User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice plz on noise through intake

Default Advice plz on noise through intake

Since the update on my tune/muffler upgrade im getting a noise(its like a fast flutter) and hesitation/lack of power above 4000rpm only on full throttle or boosting half or more. It wont do it in 1st and 2nd gear, only in 3rd and 4th when my car hit max torque and boost. Im thinking it my standard BPV when im hitting 19+psi..

Jim said it cant be the tune.
    Thoughts guys?

A stutter - is there a corresponding loss of power? If so, sounds like the spark getting blown out (regap plugs).

Otherwise yeh, could be your BOV but usually they leak rather than open/shut.

boost leak?
    my car was down on power and made a frankly stupid amount of noise, turned out the turbo -> IC hose had come loose

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    A stutter - is there a corresponding loss of power? If so, sounds like the spark getting blown out (regap plugs).

Otherwise yeh, could be your BOV but usually they leak rather than open/shut.
    No shutter from teh engine only noise anda small loss of power
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Well I'd check all your hoses first - tighten all clamps etc. Boost leaks are notoriously hard to trace but easiest to just focus on what has been fiddled with recently and go from there.

Eg. It sounds like you just had some work done on the car - try focus on things that's have been changed since it was running right.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    boost leak?
    my car was down on power and made a frankly stupid amount of noise, turned out the turbo -> IC hose had come loose
    Ok i will check all pipes when i get home . Its heard through the intake the most and exhaust note changes a little. Doesnt jerk the car its only just noticable and with loss of power.... heard more than felt.

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Since the update on my tune/muffler upgrade im getting a noise(its like a fast flutter) and hesitation/lack of power above 4000rpm only on full throttle or boosting half or more. It wont do it in 1st and 2nd gear, only in 3rd and 4th when my car hit max torque and boost. Im thinking it my standard BPV when im hitting 19+psi..

Jim said it cant be the tune.
    Thoughts guys?
    I used to have this with my stock tune and mazdaspeed CAI.
    My vote is boost cut...
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

boost leak?
    Have blown a few 'cooler joins off in my time - jeez that gives you a fright when you're on full song and 'boooooom!!!' then car stalls - immediately think you've blown the motor.

Also had a top pipe blow off and hit the underside of the bonnet so hard it released the catch.

But yes - if a join is just loose it will hold boost to a certain level then start to leak past and over fuel at the same time.

The fluttering sound 'could' be the join leaking and re-sealing really fast as the boost spikes up and down.

Also @Jmac might be onto something, but if you've got an aftermarket tune that should be dialed out.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Have blown a few 'cooler joins off in my time - jeez that gives you a fright when you're on full song and 'boooooom!!!' then car stalls - immediately think you've blown the motor.

Also had a top pipe blow off and hit the underside of the bonnet so hard it released the catch.

But yes - if a join is just loose it will hold boost to a certain level then start to leak past and over fuel at the same time.

The fluttering sound 'could' be the join leaking and re-sealing really fast as the boost spikes up and down.

Also @Jmac might be onto something, but if you've got an aftermarket tune that should be dialed out.
    upgraded maf sensor? is the BT past the stock limits of the maf?
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Guessing It's his Gen 2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Luke my first thoughts are the std BPV ,it can not take the pressure and causing the flutter (like a paper bag stuck to intake)
    Remember also silicone tubes can be a bitch to seal . Ive had one seal point where i have tried everthing (hylomar, aviation sealant no3, diff clamps etc) to no avail.
    From memory you do have a silicone 3 in inlet elbow with a bypass hose inserted dont you.
    You can also overtighten a tbolt to the point where it causes a small pinch and therefore creates a leak. (typically area directly under bolt load point).
    Good luck & post your findings.
    Last edited by Oldhead; 07-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I doubt it its only a 2860.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Luke my first thoughts are the std BPV ,it can not take the pressure and causing the flutter (like a paper bag stuck to intake)
    Remember also silicone tubes can be a bitch to seal . Ive had one seal point where i have tried everthing (hylomar, aviation sealant no3, diff clamps etc) to no avail.
    From memory you do have a silicone 3 in inlet elbow with a bypass hose inserted dont you.
    You can also overtighten a tbolt to the point where it causes a small pinch and therefore creates a leak. (typically area directly under bolt load point).
    Good luck & post your findings.
    I will check all hoses sunday when i have daylight i have a data log i done im in the proccess of getting it loaded up.. will post soon

Attachment 11217 3rd gear didnt do teh noise
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 07-06-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Attachment 11220 4th gear

Attachment 11221 taller gear see 19.5+ psi!!!

Attachment 11222 5th gear for sure 3000rpm you can see boost is up you can see maf air flow fluttering!!
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 08-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.

If anyone wants me to do a log with different paramiters im more than happy to do it. Thoughts guys!!

Update its now making the noise in 2nd and through all gears, even in 6th at 2500rpm+ diff loss of power BUT only on full throttle. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle no noise runs perfect.

Sounds like my issue...
    Boost hose was slipping off from Turbo to IC

Sounds like my issue...
    Boost hose was slipping off from Turbo to IC

Thanks Sam. I will check this first

OK i went over the car no boost leak no loose hoses. BPV or MAF maxing out?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

No boost leak shows in my logs as well doesnt drop boost. Do i just get new BPV and larger maf (corksport sri and box)..... hmm...

just had another thought - from my skyline days, the RB25 Neo motors were notorious for sucking the soft rubber intake pipe elbow closed under higher than stock boost levels.

given you're on a stock intake, perhaps this is what is going on?

Either way - i think an upgraded intake would surely benefit your setup - right now you've got Usain Bolt trying to run 100m breathing through a straw!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast