User Tag List

Thread: CAI and BOV

1. Question CAI and BOV

Hi guys, I am thinking of get a BOV fitted on my 3MPS GEN1, like the sound of air release. Being told that putting on a BOV is a waste of money, better to get the CAI installed. Well, yes, I do like the air sucking sound too! Then I was told, to get the CAI installed, better to upgrade/tune the ECU to get the engine running properly to cope the new air induction, or maybe even do the cat removal and downpipes at the same time. Unfortunately, don't have all these spare $$$ in my pocket, which I wish I have. Don't want to spend more than $600 at this stage. Would it be easier to just put in the BOV to get the sound I wanted as a start?

Your thoughts?

2. Default

And do I have to tune the ECU if to install a CAI or SRI system?

dont get CAI , get a SRI . BOV is not bad.. few on sale here..
    depends on what size SRI you get .. i was told 3 inch will need a tune 2.5 inch should be ok

Sri will give you noises you want

cai is too risky - hydralock

6. Default

SRI is what I preferred, cheaper and easy to install, however, mechanical warranty provider advised if to install a SRI, it has to be accompanied by a separator box to keep hot air away. Looking at the K&N AIS and also COBB's one, but doesn't have a box, have to buy it separately. The main thing I was concerned was whether the ECU upgrade is required.

Should be ok with just an SRI without tune, but I take no responsibility if things turn to shit lol, will make the noises you want. I suggest you make either a hypertech or Cobb AP your next purchase so you can get all the performance increases associated with the Sri.

Sent from my HTC One X

8. Default

You could also consider a SRI that has OEM (or close to) MAF diameter size, negating the need of a tune. I have a corksort stage 2 SRI. And with the SRI you'll hear the stock BOV/BPV much better.

9. Default

what size is the OEM pipe? 2.5?

At a guess...yes. Get a ruler out and measure yours, a lot of us don't have our stockers anymore. If that your car in your profile pic?

11. Default

what matters is the size of the OEM MAF housing for fuel trim and MAF calibration purposes.

According to MAF Calibration Tutorial - Mazdaspeed Forums the stock MAF housing is 66.5mm diamter (2.61811")

According to Mazdaspeed Forums - THE OFFICIAL INTAKE THREAD!! the stock MAF housing is 2.65" or 67.3mm

12. Default

No, I got a GEN 1, will try to measure it

Honestly, all of the big name standard SRIs (CP-e (http://cp-e.com/webstore/product/maz...no-air-intake/), Corksport (http://www.corksport.com/corksport-p...daspeed-3.html), 2XS (website in dev, but you can always PM him here)) should be close enough to be fine, particularly if you plan to get a tune down the track. I ran the corksport stage 2 with airbox for over a year without a tune. LTFT were always a bit off and would do some funny things on long drives, but nothing serious. Got an AP and now fine.

IMO: The only reason to be really pedantic about maf size is if you plan to never get a tune. If you do, then get one you like, run it for a while, save up, get an AP, and Bob's your fathers brother!

Note: Cobb (http://www.cobbtuning.com/MAZDASPEED...t-p/771500.htm) says theirs needs tuning, but this might just be a plug for their AP.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

in my case , im planing to go 3 inch , so wait for 3 inch , AP then tune and save your self from getting a 2.5 inch then upgrading etc