

theres quite a bit of room towards the back of the engine behind the exhaust cam, with virtually no room towards the front which is blocked by the inlet manifold. this will force the air out the back and the sides (particularly around the intake cam).

This is all purely by observation and other input regarding airflow and pressures would be great.

Guys Im going to do this this week and coat the underside with heat reflective tape for something to do. I have a CPE TMIC which is 3.25" thick so If it doesn't fit after the additional spacing Ill be sure to let everyone know :P
    For anyone wondering where to get aluminium, Im going to Aluminium Extrusions, Suppliers - Security Windows & Doors - Capral. They have shops all across Aus. Pricing, the smallest size they do in 1.6mm is 1200x600 (quarter cut) which is about $23, so you can essentially get 3-4 templates out of it. They will cut it to size for you just show them the diameter posted previously. Can probably find it cheaper elsewhere but I don't have the tools to cut it myself.
    I have an AP so I will log BAT, IAT, coolant temps etc. If anyone wants any other logs let me know.

EDIT: Ok it doesnt fit properly with the old cold pipe design (2005 6 MPS, not sure what model 3 have the old pipe design). The plate hits part of the cold pipe, I cut a space for it to fit around but it is FAR too tight, the alu plate is firm against the bottom of the IC on one side which is no good. This is probably because im running an aftermarket TMIC also. For those with aftermarket 3.25" or greater TMIC I wouldnt recommend doing this. Was worth a shot though!
    Last edited by dazza; 26-07-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

no offence NQMPS, i would want to see some more logging of temps before taking to this idea.

Same goes before i would consider purchasing something.

buuuut i do also have a sheet sitting arround and a Cobb AP on the way so i may give it a go at some point and keep track of the temps.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Guys Im going to do this this week and coat the underside with heat reflective tape for something to do. I have a CPE TMIC which is 3.25" thick so If it doesn't fit after the additional spacing Ill be sure to let everyone know :P
    For anyone wondering where to get aluminium, Im going to Aluminium Extrusions, Suppliers - Security Windows & Doors - Capral. They have shops all across Aus. Pricing, the smallest size they do in 1.6mm is 1200x600 (quarter cut) which is about $23, so you can essentially get 3-4 templates out of it. They will cut it to size for you just show them the diameter posted previously. Can probably find it cheaper elsewhere but I don't have the tools to cut it myself.
    I have an AP so I will log BAT, IAT, coolant temps etc. If anyone wants any other logs let me know.

EDIT: Ok it doesnt fit properly with the old cold pipe design (2005 6 MPS, not sure what model 3 have the old pipe design). The plate hits part of the cold pipe, I cut a space for it to fit around but it is FAR too tight, the alu plate is firm against the bottom of the IC on one side which is no good. This is probably because im running an aftermarket TMIC also. For those with aftermarket 3.25" or greater TMIC I wouldnt recommend doing this. Was worth a shot though!
    @dazza Williamstown metal - 44 Tennyson St, Williamstown North PH: (03) 9397 8385 - Aluminium/Steel etc, only comes in biggish sheets i'd just go there and see if they have any off cuts for sale but even the big sheets are pretty cheap
    or bunnings maybe masters
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast