User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Turbo

Yep, when i was smoking id sit at the lights with foot on the throttle to stop smoking out everyone james bond style.
    Talk about embarrassing.
    HEY DUDE YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE

Default Smoking Turbo

Hey guys just a quick question re smoking turbo. So if it's shot it doesn't necessarily have to do it all the time?

Default Smoking Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by turkminator View Post
    Hey guys just a quick question re smoking turbo. So if it's shot it doesn't necessarily have to do it all the time?
    It wont initially... But it will get worse.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Since the BNR has been installed no smoke

banjo bolt, or oil catch can don't just think its your turbo try the small things before major work!

Banjo bolt is just a bolt with a hole in it for oil to pass through. Only way it could ever 'fail' is if it is blocked by something very big - after which your turbo would cook itself pretty damn quick. Replacing it isn't going to achieve much i'm afraid.

And a catch can is just a band aid solution to 'catch' blow by and would have no bearing on a shot turbo. If you put a catch can in and it solved your smoking issues, it was never your turbo - it would just be proof your rings are shot and you were pumping oil out through the exhaust though the turbo. After which you've got a much bigger problem than needing a new turbo - you need an engine rebuild.

Default Smoking Turbo

I had a bit of smoke after dp but not sure if it was just stuff burning off through exhaust. I upped my idle to 900 for good measure and haven't had any since. Raising the idle increases the vacuum pressure slightly so you should have less oil able to get through the seals

thats y an aftermarket banjo bolt should work because it stops the build up of oil pressure on your turbo? i have read heaps of post about this turbo problem and it always happens when someone has put a down pipe or exhaust on

Quote Originally Posted by Dperrin View Post
    thats y an aftermarket banjo bolt should work because it stops the build up of oil pressure on your turbo? i have read heaps of post about this turbo problem and it always happens when someone has put a down pipe or exhaust on
    i have PVC pill did sweet FA lol, i think my old turbo was ok but the combination of the PVC and the turbo with DP didnt like each other. having said that since BNR no smoke
    SOLD |2005 MPS 6| BNR Stage 3 | Cobb AP | AEM CAI | CP-E TIP | CP-E TMIC | Autotech HPFP | CP-E DP | CPE CBE | H&R Coils | SPC Ball Joints | DBA Slotted Rotors | HKS SSQ BOV | Cobb EBC | JBR Short Shift + Heavy Gear Knob| LED Tail Lights | Black Powder Coated Rims | Corksport Front Strut | CP-E Rear Engine Mount | CP-E Injector Seals | Denso Spark Plugs | Perm Tune

BT-50 yeah i know your impressed

Yeah I'm thinking of either the BNR or the ATP garrett turbo, how does that BNR go? Stage 2 or? I just don't want to rush out and buy one when it could only be a small problem and also where did u get that pill from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dperrin View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking of either the BNR or the ATP garrett turbo, how does that BNR go? Stage 2 or? I just don't want to rush out and buy one when it could only be a small problem and also where did u get that pill from?
    Have stage 3 goes good definitely notice the difference compared to stock, never heard anything bad about them, in combination with mods/tune i think it was worth it. From MPS garage could get cheaper from overseas but i wanted local warrenty. For similar price u could get the ATP gtx2871 i think, from edgeautosport. Pretty sure i got the pill from ptp performance
    SOLD |2005 MPS 6| BNR Stage 3 | Cobb AP | AEM CAI | CP-E TIP | CP-E TMIC | Autotech HPFP | CP-E DP | CPE CBE | H&R Coils | SPC Ball Joints | DBA Slotted Rotors | HKS SSQ BOV | Cobb EBC | JBR Short Shift + Heavy Gear Knob| LED Tail Lights | Black Powder Coated Rims | Corksport Front Strut | CP-E Rear Engine Mount | CP-E Injector Seals | Denso Spark Plugs | Perm Tune

Default Re: Smoking Turbo

Bnr promises no smoking, shouldn't need a pill or anything

I would say go BNR s3 over gtx2867, simply due to ease of install...

Both turbos will max the stock fuelling capabilities of the engine quite easily...
    Also, S1 just for a "no worries" direct replacement, an S3 will require a tune, and a new coupler for intake

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Bnr promises no smoking, shouldn't need a pill or anything

I would say go BNR s3 over gtx2867, simply due to ease of install...

Both turbos will max the stock fuelling capabilities of the engine quite easily...
    Also, S1 just for a "no worries" direct replacement, an S3 will require a tune, and a new coupler for intake
    Yeah took pill out no smoke . Im not sure how harder the GTX would be to install talk to @99GTT he has done his, you will need solenoid or restrctor as well, both of us werent aware of this before install.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yeah took pill out no smoke . Im not sure how harder the GTX would be to install talk to @99GTT he has done his, you will need solenoid or restrctor as well, both of us werent aware of this before install.
    big thread on MSF about it...
    garret says one thing, ATP says another
    ive got a GT3071 on my car, have a decent understanding of how hard they are to install.... can install a BNR S3 without removing stock manifold... cant do that with a GT/GTX
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Default Smoking Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Lol... More like talk to @2XS about it. All 99gtt did was drop car off in the morning and pick it up in the arvo.

The kit comes as a "mazdaspeed6 bolt on kit", but he had to muck around with the return lines from memory as they weren't quite right. I don't think he took off manifold. I even got to keep most shields, so looks stockish (apart from massive 3" intake, frontmount piping, etc).

The TIP was a beeatch to bit around battery.

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

i was thinking the BNR Stage 2.5, seems like there alright doesn't look like anyone has any problems with them
    anyone know where they do tuning in WA? i know RPW does but i got a redic quote!

BNR uses the factory rear housing, making it cheaper to make/supply.
    I believe they also use Garrett internals.
    Stage 1,2 use the factory front cover, which should also reduce the cost.

I would buy a stage 3, if I was going to buy a BNR.

Garrett have been in turbos forever.

Both will need a new inlet.
    It's all about personal preference.
    I personally chose to run a T2 flanged Garrett 28/76r, but, bolt-on turbos were $3k when I decided to do it.
    And I could fabricate everything myself to suit the non-MPS flanged turbo.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

What size inlet pipe would be ideal for a BNR S3? what size is the turbos inlet, and the intercooler piping outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    What size inlet pipe would be ideal for a BNR S3? what size is the turbos inlet, and the intercooler piping outlet?
    I just have the CPE TIP i think it is 3" or something whateva the standard size is not the 4", intercooler piping stock.

Ahh ok standard size is 2", so do you run a reducer to the turbo or just a 3" connector?

I got a 2XS one which i believe is 2.5" cause im running a small reducer to the stock KO4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast