User Tag List

Thread: car revs high at start up?

1. Default car revs high at start up?

hey guys, new to this forum...

not sure if this has been mentioned before, havent got enough time to look it up..

bought a mazda 3 mps last november with 4000k's on the clock...

i've noticed that when i start the car in the morning or after work and engines cold, it revs at 2000rpm and slowly drops over a 1minute or so...

just wanted to know if this happens in all the mps's or if there might be a problem... taking it for it's 10,000km service soon, going to mention it to them but wanted to check on here first...

cheers,

Joey

serious???

this happens with every single car. upon start up car revs higher coz it is cold. it needs to warm up. this is completely normal and happens with every car

Hi Joey,

Its called 'cold start' and it is completely normal.

I normally just wait to the revs drop then slowly move off.
    The best way to warm a car up is to drive it gently, just remember once the display is showing the car is warmed up the other oils still wont be up to temp (ie gearbox), this is only the water temp.

4. Default

ah ok... yeh i normally wait til it drops down in revs before i take of...

yeh i know a car normally revs high when it starts up but never seen a car rev at 2000rpm on start up... lol.. hence why i asked the question... not even my old **** box laser rev'd that high on start up...

but thanks just thought it odd to rev that high..

No worries mate

Dont be afraid to ask questions, we are here to help!

6. Default

cheers mate..

I like to fire my car up on really cold mornings and immediately do a massive burnout out the driveway. Then i drive at high revs in first till it warms up properly.

If its really cold i will leave the handbrake on and just do a huge patch redlining it to warm the tires up a bit as i understand warm tires are better for handling. The car seems to love it.

hahahaha not planning on keeping the car for long then i take it lol

Blog Entries

2,000 RPM does seem a little bit high. Mine really only goes to about 1,500 on a cold morning. But it is QLD!

I'd rather be safe than sorry, mention it at the service.

10. Default

High revs at start, another good reason to use 0W-40 oil. Gets up into the heads straight away to lubricate from the get go.

dOttY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    High revs at start, another good reason to use 0W-40 oil. Gets up into the heads straight away to lubricate from the get go.
    I use Castrol 0W-40 oil, as suggested by the knowledgeable Wardski!

My car revs high at the start, but I've nevah noted the RPM's. Nevah revs high for long though...

Almost time for my 10K service... Time to trade her in I think!

On cold starts mine used to rev to a about 1500-2000rpm & takes about 2min to idle. A bit too high for my liking, on a cold start. So now I use light throttle on start up. According to the manual you not suppose to use throttle on start ups but now it warms up from 1000rpm.
    Last edited by mav2777; 20-04-2009 at 12:28 PM.

start her up.. and run quick to the pipe.. sounds so good... gargles a bit....

Mine starts up at 2000 most of the time but it take less that a minute to drop back to 1000 or less.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mav2777 View Post
    On cold starts mine used to rev to a about 1500-2000rpm & takes about 2min to idle. A bit too high for my liking, on a cold start. So now I use light throttle on start up. According to the manual you not suppose to use throttle on start ups but now it warms up from 1000rpm.
    Yep, you can "BLIP" the accellerator very quickly to drop it down to 1000 RPM idle. I've done this a few times before. Not sure if this is a good thing or not - I'm sure Mazda have the car starting at 2000 RPM for a reason...

16. Default

ye thanks guys.. i will mention it when i take it in for the service which should be soon... other then that i'm happy with the car... found out on friday night it's a bit tight in the back lol..