User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What BOV to get??

Default What BOV to get??

Hi All,

I have a Gen 2 MPS and I am after an aftermarket BOV.
    The car is completely standard but I want that sound when you back off the throttle. I dont want anything major loud or will harm my engine.
    I was considering the turbosmart dual port BOV.

Can anyone recommend any other BOV's or if this one is any good.

Any help appreciated,

the turbosmart dual port is supposed to be a good one - good quality, good reputation, with the added bonus of being able to run it full recirculating (factory quiet) or vent to atmosphere (loud sound that you say you like). Personally i'm not a fan of that noise, and i reckon you'll tire of it quickly - but at least with this valve you can fix that quite easily!

Best bet is to go on youtube and search a few - you'll get an idea of what they'll sound like.

You say your car is stock, and you want to hear the turbo goodness - have you considered getting an aftermarket intake? I think that's a much better sound - costs the same or less - and actually has some performance benefits.

get that turbo spooling sound and cost $20. add a few extra ponies by adding K&N filter
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Thats awesome!

I got a gfb one which u can just adjust by hand without any tool what % of air u wanna let it out
    From no sound to super loud.

Just make sure you get one that is adjustable and dual port, so that you can tweak what you want. The Turbosmart is the neatest and best engineered I've seen and requires no tools to adjust.

I agree with Smokey, I think you'll tire of the noise. If that is why you want to fit a BOV, then I think you could better use your money elsewhere, and, unless you set it right, you will potentially lose responsiveness when getting back on the gas again.

The K&N filter suggested is a better idea and it will actually save you money as they are a lifetime filter.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Yeah I think i will purchase a K&N Panel Filter, do what luke 3mps did to his airbox or maybe just put a few holes in the bottom.

Just keep in mind that with this setup you'll most likely be raising your inlet temps as you'll be pulling in warm air from the engine bay through that vent..... but if you're not strictly about every 0.5kw then i'm sure it won't worry you too much.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Just keep in mind that with this setup you'll most likely be raising your inlet temps as you'll be pulling in warm air from the engine bay through that vent..... but if you're not strictly about every 0.5kw then i'm sure it won't worry you too much.
    If it did draw hot air i would have done it. When its moving the air come from the wheel well

i dunno, man - looks like a fairly low pressure area. i'm probably wrong cos hey, that's where an SRI sits anyway. maybe if you snaked a bit of flexible ducting from the front bar up into the bottom of the airbox with a bit of mesh over the top you could get a peformance gain from the stock airbox......

Like i said, it's a good cheap way to get a bit of induction sound - I hole sawed the sh1t out of the airbox in my first car -made it sound heaps louder - but......positive it didn't go any harder. I also ran an interesting cold air feed using ag pip and cut down petrol funnels bolted to my front bumper.......ahhh to be 18 again....hahah.

i dunno, man - looks like a fairly low pressure area. i'm probably wrong cos hey, that's where an SRI sits anyway. maybe if you snaked a bit of flexible ducting from the front bar up into the bottom of the airbox with a bit of mesh over the top you could get a peformance gain from the stock airbox......

Like i said, it's a good cheap way to get a bit of induction sound - I hole sawed the sh1t out of the airbox in my first car -made it sound heaps louder - but......positive it didn't go any harder. I also ran an interesting cold air feed using ag pip and cut down petrol funnels bolted to my front bumper.......ahhh to be 18 again....hahah.
    SRI/CAI/AIRBOX mods wont net you anything until you tune it. On standard tune the ecu readjusts the ARF, the first 100k's you prob get a increase but than u'd be lucky to get a kw out of it. K&N pannel filter net me a massive 2kw gain WOW lol

GFB +1 mine is awesome.

T9002

Air filters are off topic, thread is "WHAT BOV TO GET"

I say, GFB Hybrid
    Adjustable, offers full recirc or 50/50 vent and Australian.. WINNING

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Not really off topic....we kinda talked him out of a BOV about 5 posts ago....

Not really off topic....we kinda talked him out of a BOV about 5 posts ago....
    A panel filter and a hole in the airbox isnt going to give a venting noise like a BOV and it is misleading to insinuate it will.
    A panel filter alone will give you bugger all noise what so ever, its the hole in the side of the airbox that is giving you a sucking noise, not the vent noise on lift off which was the request in the original post.

Have to keep in mind that other new members are going to read these posts and potentially take it as gospel.

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    A panel filter and a hole in the airbox isnt going to give a venting noise like a BOV and it is misleading to insinuate it will.
    A panel filter alone will give you bugger all noise what so ever, its the hole in the side of the airbox that is giving you a sucking noise, not the vent noise on lift off which was the request in the original post.

Have to keep in mind that other new members are going to read these posts and potentially take it as gospel.

Thanks for your feedback.

Will the GFB Blow off Valve fit with the standard airbox as the turbosmart won't. Unless you want it sitting in their un-secured which i don't.
    Also will i require a tune or just bolt it on?

Much appreciated,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MATMPS View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

Will the GFB Blow off Valve fit with the standard airbox as the turbosmart won't. Unless you want it sitting in their un-secured which i don't.
    Also will i require a tune or just bolt it on?

Much appreciated,

Matt
    The GFB hybrid WILL fit with the std airbox, ive run it like this in a Gen 1, someone else will need to confirm for a six mps or a gen2.
    It did foul on the bonnet ducting though so I dismantled it with an allen key and rotated the top (5 minute job anyone can do).
    You cannot run it in full vent without a tune, and I wouldnt do it anyway...
    I have run mine in either full recirc at small periods but mostly over the last 4.5 years in 50/50 mode with zero issues and it is still PLENTY loud =).

Highly recommend GFB after sales service too. At a track day one of the bolts from the top came loose and got lost, they posted me 4 more free of charge... thats pretty hard to beat.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

You wont need a tune with an after-market BOV, however you may experience some pops and black smoke on shifts (depending on how you set it up) as there will be un-metered air escaping form the system, unless you are running it at 100% recirc, which will kinds of defeat the purpose of you fitting it in the first place.

As mentioned, if you are after turbo spooling and blow off sounds, get a CAI or SRI, even the stock BOV will make the characteristic pssshhht sound with one of these intakes.

Hi Guys,

Well I havent made any purchases still but I think Im going to get a BOV soon. Thinking of getting the GFB BOV, Just going to keep the standard airbox i think.
    Anyone had any problems with GFB BOV?

Spoke with tunehouse and they quoted me $330 Installed.

Default Re: What BOV to get??

Quote Originally Posted by MATMPS View Post
    Hi Guys,

Well I havent made any purchases still but I think Im going to get a BOV soon. Thinking of getting the GFB BOV, Just going to keep the standard airbox i think.
    Anyone had any problems with GFB BOV?

Spoke with tunehouse and they quoted me $330 Installed.
    I'm very happy with the GFB BOV. No issues with the unit itself.

As for install, it's super straight forward if you want to save a bit of $$$ and can find it cheaper for supply only.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast