User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on the Cobb AP…?

You're a champion, naasif. That helps clear a lot of things up.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    You're a champion, naasif. That helps clear a lot of things up.
    no probs
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Awesome work, thanks mate. That would be great in the AP FAQ thread... SAM!!!!
    done

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    done
    Awesome thanks mate.. WINNING

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

so i plugged mine in today as per the instructions - 'cannot identify vehicle' - anyone else had this problem? trouble shooing section says i need to check i have latest version of firmware - i would have thought being brand new it would have had this already.

this is after i bought a mobile phone holder for $20 bucks to hold the fuxn thing, which looks like ass and scratched my vents. FUMING.

so i plugged mine in today as per the instructions - 'cannot identify vehicle' - anyone else had this problem? trouble shooing section says i need to check i have latest version of firmware - i would have thought being brand new it would have had this already.

this is after i bought a mobile phone holder for $20 bucks to hold the fuxn thing, which looks like ass and scratched my vents. FUMING.
    Depends when whomever you bought it off got that unit, if they received it from cobb before it was officially released, then it will need an update...

I grabbed a generic phone holder for mine, $5, does the job just fine

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Pretty sure it says to update firmware first... who knows when it was flashed originally.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

mmkay will update firmware tonight and throw $20 phone holder at a hyundai excel if i see one.

getting some velcro tape instead.

(side note: the JBR mount looks awesome, but so expensive....)

What's TIH?

Here you go @SMOKEY cheaper and similar
    Car Floor Seat Bolt Mount for Cobb Tuning Accessport Access Port | eBay

TIH - Turbo inlet hose (pretty sure) same as TIP

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    What's TIH?
    Apologies...US guys call it Turbo Inlet Hose..we tend to refer to it as Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP).

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    Thanks mate - bought one - although the $40 from this, plus the $20 from el crappo phone holder could have bought me a JBR one nearly.....grrr.

And of course, the phone holder came in one of those hard plastic sealed packets which are next to impossible to open without destroying.....so can't even return the damn thing.

I ordered this. Will let you know how it is when I get it.

JBR James Barone Racing Cobb Tuning AccessPort Mount Mazdaspeed 3 6 MS3 MS6

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    Here you go @SMOKEY cheaper and similar
    Car Floor Seat Bolt Mount for Cobb Tuning Accessport Access Port | eBay

TIH - Turbo inlet hose (pretty sure) same as TIP
    Corksport SRI and TIP, 2XS LED lighting-: interior, parkers, fog lights and number plate lights, painted brake calipers (black), cPE REM, Cobb AP, Corksport front strut brace, Corksport rear sway bar, Autotech HPFP internals, Xforce cat back exhaust, Xforce DP, HPFP etune.

Nice.

I like the eBay version because it will hold my iPhone too.

I don't think I would feel safe leaving the AP mounted in full view all the time because I park on the street often.

But the jbr one is probably neater.

Hey guys and gals, it seems there is some confusion about COBB's OTS maps and what to make of upgrades. Here are a few thoughts:

1. The stage of the map simply refers to the amount of load, boost, and timing the map will run. The Stage 2 maps will target higher power levels than a Stage 1. So how is that related to the mods list? (read on below ... )

2. The HPFP: The more airflow that enters the motor, the higher demands for fuel. That airflow increase comes from increased boost. The HPFP is a cam driven pump and it will struggle with 16-17psi or greater on the stock turbo. A larger turbo will push it over the edge at lower boost. If you have a very nice flowing exhaust and intake then you will need an HPFP at even lower boost levels ... and on top of this not everyone's car will behave the same. To take the guess out of this, I suggest you perform a test. Load the map that you will run and do a 4th gear WOT run from 3k RPM to redline on a COLD night. The cold air is denser and will stress the pump further. If you see fuel pressure drop in the 1500-1400 psi range under WOT you know it's time for an upgrade. However there is more to this. If the ECU senses detonation, it will pull timing AND richen the fuel mixture. If this is the case, and the pump is on the edge, then it will bring pressure down quickly.

So why do you care about pressure? Well, the direct injection system acts against cylinder pressure when injecting the fuel. The lower the pressure in the fuel system the harder it will be to deliver that fuel and the fuel will atomize and mix with the air poorly. If this happens you not only lose performance, but knock can occur which may lead to the dreaded zoom zoom boom. So my suggestion is to buy the upgraded fuel pump for peace of mind, especially if you have exhaust modifications installed.

3. Now what about other modifications? Well, I will tell you that on the MPS cars the turbo is the largest restriction. So it doesn't take much to "max it out." The biggest bang for the buck in terms of performance will be an HPFP, an intake, a race pipe, step colder plugs, and a custom AP or VersaTuner tune. This will maximize what the stock turbo can do and with high quality fuel and reasonable ambient temperatures you will be close to 300whp (220kw). Having tuned 90+ MPS cars this is what I can recommend for the stock turbo. Remember this is not OTS Stage maps since these are not built for a particular customer car and are more conservative to fit a broad audience. You can see some results in the blog here (Blog : Stratified Automotive Controls)

In terms of the OTS maps, with an upgraded HPFP you can go ahead and run stage 2 maps. I would only consider the HPFP as the must have modification for running stage 2 ... and in some cases even stage 1.

A downpipe is nice but I would get a front mount intercooler or methanol injection to cool the charge air before going with a downpipe since the gains from timing are more beneficial. After that I would get the downpipe but the gains start to be diminishing.

Also if you have access to E85, with a custom tune, it does wonders in small mix quantities like 25%. You can expect the cars to make 320-340whp (235-250kw at the wheels) and 400 ft lbs of torque (540nm at the wheels) on the stock turbo.

Beyond this you will need a larger turbo.
    Last edited by Alex Stratified; 22-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.
    Custom MazdaSpeed/Mazda MPS Tuning - VersaTune and COBB

I've always wondered about e85. Do you need extra fuel pressure? Or is that counted by only using a 25% mix. I've read also that e85 can be a little hard on fuel system hardware as its a bit corrosive?

Thanks for the nice summery there.

You'll definitely need upgraded fuel system for straight e85. You use about 50% more fuel on e85.

Not sure about the mix, but would be a fair PITA to have to go through that everytime you wanted to fill up.

The rest about corrosiveness etc is just old wives tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I've always wondered about e85. Do you need extra fuel pressure? Or is that counted by only using a 25% mix. I've read also that e85 can be a little hard on fuel system hardware as its a bit corrosive?

Thanks for the nice summery there.
    Can run 100% E85 on stock fuel system with stock turbo with upgraded fuel pump...

With my etune coming up, will probably have to use a little bit of it... a normal 98 pump gas tune, and a 25% E85 tune

ATR allows you to tune for different fuel mixtures etc... not just in the ignition/boost, but with the specific gravity of the fuel... its pretty clever!
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I don't suggest going to 100% E85 as it has caused gumming of the fuel system and HPFP which are a bit of a hassles to always clean. A 25% mixture is just about right and since our fuel systems are limited for large turbo cars, running too much E85 lowers the fueling headroom too much.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Can run 100% E85 on stock fuel system with stock turbo with upgraded fuel pump...

With my etune coming up, will probably have to use a little bit of it... a normal 98 pump gas tune, and a 25% E85 tune

ATR allows you to tune for different fuel mixtures etc... not just in the ignition/boost, but with the specific gravity of the fuel... its pretty clever!
    There was a lot of time taken to find that Fuel scaling within the Mazda code. However, that's what the community wanted, and that's what buying an AP helps pay for!

As Alex said above, I'd stick to 25% E85 for starters, and you could go up to 50% before you run into lubrication issues.

Thanks,

-David@COBB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast