User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which car to replace my mps?

Porche Boxster?

2. Default

Evo 8-9 for your budget. No regrets guaranteed!

... E30 m3? ;-)

Audi RS4? No idea what they can be had for though...

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Audi RS4? No idea what they can be had for though...
    If you have to ask you can't afford....and then there is the maintenance owww!

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    If you have to ask you can't afford....and then there is the maintenance owww!
    If I could justify the coin for a rs4 I'd be into a e60 m5. Mmmm don't worry about the mythical mps top end. Mmmmmm v10 goodness
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    If I could justify the coin for a rs4 I'd be into a e60 m5. Mmmm don't worry about the mythical mps top end. Mmmmmm v10 goodness
    I Want an RS5 !!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

RS4 with supercharger kit! 550hp sounds like fun

I'd LOVE an RS4 Wagon but they don't come cheap!

Out of the original list I think the S3 is the most appealing car, but I love Jap cars and don't like the gremlins that buying second hand can have..... Hard choice.

If I needed a new car right now I would buy another MPS but that's just me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I Want an RS5 !!

A stock RS5 was running high 12's at the drags I think my mates said

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Why the hate for Subaru? They're actually quite awesome - for high 30s in via Fleet (or shoppers) you could get a wrx standard. 195kw/343nm, AWD, and like the VW, etc, has potential if you want to go down that road.

Mechanically awesome. Just a bit lack-lustre in respect of "luxury items" when I went from a gen2 mps to a wrx premium.

Since you're looking at Golf's... I went from my MPS to a Mk6 GTI with APR tune. Loving it.

Plenty of Mk6's in the early 30's. Most still under factory warranty and should be easy enough to find one with some good options.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Get a supercar R8/ferrari/lambo/arse engine rider and tell everyone to fark off... cuz u'd def have an attitude if you did

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Since you're looking at Golf's... I went from my MPS to a Mk6 GTI with APR tune. Loving it.

Plenty of Mk6's in the early 30's. Most still under factory warranty and should be easy enough to find one with some good options.

Looking at a 2008 mk5 Pirelli gti Friday. Dsg and detuned s3 engine should be a interesting combo. If I like what I find I'll make an offer. First week or so I'm in to an apr dealer for 229kw of goodness vs 188kw for the gti apr. If your happy with the normal gti apr tune I should be happy an extra 40 kw.
    Last edited by magoo; 07-06-2012 at 09:17 PM.

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Looking at a 2008 mk5 Pirelli gti Friday. Dsg and detuned s3 engine should be a interesting combo. If I like what I find I'll make an offer. First week or so I'm in to an apr dealer for 229kw of goodness vs 188kw for the gti apr. If your happy with the normal gti apr tune I should be happy an extra 40 kw.
    winning

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

For tunes check out Viezu and GIAC as well, Viezu in particular. Very good support with retuning available for $0 from what I can tell, for example if you grab a down pipe and tell them they'll adjust your tune for you free of charge.

I mainly went APR for VW warranty purposes (easier to hide/lock out when in for servicing at the dealer).

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    For tunes check out Viezu and GIAC as well, Viezu in particular. Very good support with retuning available for $0 from what I can tell, for example if you grab a down pipe and tell them they'll adjust your tune for you free of charge.

I mainly went APR for VW warranty purposes (easier to hide/lock out when in for servicing at the dealer).

Car has extended warranty untill dec 2014. I'm not to hung up on that though.

Are the results similar between these different tune houses?

Are there any tuners based on the goldcoast from giac/revo/viezu? Or Brisbane perhaps? It does frustrate me that the apr process has set upgrades that you cannot really deviate from.

From what I know they all give reasonably similar results for the generic "Stage 1 tune" as it seems to be known. Finding a full set of dyno sheets for each (including AFR, boost etc) can be a bit difficult. I'm pretty sure all the people offering tunes to suit the Mk5 GTI Pirelli are represented in SE Qld, maybe apart from Revo (don't quote me on that). Superchips Bluefin and Custom Code are another couple of popular tuning solutions you can add to the list. Some performance shops (eg Bayside Performance Services) also advertise custom tuning for comparable rates to the others.

Have a browse through the VW forums at VWWatercooled Australia | and VWGolf.net.au - Australian Volkswagen Golf Forums and you should be able to dig up most of the info you want. Reps for all the tuning solutions are spread between both sites and you'll find your fair share of fanboys who bag whatever tunes they don't run, but you will be able to read some first hand info and sort through the sh!t to work out what is what.

The Pirelli is a great car. It gets the K04 vs normal GTI's K03 and stronger internals and a larger intercooler.

Mate of mine has one with APR Stage 2, 0-100 in less than 5 sec... VW Golf GTI PIRELLI Edition DSG Stage 2.wmv - YouTube

Some things to keep in mind -

If it has or is close to 60,000km, check if the DSG service has been done - this is very expensive, the 60,000km service for these things totals $1500.

The other thing is, when modding these things, while yes you can make a lot of power, the thing that kept me from ever going beyond stage one with my old DSG GTI (that's with the smaller K03 too) is the DSG itself.

The 6-speed wet clutch unit in the Golf is rated by VW for a maximum torque handling capacity of 350Nm. While people do run more than this, I'm not to keen on risking a $10,000 gearbox because, well, if it blew up I would not be able to afford to fix it. I have heard of K04 GTI's killing DSG's before, but the stories aren't very common, and they're usually unserviced gearboxes that haven't had a nice life.

Other than that, car is great, and the K04 equipped model is a definite upgrade from the MPS Gen1.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    The Pirelli is a great car. It gets the K04 vs normal GTI's K03 and stronger internals and a larger intercooler.

Mate of mine has one with APR Stage 2, 0-100 in less than 5 sec... VW Golf GTI PIRELLI Edition DSG Stage 2.wmv - YouTube

Some things to keep in mind -

If it has or is close to 60,000km, check if the DSG service has been done - this is very expensive, the 60,000km service for these things totals $1500.

The other thing is, when modding these things, while yes you can make a lot of power, the thing that kept me from ever going beyond stage one with my old DSG GTI (that's with the smaller K03 too) is the DSG itself.

The 6-speed wet clutch unit in the Golf is rated by VW for a maximum torque handling capacity of 350Nm. While people do run more than this, I'm not to keen on risking a $10,000 gearbox because, well, if it blew up I would not be able to afford to fix it. I have heard of K04 GTI's killing DSG's before, but the stories aren't very common, and they're usually unserviced gearboxes that haven't had a nice life.

Other than that, car is great, and the K04 equipped model is a definite upgrade from the MPS Gen1.
    All done, well sort of. I've put a deposit on the Pirelli.

Looks really nice and quality is great.

Rang a Giac tuner to compare with apr price wise. While the Giac Is slightly cheaper at $1250 vs $1499 for apr the upgrades are at additional cost ( $600 for additional tunes ). Ill go the apr stg 1 (229kw - 435nm) which hopefully will give me mps like power and it will be a well rounded car. Will report back.

Many thanks for everyone's views

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast