User Tag List

Thread: thoughts on smaller than stock wheels ..

Default thoughts on smaller than stock wheels ..

ive got a mate who i willing to sell me a set of r32 gtr rims in near perfect condition for $150, ive always loved that wheel and im tossing up if ill be worth my time

on the up side tires will be chaper and i love the JDM-ness of em

on the down side im not sure if theyll suit the mps and if theyll fill the wheel well out properly

and am i right in thinking that a fatter diameter will give me a slightly more forgiving ride ?

I have been secretly plotting to put R34 GT-R rims on mine, but at 18x9" +30 it would be a mission.

I think the 32's would look ok, and if you put some semi's on them they'd look purposeful.

And yes, the larger sidewall will give a more compliant ride - maybe not huge difference, but some.

I'm looking at 17x8.5s for my Gen 1
    Biggest issue is clearing front calipers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

yeah true, i didnt think about barke clearance and being 16's i might be in trouble. hmmm what to do now? ...
    anyone got some rx8's the want to get rid of....... @KRNAGE cough cough ....

couple of sets of rx8's on ebay

I'd never buy a smaller than stock set of rims. Brake fit is one thing. Wheel arch fill is another and ride quality a third aspect unless you keep rolling diameter the same, which means a higher profile tyre. That might keep your speed in limits, and improve your ride but may not improve handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I'd never buy a smaller than stock set of rims. Brake fit is one thing. Wheel arch fill is another and ride quality a third aspect unless you keep rolling diameter the same, which means a higher profile tyre. That might keep your speed in limits, and improve your ride but may not improve handling.
    17x8.5 rpf1's with 245/45/17 gives same rolling diameter as current 225/45's, retains the ride comfort of 45 series rubber, drops 4kg per rim and increases straight line traction
    do lose a tiny bit in lateral grip tho... but i can offset this by the fact the tyres will be cheaper, so will get much better rubber for same price
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    17x8.5 rpf1's with 245/45/17 gives same rolling diameter as current 225/45's, retains the ride comfort of 45 series rubber, drops 4kg per rim and increases straight line traction
    do lose a tiny bit in lateral grip tho... but i can offset this by the fact the tyres will be cheaper, so will get much better rubber for same price
    Exactly! AD08s in the US in this size are less than $200 each :P
    Metro Grey '08 MPS Sports - Cobb SF SRI - 17x9 +45 Enkei RPF-1 - 245/40 Yoko AD08s - 163fwkw on Tunehouse Dyno

17's are very popular in the US(the colder states) as winter tyres, go over to MSF and you'll see loads of examples. Mad Aussie had 17's on his, but 16's, jeez, you'd need bigger rubber to make it loo any good IMO.

I've had 16" on my car believe it on not, while i was getting my rims painted they put some on for me here is a photo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0121.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	11215

they were running no name... 185 tyres so i wouldn't take anything from handling. A nice set of 17" ultra lightweight rims would be sweet for track days running a 245/255-40/45- 17 profile semi would be very good
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

11. Default

I've got a set of 17x7 lightweight Enkei on mine with 215/50/17. The combo of wheel/tyre is 4 kg lighter than stock each. No problem with brake clearance. The lower offset also widens the wheel track so looks better from the rear

12. Default

I run 16" wheels with winter tyres in the cold months, and switched to 17x8.5 with 245/45's for summer. The 17's are lighter and the rubber is cheaper. BTW one of my mates (doubleflusher on MSF)runs 15's when we go to the drag strip, a little caliper massaging was nesasary for those to fit (angle grinder massage). But back on track the smaller diameter wheel will accelerate faster and also is less unsprung weight (see better handling).

13. Default

Yes! Those are the reasons I went with smaller wheels: better performance via lower unsprung weight and cheaper tyre (still top rubber though); the last one is more compliant ride over crap roads.