User Tag List

Thread: Is the Mazda 6 MPS Starter motor the same as the Mazda 6?

Default Is the Mazda 6 MPS Starter motor the same as the Mazda 6?

My MPS 6 is about to be on it's 3rd starter motor. The first one was replaced when the car was under warranty at about 85 000 km by Mazda. Around a year and a half later (25 000km) the starter motor is playing up, and it is on it's last legs (suspected starter solenoid).

Does anybody know if the starter motor for a Mazda 6 MPS is the same as a standard Mazda 6?

I would think they would be the same, however I have seen different part numbers on DENSO's website for the sixes New and remanufactured Denso car starters at DensoProducts.com

Mazda dealers say they are the same. However i'm asking here for a little peace of mind before trying to fit one (as Mazda have tried to force standard Mazda 6 parts on my MPS before, such as suspension bushes).

I'm also not looking at buying the part off Mazda for $957.... But that's another story...

I think it might be but don't take my word for it. I had my GF's starter motor on her SP20 done a while ago, but I think it was the brushes in the starter motor that were done and motor rebuilt for $ less.

Can you source and aftermarket motor rather than a mazda part?

I purchased an aftermarket Mazda 6 starter motor for $300 delivered. Hopefully it all fits. I will find out tomorrow (it looks like it is going to be a fun job, due to it's position above the oil filter and below the intake manifold.

Update - it turns out I didn't need a new starter motor after all... The wire between the starter motor and the solenoid was loose. After a good tighten the starter has worked perfectly.

It looks like the starter is exaclty the same.

Good to hear you found the problem!