User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which car to replace my mps?

Default Which car to replace my mps?

Hey all,

Looks like after 6 years enjoying my mps it is off to a new home ( soon to be new member of ozmpsclub).

The conundrum I face is what to replace him with. 20-30+k to spend.

Options on the table as I see it thus far.

1/ 8p Audi s3 (2007-2009). ( can score for 33-35k with decent kms)
    2/ mk5 r32 golf (2007-2008). ( sub 30k with good kms)
    3/ g3 Sti (2008-2009). ( 35k plus )
    4/ e46 m3 (2002). ( 37k plus for decent kms)
    5/ newer 3 MPS

Feelings so far

1/ Audi - maybe not so quick but nice car
    2/ VW - sound great but too slow ( good price point though)
    3/ STI - it's a Subaru
    4/ BMW - like, like but older ( reliability ) and exy
    5/ MPS - tried and proven but been there done that etc

Would prefer to spend closer to 30k if possible ( just married so budget probably should change a bit )

Ideas peeps??
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Throw the new toyota 86 in there too

Thought about it for about 30 seconds. Looks great but way to slow. I'd go nuts.

Thanks for the suggestion though

I'd go xr6t but it's not on the list so.. Hands down..
    S3.
    Mods wise its got a damn lot of potential.
    Plus APR turns me on. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I personally like jap cars

Xr6t will handle like a dirty great big barge when your used to the MPS.

Brilliant in a straight line and in gear, though, just don't expect it to stop or turn. I know. I used to own an fg xr6t.

How about rx-8 ?

If I were spending up to $30k it would go to either an Evo, sti or rx-8.

Not a bad recommendation.

I want people's ideas, the list is what's cruising around in my head at the moment.

To be honest I should have added G6e turbo. It was way up on my list, for out and out grant the fords are the go.

Resale killed it for me, I had a BA b4 the mps. Killed me on trade

That being said I do have a thing for the g6

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Evolution 8?

S3 would get my vote from those you have posted. Plenty of easily accessible bits to bolt on for more go and show.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Not a bad recommendation.

I want people's ideas, the list is what's cruising around in my head at the moment.

To be honest I should have added G6e turbo. It was way up on my list, for out and out grant the fords are the go.

Resale killed it for me, I had a BA b4 the mps. Killed me on trade

That being said I do have a thing for the g6
    yeah the FG is a boat, but it rocks as a hi-po cruiser. I love them, and the G6E is great bit of kit, mate has one.
    I wouldnt buy new, though even now demos are mid thirties for the 6t aint such a bad buy!

Depends what you are after. My MPS is bumpy as shit, yeah it handles well but ive taken in on two track days since 07, would have had more fun powersliding . 99% of the time im sitting on the highway for 30 mins morning and night with the last 10 minutes bumper to bumper.
    FG 6T would be perfect for me.. in yeah... Auto...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Mk 5 Golf gti dsg with APR chip, exhaust etc. Fast as an MPS but nicer interior, and auto wins in traffic.

Toyota 86 (+turbo kit lol)

the audi s3 has a stupid amount of potential !

Avoid the M3 Bimmer. Too old and old enough to have been flogged by one of its likely few owners. Too expensive to buy and expensive to fix. I think you already figured that.

I'd avoid Fords as I don't reckon they can build cars that aren't junk, aren't putrid colours, don't have bad panel fit and uncomfortable seats and don't fall apart fast - which is why their resale is crap.

The EVO and STi are OK considerations but, rather irrationally for me, I hate them because they just "are" what they are and also they are like a'holes - everybody has one.

Any hot Renaults around in your price range? They can be a lot of fun. Or how about an Alfa Brera? At least it looks good, which those in the above para DON'T.

Failing these, I'd lean to the Golf on quality and performance, handling and ride.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Previous model Megane RS is insider the price range - a F1 edition would be the pick, that's if you can get past the ghetto booty styling.

A stout and clean r33 gt-r could be had, and an r34 for a bit more.

No way you'd get an e46 M3 under 30k though. E36 yes - but don't touch an SMG version. I looked into m3's (was a BMW club member with my e39 m-sport) but general consensus is allow 5k per year for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Previous model Megane RS is insider the price range - a F1 edition would be the pick, that's if you can get past the ghetto booty styling.

A stout and clean r33 gt-r could be had, and an r34 for a bit more.

No way you'd get an e46 M3 under 30k though. E36 yes - but don't touch an SMG version. I looked into m3's (was a BMW club member with my e39 m-sport) but general consensus is allow 5k per year for maintenance.
    I know the e46 can't be had for 30k, been looking for months and you can pick up a car with around 80k for 37-40k. Was still concerned buying a 150k retail car and the maintenance costs to keep it alive.

After several recommendations of golfs I noticed the Pirelli version wih bigger turbo and 169kw. Does anybody have experience with these? ( apr flash to around 229kw ). Might be an option?

I know the e46 can't be had for 30k, been looking for months and you can pick up a car with around 80k for 37-40k. Was still concerned buying a 150k retail car and the maintenance costs to keep it alive.

After several recommendations of golfs I noticed the Pirelli version wih bigger turbo and 169kw. Does anybody have experience with these? ( apr flash to around 229kw ). Might be an option?
    My Uncle has the Pirelli version. Really tight package IMO. I took it for a drive a bit before I got the MPS so can't offer a direct comparison, but definitely felt planted and spritely. I imagine even moreso with a flash tune as well.

Good option - limited edition so good resale. And you overcome the poxy wheels on the standard gti. The blue grey colour looks good. Similar to mazda metro grey. Just the seat trim pattern lets it down IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Good option - limited edition so good resale. And you overcome the poxy wheels on the standard gti. The blue grey colour looks good. Similar to mazda metro grey. Just the seat trim pattern lets it down IMO.

Did some more research. Apparentely the pirelli or ed30 has a detuned S3/golf R/ scirocco R engine ( same internals - rods, bigger turbo, lower compression etc). This means In apr stage 1 tune you gain heaps as its heavily detuned, becomes attractive. I wasn't interested in a golf gti but this may change things.

So S3 vs Gti pirelli??

I'm kinda torn

Gti - the aftermarket is endless. Plenty of online forums to help with info. And some established VW communities in Oz for club events, cruises etc.

These are all pre req's for my car selection.

Did some more research. Apparentely the pirelli or ed30 has a detuned S3/golf R/ scirocco R engine ( same internals - rods, bigger turbo, lower compression etc). This means In apr stage 1 tune you gain heaps as its heavily detuned, becomes attractive. I wasn't interested in a golf gti but this may change things.

So S3 vs Gti pirelli??

I'm kinda torn
    There pretty much the same engine base. Think 4wd would be better if your looing for modding a bit. Both cars have good backing from online forums and aftermarket stuff. Prob more body kit exterior asserories for the Vw, i know a fair bit about both as i was looking at GTI/S3/WRX before i bpught my gen2. the parts for rebuild are cheap for both compared to the MPS
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast