User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Mod - Downpipe or Accessport?

1. Default Next Mod - Downpipe or Accessport?

Hi All,

I am wishing to spend a little money on my MPS 3 (2007)

Wondering if it would be better spent on a downpipe or the accessport which is now available.

I will eventually wish to run the Stage 2 Maps on the AP, but for the moment I am thinking that with my only mods being the removal of 1 muffler and resonator from CBE and an SRI (MZR which is yet to be mapped by Cobb I believe), that the downpipe would be the best option?

From my understanding running an SRI and what will basically be a TBE is safe without a tune?

Thanks
    Glenn

Accessport

3. Default

Thanks mate, why would you lean toward the accessport instead?

Personally I would mod the car first then tune. I am currently on factory tune with turbo-back zorst, intake complete with turbo inlet pipe and TMIC upgrade. MPS runs pretty well. To me the tune is the crowning touch. I mean, you could buy a stock car, tune it and expect bucket loads more power but if its NOT engineered and designed to suit that power then what's the point? Kind of like setting up a massive pump to serve your reticulation for the front yard which was the diameter of a straw. Each to their own though

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Accessport.

You can run a stage 1 tune off the bat, and get some decent gains.

When you get sick of that or want more powahh, you can do dump pipe and fuel pump and immediately load in the free stage 2 tune off the shelf and it will fly.

Where as if you do down pipe with no tune, well, you're not gonna see much of a gain, maybe just a lift in response - and will need to buy the accesport (or another tuning solution) anyway.

Thats the beauty of the Accessport - it grows WITH you!

DP first. Cheaper too, I assume. You will get immediate gains from that. Cheapest HP you can add and it helps the car breath better. No need to mess with the rest of the exhaust, at least not for a while. The cat-back exhaust isn't that bad, esp if you like some quiet. Then once you have done whatever mods you want (I'd do TIP next, as the flattened stock TIP is as restrictive as the stock DP - keep improving the breathing), tune it once and get it all sorted in one hit.

No sense going back and forth through the tune shop or doing it yourself every time you make a change. Why tune it and then mess about with the entire configuration you just tuned for?
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

7. Default

1. AP
    2. HPFP
    3. DP

You need a HPFP to go stage 2 AP.

Adriano, I don't think that is answering his question. A new HPFP is a separate add-on which he didn't inquire about.

And I don't think the logic stacks up anyway. If in fact you need an HPFP to go to Stage 2 AP, why not do the DP first and leave the AP until last?

The rest of my argument remains. Do the tune last. Especially if you change fuel pumps.

Make it breathe.
    Consider the motor like an air pump.
    The easier the air goes in and out, the better it will run.

It's like a athlete, during a marathon, breathing through a respirator and taking a dump through a sieve.
    No matter how big his lungs are, it's still hard to breathe.

Intake and DP first, then tune of you decide to that soon.

Saying the DP makes little difference is total

You could buy my DP, SRI and FMIC.
    Cobb has settings for those already.
    Last edited by 2XS; 24-05-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Depends on your wallet. I have no experience with AP, but a good DP will set you back at least $1500-$2000 depending what you buy and who installs it.

If you go AP, you can get it and an intake (and maybe a REM with the change) for under a $1000.

Sounds like AP could be the go for instant gain, then as said above, as you mod, the AP can adapt.

That's assuming your happy tuning yourself.

stage 1 will remove all the restrictions on 1/2/3 and you can pick up a AP for 600$ shipped from www.edgeautosport.com @Eric@edgeautosport.com

i say just fork out the extra and get BOTH!

to take full advantage of the DP and intake you will need the AP anyway, plus even if you get the AP now you can still run stage 1 tunes and get some nice results

Accessport. Without a doubt.

This whole "Mod first, then tune" ideal has been thrown out the window with the accessport.

Tune, Mod, Tune again. Re-tuneing/Stage 2 maps cost you nothing. Previously with custom tunes you needed to pay every time you got it re-tuned. The accessport has completely removed that extra cost.

I had a DP before I got my car tuned and it helped the engine response slightly, but an accessport will make it feel like a whole different car. A DP adds a small amount of power, a tune turns it into a proper firecracker, you'll have MUCH more fun with it.

14. Default

Thanks for the advice everyone, although there are good points for either option, so probably more confused now that I was before hahah j/ks.

I had never considered, that the AP would also remove the restrictions in gear 1,2, what are peoples experience with this, I would have though it might actually be handy still having those restrictions in place?

If this was my last and final mod, then the DP would be best option correct?
    So saying that I will probably end up going with the downpipe first I think, one added bonus of the DP is I am after a little more note from my exhaust, which this should help provide.

Come tax time, I might also then fork out for the accessport :-D . By then I am also hoping more testing and maps have been done on various mods and brands (ie my MZR SRI etc) .. If it weren't for my damn mortgage, I would bite the bullet and get it all at once :-)

A DP definitely makes it sound a bit better. But an issue with the AP and a DP is you need a stage 2 tune for it to work properly, and for a stage 2 tune you also need to upgrade your High Pressure Fuel Pump.

If you were looking for a first and final mod then I would still say go for the AP. The DP won't change the personality of the car on its own, an AP will.

AP FTW, I only got mine yesterday so im still testing out maps but it's awesome. So far i only have an intake but the car goes heaps better just on a Stage 1 OTS Map. I can get wheelspin in 2nd with Half throttle. Direct any questions to the Cobb Forums. More intakes will be supported very soon.

Link to my post on the Cobb Forums - 2012 MPS Aus Spec Corksport Intake Maps

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Thanks for the articles, very good read.. although very COBB biased :-)

@ cargle - yeh, can't help that, but at least these guys are a vendor of many brands as opposed to it being published by a supplier - so i guess there is some level of unbias.

20. Default

If I 'were' to purchase the AP, Im thinking it might be quicker and easier to purchase the Cobb SF at sametime, instead of waiting for maps for the MZR SRI to be done?, I am not sure if MZR performance (DISI) are even still available to query etc?, this is obviously going to cost me an extra $170 odd, but if it means not having to wait for a few months, then its worth it to me.. ?

This way I could start using the Stage 1 Maps instantly.. the fact I have removed muffler and resonator from exhaust, would that make any difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast