User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple way to get the most out of your Stock Intercooler & eliminate heat soak.

I applaud your endeavors and as some else stated (thinking outside the box) ,but unless you can show that your BAT,s are lower , have a good look at most OEM instalations of cars with TMIC and you will quickly see that almost all are as per our MPS .
    I can personally state that i can run my car (highway use ) and i can leave my hand on top of the IC for a long time , Short drives ,medium traffic i can still do this ,mine is not steaming hot .
    The air flow will be deminished some what ,due to resistance and internal back pressure caused by heat shield,(not adequate flow) .
    A better alternate would be to ,as (Cton ) said use DEI gold reflective tape and only cover to bottom of front and rear tanks and then the bottom only of the cooling channels .This would be time consuming ,expensive ,but may yield a better result.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Good thinking here mate, well done. As some have said, if you can get access to OBD-II reader then monitoring BAT before and after would be a good test, also monitoring Coolant temps and Oil temps with shield on and off would be good too.

Otherwise great work keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Exactly, @Reedy . you need to look at boost air temps (BAT's) not IAT. and without a Dashhawk or a AccessPort you cant measure it i believe.
    I could be running a FMIC and it wont change the IAT but its the BAT that will be cooler.
    That's what I was always under the impression I was measuring with my OBD scanner and REV on my iPhone..... I need to look into this further. It doesn't have a BAT option, Intake temp is the only one and since it says 50+ degrees when my intercooler is heatsoaked to shit I always assumed that was the correct measurement. Given how slowly it comes down once my car starts moving tells me it's intake manifold temp, not simply the air temp in my engine bay. Either that or my Cold Air Intake isn't doing jack shit.
    Last edited by Reedy; 11-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Ok I'll get something sorted soon to put all the skeptics at rest and set up temp probes before intercooler/Intercooler core temp/After intercooler temp and will take the heat sheild off and refit it with the same test's
    If not......then I just wasted No $$$$ Doing it & a huge 30mins of my time and not knowing the difference between a HOT Intercooler core and the benefits of have a COLD intercooler core what would be better with Charge air temps/power.....
    Cheers.
    Last edited by NQMPS; 12-06-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Had:
    Mitsubishi Evolution III ~12.0@114mph~
    Mitsubishi Evolution VII ~12.8@106mph~
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    ~07 Ralliart Colt ~14.85@96mph~
    ~2010 Velocity Red Luxury MPS 3.
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

BAT's are what creates/robs power...
    if they're too high, your car pulls ignition timing...

Good lateral thinking, keen to see how you go with your temp testing.

Kudos for having an idea, trying it and posting for discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Very interested to see your results. Kudos for giving it a crack

Cheers for the + Feed back guys.
    Like I said I'm keen to get some data recorded.
    But for now I know it keeps my intercooler cold no matter how long I drive for and that HAS to mean something about better intake Charge temps/Power.
    The car does pull harder all the time now!
    Could be good to get some Dyno testing done as well with it fitted and without..... Hummmm
    Keep ya's posted in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by NQMPS; 12-06-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NQMPS View Post
    Cheers for the + Feed back guys.
    Like I said I'm keen to get some data recorded.
    But for now I know it keeps my intercooler cold no matter how long I drive for and that HAS to mean something about better intake Charge temps/Power.
    The car does pull harder all the time now!
    Could be good to get some Dyno testing done as well with it fitted and without..... Hummmm
    Keep ya's posted in the coming weeks.

I want to see this work... that way we can stick it to the US boys with prof to back us

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Would be a good idea to see how much temp rises on the coilpacks too. last thing you need is to melt them! Maybe get a temp on them while driving and parked
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

NQMPS, Hi. Suggest you don't go by felt temps for a final record but get a hand-held pistol-style IR temp scanner like one I use for checking my boat exhaust manifold temps - for example pics see Infrared Temperature Measurement Instruments: Handheld Infrared Thermometers - and record temps off a few fixed points on the IC body and TIP in a range of circumstances, as well as ambient temps when you start and finish a run.

You have to get under the bonnet quick too, once a run has been completed, before temps change. For this reason, ideally fixed sensor pads are better so you can read them while driving from a monitor coupled to all of them at once.

Suggest "before and after" runs in:

- Traffic
    - Prologued idle
    - Freeway

A DH may help too if you have one, for the critical Boost Air Temps. Then you can lay it all out in a graph or table. Being able to quantify improvements adds a lot of credibility. Cheers.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

What about using a different material?

I have some large thin silicon cutting boards that i have not looked at the same for the last few days... :-)

Chris.

Of course, one could refrigerate the IC and /or the inlet pipes with extensions to the air-conditioning plumbing - quite a task I will admit and not in conformity with the simple approach suggested here.

The alternative is that NOX will nicely drop your cylinder charge temperature and improve volumetric efficiency better than anything else around - and oxygenate it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    NQMPS, Hi. Suggest you don't go by felt temps for a final record but get a hand-held pistol-style IR temp scanner like one I use for checking my boat exhaust manifold temps
    When was I going to "Go by felt temp for a final record"???? And yes I will be using a IR laser temp thing as well. (Ordered a & On it's way here)

Guess you missed what I said earlier

"Ok I'll get something sorted soon to put all the skeptics at rest and set up temp probes before intercooler/Intercooler core temp/After intercooler temp and will take the heat sheild off and refit it with the same test's
    Could be good to get some Dyno testing done as well with it fitted and without..... Hummmm"
    Last edited by NQMPS; 15-06-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Had:
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:
    3" CAI, K&N, Race pipe, Silicone Intake pipe, Custom Intercooler heat shield, LED Conversion, Gloss Black Wheels.

Ok guys I have done some temp testing with it fitted and without it.

With it fitted:

Ambient temp:18deg
    Pre start up intercooler core temp in morning: 20.7 deg
    Drive all day MAX core Temp: 25.6deg
    heat soak after 30 mins sitting 47.9 deg
    Intercooler core temp after 1 minute driving after sitting for 30 mins: 27.8 deg

Different day with it not fitted:

Ambient temp in morning: 22 deg
    Pre start up temp: 22.6
    Drive all day MAX core temp: 42.2 deg
    Heat soak after 30 mins sitting: 67.0 deg
    Intercooler core temp after 1 minute driving after sitting for 30 mins: 48.8 deg

You be the judge if it works or not.....

Last edited by NQMPS; 25-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Had:
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:

Numbers generally don't lie, looks like a decent quantified improvement.

good job

Cheers for that, Like I said it has made a noticeable improvement and like you said numbers don't lie.
    If I was to drive from cold start up and record the temp with it fitted or without it would be the same temp or there bouts.
    Great if you only drive one time and never stop (But you never do), Then it might be a waste of time to do.
    But during the day driving it's a huge performance difference that I have seen

Will also note that our intercoolers are not too bad at cooling the boost as well.

Took the car up a Mt Stuart boost run all the way to the top and the intercooler core temp when it entered the intercooler after the turbo was 76.4 deg...... Temperature at the bottom of the core as it enters the T/B
    was only 24.9 deg!!!!

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    I want to see this work... that way we can stick it to the US boys with prof to back us

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Would be a good idea to see how much temp rises on the coilpacks too. last thing you need is to melt them! Maybe get a temp on them while driving and parked
    Can Quote them my results if you like.
    I'm thinking that the coil packs will be fine as 99% of cars have them covered under a engine/plug cover of some sort.
    Last edited by NQMPS; 25-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Had:
    06 MPS 3 True Red
    Now:

Great work champ!

How much for one? I'm not very handyman so would rather buy one than make one.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Cost bugger all mate really. (Well for me anyways)

I'll post up some cutting diagrams and plans soon for people to do it if they didn't want to stuff around to make it fit like I did.

Wonder if @2XS can make something like this, brand it and sell it ?

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    Wonder if @2XS can make something like this, brand it and sell it ?
    How bad do you want one?
    I could do it, just depends on what the market desires.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast